UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Coaches Poll, AP Poll and College Football Playoff

Comments

• 8 teams would be ideal with 5 automatic spots going to the 5 major conference champions and 3 at large bids. 

Hosever if if you do that one draw back I could see is that teams would have zero incentive to schedule big out of conference games. 
    Exactly.  
  • MGoBrew said:
    Jabes0623 said:

Bama & LSU play so there’s a guaranteed top 4 loss. Bama losing to LSU & then Bama, LSU, Clemson & ND winning out is the worst case scenario for us. It would be very hard for us to jump a 1 loss Bama. 

It’s almost surreal even considering this it’s been so long. 

Bama would be best served losing to LSU next weekend.  You know the committee, which worships at the feet of the SEC, won't leave out a 1 loss Alabama team even though they have one of the weakest schedules of any teams in the top 5?!?!  I'd say Bama has a better shot of getting in the CFP with a loss to LSU than they do if they beat LSU and then lose in the SEC Championship game.  Just like last year when Auburn BEAT Alabama but got left out because they lost to UGA in the SEC Championship game and Alabama back doored their way in?!

I just have this feeling like Michigan is going to end up being screwed.  I mean, if ND loses a game, and we win out, will the committee put more weight on the head to head even though it was way back at the 1st game of the season in Sept and give the nod to ND?  Or will the committee put more weight on the fact that Michigan ran the table after that loss and showed drastic improvement over the course of the season and won the B1G Championship Game?  

IMO, this is proving more and more each year that this 4 team playoff is not enough.  Bump it up to 8 teams so you can include EVERY P5 conference champion and then you can still get ND if they're deserving and 2 other at large teams which would give a team like UCF a chance to really prove themselves.
    remember a few years ago when TCU beat baylor then was ranked 1 spot below them in the final rankings with even results?

If Michigan wins out and wins the big 10 title no way a Road game in which we lost in the first quarter then dominated them for 3 will be what keeps us out. Michigan controls their own destiny.
  • There’s no way we get in ahead of an undefeated ND team that beat us. Or a 1 loss SEC champion, 1 loss Bama (assuming a loss to LSU & LSU or UGA win the SEC) & an undefeated Clemson.

We’re going to have to be Bama fans next Saturday. 

And obviously we have to win out.
  • Georgia and Oklahoma looked good today. I wonder how that'll affect us in the first CFP coming out Tuesday night?!?!

Go Blue!!
  • edited October 2018
    Jabes0623 said:
    There’s no way we get in ahead of an undefeated ND team that beat us. Or a 1 loss SEC champion, 1 loss Bama (assuming a loss to LSU & LSU or UGA win the SEC) & an undefeated Clemson.

We’re going to have to be Bama fans next Saturday. 

And obviously we have to win out.
    a 1 loss non champion bama will not be ahead of a 1 loss Big 10 champ...

There was debate when it was a 2 loss big 10 champ vs 1 loss non champ bama.... How in the stratosphere do you believe that there would be even a debate in a 1 loss? after last year when people complained about Bama over a 2 loss.

I'd be more Worried about this scenario.

#1 Bama/LSU winner 12-0/11-1
    #2 ND 12-0
    #3 Clemson 12-0 or even 11-1 they are probably in.
    #4 Oklahoma 11-1
    #5 Michigan 11-1

Than about a 1 loss Bama pushing us out.
  • Lol Stratosphere...

I wonder about a couple of you. 

Are you saying that Bama isn’t one of the 4 best teams in the country? Are you saying you think we could beat Bama on a neutral field? Those are the questions the committee is going to be asking. And we know what their answers to those questions will be.

But at this point there’s still way too much football to be played & too many unknowns to run through all the hypotheticals. Bama beats LSU, which I think they will, & none of this even matters.
  • edited October 2018
    Jabes0623 said:
    Lol Stratosphere...

I wonder about a couple of you. 

Are you saying that Bama isn’t one of the 4 best teams in the country? Are you saying you think we could beat Bama on a neutral field? Those are the questions the committee is going to be asking. And we know what their answers to those questions will be.

But at this point there’s still way too much football to be played & too many unknowns to run through all the hypotheticals. Bama beats LSU, which I think they will, & none of this even matters.

Last thing ill say is some people on the committee openly said they thought 2 loss champ OSU deserved to be in over 1 loss Bama and that there was a debate.

a 11-1 Michigan team with a loss to potentially 12-0 ND on the road. having beat OSU in Columbus has a better SoS than OSU had last year. Win on the field and everything will work out..
  • What would happen if Northwestern does the unthinkable and beats Notre Dame next week? Assuming we beat Penn State would the committee have us jump Notre Dame?
  • If UM wins out, they are in the playoff. No ok there permutations necessary. "All" they have to do is win and the rest will take care of itself. 

• Hosever if if you do that one draw back I could see is that teams would have zero incentive to schedule big out of conference games. 
    Alabama already does this so what is the big deal?
  • The CFP should be pretty straightforward this week:

1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. ND
    4-7. LSU, Michigan, UGA, Oklahoma (any order)

Go Blue!!
  • At this point, I'll take a win in C-bus and a B1G Championship and run like hell. Forget the playoff-can't control any of that so I don't really care.  IF we can win out it'll surpass any and all expectations I could have ever had for this year's team and that's good enough for me.  But we have a LONG way to go so don't get ahead of yourselves.   
  • AP Top 25

1. Alabama (8-0)
    2. Clemson (8-0)
    3. Notre Dame (8-0)
    4. LSU (7-1)
    5. MICHIGAN (7-1)
    6. Georgia (7-1)
    7. Oklahoma (7-1)
    8. Ohio State (7-1)
    9. UCF (7-0)
    10. Washington State (7-1)
    11. Kentucky (7-1)
    12. West Virginia (6-1)
    13. Florida (6-2)
    14. Penn State (6-2)
    15. Texas (6-2)
    16. Utah (6-2)
    17. Houston (7-1)
    18. Utah State (7-1)
    19. Iowa (6-2)
    20. Fresno State (7-1)
    21. Mississippi State (5-3)
    22. Syracuse (6-2)
    23. Virginia (6-2)
    24. Boston College (6-2)
    25. Texas A&M (5-3)

Go Blue!!
  • I see osu is starting to weasel their way  back up.
  • Georgia and Oklahoma looked good today. I wonder how that'll affect us in the first CFP coming out Tuesday night?!?!

Go Blue!!
    But Texas just took a little luster off of OU's loss to them... 
  • OU still hasn't beat a ranked team.
  • College Football Playoff

1. Alabama (8-0)
    2. Clemson (8-0)
    3. LSU (7-1)
    4. Notre Dame (8-0)
    5. Michigan (7-1)
    6. Georgia (7-1)
    7. Oklahoma (7-1)
    8. Washington State (7-1)
    9. Kentucky (7-1)
    10. Ohio State (7-1)
    11. Florida (6-2)
    12. UCF (7-0)
    13. West Virginia (6-1)
    14. Penn State (6-2)
    15. Utah (6-2)
    16. Iowa (6-2)
    17. Texas (6-2)
    18. Mississippi State (5-3)
    19. Syracuse (6-2)
    20. Texas A&M (5-3)
    21. NC State (5-2)
    22. Boston College (6-2)
    23. Fresno State (7-1)
    24. Iowa State (4-3)
    25. Virginia (6-2)

Go Blue!!
  • I'm not a believer in LSU. They have an impressive win over Georgia but nothing else on the resume tells me they're better than Michigan or should be ranked higher.

Go Blue!!
  • So much football to be played yet, but 1-loss LSU ahead of undefeated ND is silly. Why not put 1-loss UGA ahead of Michigan as well if the only team the Bulldogs lost to is #3 while Michigan lost to #4?

4-3 Iowa State at number 24, folks. Two 3-loss SEC teams in the top 20. LOOOOOL.

NCAA should just throw placards with each FBS school's logo into a monkey cage and rank the top 25 in order of most poop smeared on them to least.

• Win and we’re in. 
    That should be the case, but I could see a scenario where Alabama, Clemson and ND win out.  If UGA also wins out and then proceeds to beat Bama in the SEC Championship game, do you really think the committee will knock a 1 loss Bama team down to the 5th spot?
  • zjgm02 said:
    So much football to be played yet, but 1-loss LSU ahead of undefeated ND is silly. Why not put 1-loss UGA ahead of Michigan as well if the only team the Bulldogs lost to is #3 while Michigan lost to #4?

4-3 Iowa State at number 24, folks. Two 3-loss SEC teams in the top 20. LOOOOOL.

NCAA should just throw placards with each FBS school's logo into a monkey cage and rank the top 25 in order of most poop smeared on them to least.

Totally agree with you about the joke that has 1-loss LSU ranked ahead of an undefeated ND?!  Although I'm sure ND fans are happy not to be ranked 3rd.  Heard a stat yesterday that since the CFP Rankings began, no team ranked #3 in the first CFP rankings has made it to the top 4 of the final CFP Rankings.  Based on the fact that LSU will be losing this weekend, I'd say that trend will continue for another year at least!

Regarding the 3 loss teams still finding their way into the rankings (especially the SEC teams)?  That's just another way for the committee members to pat the SEC teams on the back and pad their resumes with wins over 'ranked' opponents?!?!  Can't believe they don't have 3-loss Auburn in there as well???
  • I'm not a believer in LSU. They have an impressive win over Georgia but nothing else on the resume tells me they're better than Michigan or should be ranked higher.

Go Blue!!

What drives me crazy is that most of the talking heads on TV and radio are still giving the Fighting O's credit for wins over 3 ranked opponents?!?!  Last I checked, they have a win over ONE ranked opponent as Auburn and Miami are NOWHERE in the polls!!!
  • MGoBrew said:
    I'm not a believer in LSU. They have an impressive win over Georgia but nothing else on the resume tells me they're better than Michigan or should be ranked higher.

Go Blue!!

What drives me crazy is that most of the talking heads on TV and radio are still giving the Fighting O's credit for wins over 3 ranked opponents?!?!  Last I checked, they have a win over ONE ranked opponent as Auburn and Miami are NOWHERE in the polls!!!
    I agree... but using that logic we don’t have a single win over a top 25 team. Now we still have penn state and Ohio state still on the schedule. And the hope would be that who ever makes it out of the west would be ranked for the BIG championship game. 
  • Texas A&M, Miss State, and Kentucky (that got a gift) getting ranked like this is perplexing.

Also, how does Iowa St get that ranking? 

Just odd.
  • Just saw this, and it’s not a shock.

Non-conference wins over CFP Top 25 teams:

Big Ten: 5

ACC: 1

ND: 1

Big 12: 0

Pac-12: 0

SEC: 0

• I loved hearing Johnson & Klatt light up Saban during the MooU Michigan game. Telling Saban to bring his team to E. Lansing to play in the elements.

Unlike most I have no desire to see the college playoff expanded to 8. However what I really would like to see done, no matter the # of participating teams, is to do away with the neutral site bowl game venues & give the higher ranked team home field in the semis. 

I’d love to see a Georgia, Bama, Texas or Miami have to come to AA, Columbus or Madison for a late December showdown. 
  • Heard Klatt last night on B1G and Beyond and was fired up about how the B1G seems to be getting slighted by the CFP Ranking Committee.  He basically said no way can a 13 person committee come up with an accurate ranking from 1-25from a mathematical and a statistical standpoint.  He also made some good points regarding comparing the CFP rankings to both FPI and Sagarin rankings.  He said that the 4 ACC teams ranked from 19-25 had no business being ranked in the top 25.  For example, UVA is ranked and they lost to freaking Indiana?!  BC is ranked and they got steamrolled by Purdue?!  Yet, Northwestern, Wisconsin, MSU and Purdue are nowhere to be found in the ranking????

He went on to say that on average the CFP ranking committee ranked them over 13 places HIGHER than any of them were ranked in either the FPI or Sagarin.  He also said the same applies to SEC teams as well.  He said this is blatantly trying to pad the resumes of the top teams from the ACC and the SEC.  Also, he said the B1G had the least delineation by far as they were generally only ranked about 3 places higher on average than FPI and Sagarin.  I found this extremely interesting and this might prove to be a real detriment to Michigan at the end of the season!!!
  • Jabes0623 said:
    I loved hearing Johnson & Klatt light up Saban during the MooU Michigan game. Telling Saban to bring his team to E. Lansing to play in the elements.

Unlike most I have no desire to see the college playoff expanded to 8. However what I really would like to see done, no matter the # of participating teams, is to do away with the neutral site bowl game venues & give the higher ranked team home field in the semis. 

I’d love to see a Georgia, Bama, Texas or Miami have to come to AA, Columbus or Madison for a late December showdown. 
    I have wished for this for so long.  There is nothing like a college football game being at these historic venues.
    Unfortunately, the soul of the sport doesn’t matter to those in leadership, money pushes these decisions. 
  • Too many luxury boxes at these big stadiums that are now hosting the CFP games...