UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

What if...

ok I’m starting to get excited with camp about to start and just over a month till our first game. I have been filling the void by watching old highlights on YouTube, mostly late 90s till 2007 when Lloyd retired. 

Watching the highlights it struck me just how effective our passing game was (oh to have a QB again). Man we had some athletes. Which got me wondering who our OC was back then and it was none other than this board’s old whipping boy Mike DeBord. 

I dont think it was a secrect that Lloyd wanted DeBord to take over for him aaaaaand we all know we got RR. So I started thinking what would the past 10 years have been like if DeBord was named the HC and Ron English stayed on as DC? 

For one there is no way we drop off a cliff in 2008 like we did. Mallet stays, and maybe even Manningham and Arrington as well. I think our OL never really dips and stays at a high level. I think we stay competitive in the Big Ten maybe even win a championship. But, I don’t think we would have ever elevated much past that. Maybe even slipped to a constant 8 wins the later part of the decade. However, much better than the hell we have gone through the past 10 years. 

But, I doubt we would of gotten Harbaugh as the HC. 

Thoughts? I’m not looking to start any fights, it’s nearing the end of a long off-season and I thought it might be fun to play the what if game. 

Comments

• I think DeBord woulda just delayed the inevitable collapse. They don't drop off a cliff with DeBord, but he's a worse version of LC, so all of the frustration people had with Carr would have been transferred onto DeBord and his results would have been worse.

2005 and 2007 were pretty rough years under Carr. DeBord doesn't have an NC to fall back on so he probably lasts 3 or 4 years, and if Brandon is still AD they make some scatter-shot hire and (who knows) continue being just good enough to not rock the boat, or they drop off a cliff anyway and are still there now.

I think DeBord is Hoke lite. Hoke is better than DeBord and has a much better track record of building programs and he didn't work out, having his best year at UM with someone else's players.
  • I don’t think it would of gotten as bad as you think. DeBord would of just kept the car running with minimal distruptions. Would he have had better luck beating Ohio State? Probably not but I don’t think we see a 3 or 5 win season with him either. 

By by the way, another thing that struck me was just how highly rated Purdue was during that time! Teller had Purdue constantly in the top 25 and a lot of times rated high than Michigan when we played. I completely forgot how good Purdue used to be. What a mistake firing Teller. 
  • edited July 30
    John Cooper sorta screwed Michigan. On paper, there's no way LC should've had that record against tOSU, but people came to expect it. Tressel understood the rivalry and he ate LC's lunch.

DeBord wasn't going to change that and there was a groundswell to change the culture at UM at the time, so much so that they hired a guy with a gimmicky offense out of WV seemingly at the last minute. If DeBord kept losing to the Buckeyes there was always going to be the chant to get rid of him and find someone who could beat tOSU. And that chant probably would've gotten louder with every loss. Hoke could've taken over the program on auto pilot, but don't forget UM lost to AppSt., got drilled by Oregon, and embarrassed by Ohio St (remember 91 yards of offense?) in LC's last year, so it was gonna be tough for whoever took over. 

DeBord showed nothing as a HC that would indicate he could have been a worthy steward of UM football.

All that type of hire would've done is delay the inevitable slide if Brandon was still AD. I don't disagree that the program wouldn't have imploded under DeBord, but it would have eventually imploded once they fired him and Brandon hired his successor.
  • All fair points. That 2007 season could of been so much different if Henne and Hart didn’t get hurt in the first game. 
  • edited July 31
    Henne played in the first half of The Game that year without any feeling in his arm, so I’m told.  It was quite evident from what I saw.
    If he was anywhere near healthy Michigan could have won on that dreary day.  

Sadly I was at the App St game... nearly stroked out, damn it was hot that day.
    Then I was there to watch Oregon run all over that team as well.

What a crazy season that was.  So many lows.  Then with a healthy team we saw them dominate Florida, even with Hart coughing the ball up everywhere.

I agree, if DeBord would have gotten the nod, there is likely not the drop off we witnessed.  Who knows what would have happened to the program.  It’s an interesting thought.

• Team Recruiting Rankings:

2001 - #3
    2002 - #14
    2003 - #5
    2004 - #6
    2005 - #5
    2006 - #10 (no surprise the 2006 regular season was the best)
    2007 - #11
    2008 - #11
    2009 - #11
    2010 - #17
    2011 - #30

What do these numbers tell you?

Go Blue!!
  • That recruiting took a dive after Carr left?
  • Orrrr... that Carr's teams from 2001-2007 averaged 4 losses with Top 10 recruiting seasons? Orrrr...that Brady Hoke somehow tied for the most single season wins (11) during this era?  Orrrr... maybe it's the fact we had 2 good seasons out of 11?  Orrr...hiring Rodriguez followed by Hoke was the biggest disaster in modern day Michigan football?  Either way, it's all rear view mirror stuff that I'd just assume forget. Ha ha.
  • ok I’m starting to get excited with camp about to start and just over a month till our first game. I have been filling the void by watching old highlights on YouTube, mostly late 90s till 2007 when Lloyd retired. 

Watching the highlights it struck me just how effective our passing game was (oh to have a QB again). Man we had some athletes. Which got me wondering who our OC was back then and it was none other than this board’s old whipping boy Mike DeBord. 

I dont think it was a secrect that Lloyd wanted DeBord to take over for him aaaaaand we all know we got RR. So I started thinking what would the past 10 years have been like if DeBord was named the HC and Ron English stayed on as DC?
    The biggest question for me is if the o-line recruiting and QB pipeline would have stayed open if "band" had stayed together post LC. I loathed Debord but it's a huge what if. He really believed the job was going to be his. Completely delusional.