UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Michigan to Overhaul Offensive Staff. (Semi Confirmed Rumors)

Comments

• You realize we Georgia and is had very similar recruiting that last 2 years... strangely one team is in the Title game, with freshman all over, and the other is not even in the same breathe. At some point, coaches have to coach them up. It’s not happening here for the last 10 years.
  • You realize we Georgia and is had very similar recruiting that last 2 years... strangely one team is in the Title game, with freshman all over, and the other is not even in the same breathe. At some point, coaches have to coach them up. It’s not happening here for the last 10 years.
    They have a Senior RB going to the NFL along with like 6-7 other junior/seniors of NFL caliber who may commit...

As stated many times this year michigan is the youngest team last year and maybe the youngest team in the last few years....
  • Youth is not a valid excuse after watching true freshman year it up out there in the title game, and the guys in East Lansing being just as youthful, if not more so than us, win like they did this year.
  • Talent evaluation and player development, something we have not seen at Michigan at every position for a very long time.  You see it in a couple of players (JP, RG, MH) but not like you saw last night in the title game will all those true and RS Freshmen running around making legends of themselves.
  • Playmakers and speed galore in that game.  We're not even in the same stratosphere as these teams.  They both have true freshman QB's who played like 5th year seniors-we had a 5th year senior that couldn't throw a football, a red shirt junior who throws like a chick and red shirt freshman who looks bewildered.  Pretty sad.
  • The part that bothers me most is why are we so concerned about red shirting our QB's???  Why was is soooo important to not burn McCaffrey's redshirt this year???  If he is really as good as advertised, won't he be going pro after 3 years anyway?  Why can Bama bring a true frosh off the bench and have him bring them back to win the NC and UGA have a true frosh lead them to within a whisker of winning it all and our true frosh QB can't sniff the field because we're redshirting him???  And it took an injury to our #1 QB and complete and utter ineptitude of our #2 to get Peters to finally see the field???  I just wish Harbaugh would bite the bullet and play the BEST guy regardless of experience!!! 

The other thing I get sick of is how secretive Harbaugh is when it comes to naming his starting QB's.  If Speight was clearly the #1 all fall, why not just come out and say it???  Why come out in pressers and say it's 50/50 when that was clearly not the case as evidenced by OhNo's play on the field???  IMO, there should be a clear favorite coming out of spring.  IMO, it benefits the team FAR more to know who is coming into fall camp as the favorite than to side step the decision by keeping the battle open.  Just because you name a favorite does not mean that is set in stone and it cannot be changed.  Look at Bama for the perfect example of that making a change midway through the freaking National Championship game!!!

• There is s difference in having true freshmen step in at a position or two when the rest of the team is experienced. Also, those guys had stars galore attached to their names coming out of high school. 

Remember when Chad Henne started as a true freshmen? Had experience all around him and if he wasn’t a 5 Star he was a very high 4. 

Watching the game I saw a talent level that we haven’t been able to get here in a while but that Jim was oh so close to bringing in. I saw Alex Leatherwood that Jim almost got, there was Najee Harris that Jim was so close to getting here that people were watching the Airport gate to see if it said Tuscaloosa or Detroit. 

And we gave seen what happens when we do get those talented kids. Tarik Black was polished coming out of high school andcwas probably our best WR this whole year. Ceaser Ruiz never gave up his spot on the OL once he got in there. Gary has been a force and Solomon will be next year. And we all remember Peppers. 

We need to better develop our own beer rated guys, coach them up. College football is all about recruiting and development. Scheme and game plan are not as important as in the NFL. 
  • MGoBrew said:
    The part that bothers me most is why are we so concerned about red shirting our QB's???  Why was is soooo important to not burn McCaffrey's redshirt this year???  
    But what would be the point?  If the starter looked worse in his second season as the first stringer, a former Conference USA Rookie of the Year (or whatever the hell award O'Korn won as a frosh) couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, and a five-star RS frosh looked very ordinary, doesn't it have to be a coaching problem?  (It would need to be a helluva bunch of coincidences for it not to be coaching.)  If it is coaching, then burning another QB's red shirt probably won't make a damn bit of difference except they'd destroy another dude's confidence, and perhaps he may never recover.
  • Mason Cole was obviously a very good Olineman, starting as a true frosh, playing multiple positions, etc., but he was also the only guy that was on the line for Hoke's last year, which was a disaster, and this past season, which was its own kinda disaster.

My hope is he was either too strong, or too weak of a leader and the rest of the unit suffered.  You gotta think that the players on the line aren't/weren't as bad as they played much of the last 4 seasons.  You can't really pin everything on the coaches as they changed during Cole's tenure.  Is it possible he picked up bad habits from the Kyle Kalises of the world when he was a young impressionable lineman?

I don't have the answer but pass protection in Hoke's last year and 2017 was terrible and Cole was a key starter on both units.
  • IMO Cole regressed last year probably in part due to not playing his best position-center.  Saw some replays from last night games and at the very least there was 4 badly missed calls against Georgia.  Two offside calls, a knock in the back of the helmet after a tackle on the QB and a missed facemask.   Guess where the Refs came from....the Big Ten! ! !
  • IMO Cole regressed last year probably in part due to not playing his best position-center.  Saw some replays from last night games and at the very least there was 4 badly missed calls against Georgia.  Two offside calls, a knock in the back of the helmet after a tackle on the QB and a missed facemask.   Guess where the Refs came from....the Big Ten! ! !
    I just wonder if the pace of the game these days is too much for the refs. They miss SO many calls (regardless of which conference affiliation they have, although any game we play in seems to be exponentially worse), and it seems to be impacting games more and more.

I don't know what you could do- maybe try to get younger, quicker dudes into ref'ing? Add 1 or 2 more on each side of the ball? It just seems like refs aren't able to see everything that's going on.
  • I think I read that the NFL is going to full time Refs in the future but not positive on this.  Also not sure if the College Refs are full time or not.  To me that is one step that should be taken.
  • Oh what could have been from watching that game.

Hand
    Harris
    Leatherwood

and a few other guys that were almost UM guys.  Such a shame.

Enos has been hired but has not been named to a position yet.  Rumor I heard was he could be QB coach depending on who else is hired.  UM needs a huge splash at OC
  • And unless I missed the announcement, neither Pep or Drevno have been officially dismissed yet.  Kind of a weird limbo for everyone, although the writing is definitely on the wall for Pep.
  • It's shady, but I see a Mike Weber situation with Drevno.  This stud OL Patterson has basically said if Drevno is gone, he won't come to UM.  I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of Drevno after signing day after Patterson signs his LOI.  

• WolvyMike said:
    It's shady, but I see a Mike Weber situation with Drevno.  This stud OL Patterson has basically said if Drevno is gone, he won't come to UM.  I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of Drevno after signing day after Patterson signs his LOI.  

I mean I'm fine with Drevno staying..

But a demotion to OL coach and hiring in a real OC is the only way.
  • It's weird that a potential incoming OC would need to ride or die with JH's choice of new QB coach.  It's one thing if the dude's been here a while and an incoming guy inherits him, but the two will basically be brand new together and neither presumably chose the other.

I wonder if Enos has the inside track on recruiting a couple studs and that made his hire a no-brainer.  Lots of things happening in the background I'd guess.
  • Timmy's 10% retention bonus kicks in Thursday. Maybe news on him before midnight, but not sure $150k matters with what UM is paying some of the assistants. And Jim for that matter! 
  • The whole coaching situation is affecting recruiting now.  osu is neg recruiting us hard as a whole bunch of peeps have flipped their crystal balls for Tyler Friday from UM to osu.  Hope the slow play of coaching changes is worth losing Friday, Patterson, and probably Reese.
  • Does he have that experience?  I thought he was a RB guy
  • edited January 10
    welp looks like Tyler friday wants championships over excuses..

1 year is all harbaugh has left to prove it. recruits are fleeing no one wants to play for a 8-5 overpaid coach with a fan base that expects perfection.
  • And this is why Harbaugh’s salary & over the top antics have always been an issue. It attracts attention.

The more your salary & antics scream look at me look at me the more, & quicker, you’re expected to produce. And when you fail to do so the quicker everything falls apart. 

Honestly I’ll be shocked if Harbaugh survives this & can dig himself out of this hole. I’m not saying it’s fair because a lot of this was built on what now appear to be unrealistic expectations. Expectations that will now be heaped almost entirely on Shea Patterson. Another savior come to town...

I think Harbaugh will get a 5th year but I seriously doubt he’ll deserve it. And that’s a crying shame. The Michigan machine is swallowing another coach whole.
  • Jabes0623 said:
    And this is why Harbaugh’s salary & over the top antics have always been an issue. It attracts attention.

The more your salary & antics scream look at me look at me the more, & quicker, you’re expected to produce. And when you fail to do so the quicker everything falls apart. 

Honestly I’ll be shocked if Harbaugh survives this & can dig himself out of this hole. I’m not saying it’s fair because a lot of this was built on what now appear to be unrealistic expectations. Expectations that will now be heaped almost entirely on Shea Patterson. Another savior come to town...

I think Harbaugh will get a 5th year but I seriously doubt he’ll deserve it. And that’s a crying shame. The Michigan machine is swallowing another coach whole.
    11 wins or bust next year.
  • Some of you guys need to get a grip… Good Lord!

Harbaugh is not going anywhere. It's not 11 wins or bust next year. Drevno is not gonna be demoted to OL coach.

Go Blue!!
  • Jabes0623 said:
    And this is why Harbaugh’s salary & over the top antics have always been an issue. It attracts attention.

Do you know why horrible does the things that he does?

It's calculated and it's on purpose to take the focus and pressure off the players and put it all on himself. As a former player, I can tell you that I/we (the team) always appreciated the coach who did that for us.

Go Blue!!
  • edited January 11
    Some of you guys need to get a grip… Good Lord!

Harbaugh is not going anywhere. It's not 11 wins or bust next year. Drevno is not gonna be demoted to OL coach.

Go Blue!!
    So your gonna be fine with 7 passing td's and 8-5 again?

Saban benches his starter for a TRUE FRESHMAN to win the Natty we need a coach with the balls to do that... not one who starts the senior who threw for 0 TD's over the last 3 games. and drevno is just bad. Worst Coach in the State of Michigan and that includes every coach at Central/western/and MSU

next years team is the most talented team we will have for years we need to take advantage.
  • Man, you would think Harbaugh has gone 8-5 every single year he has been here instead of 10-3, 10-3, and 8-5 based on some going off the deep end. 
  • edited January 11
    Man, you would think Harbaugh has gone 8-5 every single year he has been here instead of 10-3, 10-3, and 8-5 based on some going off the deep end. 
    2nd year was 10-3 with the most Senior team in CFB that put the most players in the NFL of any team not named Bama.

Hard to look at that and call anything short of a big 10 title in that situation good.
  • Forgot to state went 10-3 in his first year after taking over a 5-7 team.