UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Jim McElwain On campus today... Rumored to be interviewing for Enos's vacant spot

Who would have thought last year when top 15 Michigan played top 15 florida that a year later one of those coaches might be an assistant to the other....

Comments

• Makes sense from a staffing perspective.  But wasn't he fired in disgrace?  And he's on record as not being a fan of JH. 

It will be interesting to see the dog & pony PR if he is hired.
  • Oh, and was he really om campus today?  Or did he just say he was on campus today?
  • That guy is a dirt bag with a D! I hope he's nowhere near our program.

Go Blue!!
  • That guy is a dirt bag with a D! I hope he's nowhere near our program.

Go Blue!!
    His offenses as OC of Bama were #1 #3 #4 and #7 with 2 Natty's

His Offense at Colorado St was 113th the he took over and were 52nd and 28th.. as he turned them from 4-8 to 10-3..

Like him or not he's a good OC with a proven track record of winning.. And the off the field stuff isn't even that bad. what he said that some fans threatened his life and no one could find it the truth what else has he done? its not like Florida wasn't a cesspool before he took over Urban Led the NCAA in arrests at Florida 4 years in a row.... Florida kicking 5-7 players off their team a year is par for the course.
  • Goblue88 said:
    That guy is a dirt bag with a D! I hope he's nowhere near our program.

Go Blue!!

His Offense at Colorado St was 113th the he took over and were 52nd and 28th.. as he turned them from 4-8 to 10-3..

Like him or not he's a good OC with a proven track record of winning.. And the off the field stuff isn't even that bad. what he said that some fans threatened his life and no one could find it the truth what else has he done? its not like Florida wasn't a cesspool before he took over Urban Led the NCAA in arrests at Florida 4 years in a row.... Florida kicking 5-7 players off their team a year is par for the course.
    Where are you getting those Alabama rankings when he was OC? Is that scoring offense or total offense or passing offense or rushing offense? Are those national rankings or SEC rankings or high school football rankings?

Go Blue!!
  • edited February 7
    Goblue88 said:

Go Blue!!

Where are you getting those Alabama rankings when he was OC? Is that scoring offense or total offense or passing offense or rushing offense? Are those national rankings or SEC rankings or high school football rankings?

Go Blue!!
    IDK it was from an article on another site stating his year by year record... Assumed it was total offense. but now that I look seem wrong..

However during 2008-2012 under him they were #1 or 2 in the SEC every year for total offense. Top 25 Overall every year with 2 top 15's thrown in..
  • Goblue88 said:
    Goblue88 said:

Go Blue!!

Go Blue!!
    IDK it was from an article on another site stating his year by year record... Assumed it was total offense. but now that I look seem wrong..

However during 2008-2012 under him they were #1 or 2 in the SEC every year for total offense. Top 25 Overall every year with 2 top 15's thrown in..
    Those numbers are incorrect too but that is beside the point.

Go Blue!!
  • edited February 7
    Goblue88 said:
    Goblue88 said:

Go Blue!!

Go Blue!!

Go Blue!!
    The point is you rather run up the middle 3 times in a row and punt under Drevno than have a guy who has coaches championships calling plays..

(which the rumor is if he comes here its under the premise that HE will call the offensive plays) I'd hire art Briles if it meant beating OSU who with their recruiting class and our failure this year if we don't win in the next 2 years we might lose 5 more in a row to OSU. 
  • Goblue88 said:
    Goblue88 said:
    Goblue88 said:

Go Blue!!

Go Blue!!

Go Blue!!
    The point is you rather run up the middle 3 times in a row and punt under Drevno than have a guy who has coaches championships calling plays..

(which the rumor is if he comes here its under the premise that HE will call the offensive plays) I'd hire art Briles if it meant beating OSU who with their recruiting class and our failure this year if we don't win in the next 2 years we might lose 5 more in a row to OSU. 
    Alabama Total Offense

2008:
    National - 64
    SEC - 6

2009:
    National - 43
    SEC - 5

2010:
    National - 22
    SEC - 3

2011:
    National - 31
    SEC - 2

Go Blue!!
  • Alabama Total Defense

2008:
    National - 3
    SEC - 1

2009:
    National - 2
    SEC - 1

2010:
    National - 5
    SEC - 1

2011:
    National - 1
    SEC - 1

Go Blue!!
  • Uh you can have Art Briles but not at UM!
  • Uh you can have Art Briles but not at UM!
    Yep.  That dude has gone off the deep end.
  • Goblue88 said:

I'd hire art Briles if it meant beating OSU 
    Sorry but you lost all credibility with me with a comment like that...
  • MGoBrew said:
    Goblue88 said:

Pretty sure his credibly was lost long before he made that dumbass comment…

Go Blue!!
  • MGoBrew said:
    Goblue88 said:

Pretty sure his credibly was lost long before he made that dumbass comment…

Go Blue!!

LOL.  True!!!
  • Need I remind you all that we had the ball 4 minutes to go against OSU to take the lead... however being in our 3rd string QB that is not a B1G QB made one of the worst throws I have ever seen. Also we moved the ball effectively against South Carolina until losing two oline man.... I feel we will be fine we return 9 starters in both sides and what we have as underclassman are upgrades. Now it is concerning losing some of these battles but we are off to a hot 2019 and we will need to keep them intact. If Patterson is eligible is see a 10 win season easily. 
  • Need I remind you all that we had the ball 4 minutes to go against OSU to take the lead... however being in our 3rd string QB that is not a B1G QB made one of the worst throws I have ever seen. Also we moved the ball effectively against South Carolina until losing two oline man....
    That's it right there in a nutshell.  Sparty has consistently done more with less than any team in the B1G, so it isn't the players' rankings in and of themselves.  As long as you choose the right players for your system and can develop them, you always have a chance.  What I am concerned about with this year's class is so few OL.  The program's biggest need is good OL play, and we've had talented guys come through with mixed results, so maybe the shotgun method is the best approach and you hope you can cobble together a good rotation of guys out of the spate that you sign.  Unless the plan is to convert a couple of the cache of TEs to play on the line.
  • edited February 9
    IMO the three most important players for the coming season are:  Patterson being eligible, getting OL Anderson (Grad Transfer) and Newsome being healthy and playing.
  • OL....OL....OL....OL....

Nothing else on the offense matters until this is fixed and stabilized.

Go Blue!!
  • Missed one OL!  ——-   OL OL OL OL OL.   Now that is an offensive line!! LOL!
  • Bingo.  The thought of this offense on the road (and at night) against ND and MSU is frightening.  And then AT OSU?  Ahh...yeah.  Not feeling it.
  • http://thewolverinelounge.com/2018/02/source-jim-mcelwain-visited-michigans-campus-job-interview/

"Current offensive coordinator Tim Drevno has already been stripped of his play-calling duties, according to a source."

Does this indicate that the new assistant coach will be Offensive Coordinator? 
  • edited February 11
    migoblu said:
    http://thewolverinelounge.com/2018/02/source-jim-mcelwain-visited-michigans-campus-job-interview/

"Current offensive coordinator Tim Drevno has already been stripped of his play-calling duties, according to a source."

Does this indicate that the new assistant coach will be Offensive Coordinator? 

LET THE GAMES BEGIN.

• Welcome Jimbo is also homies with Jim Leavitt who is no angel ether, I guess.
  • Other sources not confirming... Seems it may be a jump of the gun Everyone is saying that Jim McElwain is the leading candidate and that other targets are dropping out Such as Toledo's OC Brian Wright...

But no one else is ready to confirm it 
  • Harbaugh, Hamilton, Drevno, Warinner (analyst), McElwain (WRs, TBD??)....thats a pretty good list of individual, high-profile offensive coaches. Can they coexist in the same room?

Go Blue!!

P.S. Sherrone Moore (TE) and Jay Harbaugh (RB) are the other offensive coaches.
  • Jim McElwain has been offered & is expected to accept position on Michigan's staff.

Mistake on JH part!

Go Blue!!
  • edited February 15
    Jim McElwain has been offered & is expected to accept position on Michigan's staff.

Mistake on JH part!

Go Blue!!
    If you want all your coaches to be moral angel you can up being charlie strong and winning 8 a year.

Meanwhile OSU hires former fired coaches all the time some with cause and they are winning titles and making playoffs..

JUST win baby. if we win the big 10 next year you still gonna call it a mistake?

Again havn't seen you post 1 scrap of real reason as to why to not hire him... Other than he has 2 national title rings as OC and turned 2 teams Offenses around before failing at florida after half his team got kicked out for a credit card scheme that wasn't his issue..

then he gets fired for simply saying someone threatened his life... Like TBH what has the guy done other than win and get his life threatened?

• Yeah, he’s a big name, I guess. But the results don’t really back that up.

As an offensive play caller and assistant, McElwain has graded out as average by the Sabermetricians. He had two or three years at CSU and his offenses were good, but nothing special. He goes back to Florida and the offenses were terrible.

I wouldn't call McElwain an offensive guru by any stretch. He's average, but when you look at what he had as an OC at Alabama (which you always seem to go to as reference), he had so much more talent on his side of the ball than most offenses he faced and his offenses were underwhelming.

We know he’s been a part of big programs before, like Alabama and Florida, so he’ll be able to contribute something. It’s just not that big of a deal.

Go Blue!!