UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Michigan to Overhaul Offensive Staff. (Semi Confirmed Rumors)

Rumors flying since last night that Drevno (NFL), Pep (NFL) and Frey (his Alum FSU) have all accepted jobs elsewhere...(IE get another job before I fire you the Harbaugh way)

and that Dan Emos and Greg Roman (OC) will be 2 of the replacements... Would setup perfectly with Shea Patterson coming in for a possible swap to the Pistol Offense that he ran in San Fran to a Super Bowl with Colin Kappernick under Greg Roman.

(Patterson, Mccaffrey, and Milton) could all slot into that offense very well... 

Comments

• Big Roman fan.  Was hopeful that would come into fruition.  Sure would be a nice upgrade.

As for Enos... it’s very interesting, considering his ties.  Hopefully it gels quickly.

Harbaugh making moves confirms to me that he’s not ready to settle for anything.  Better today than yesterday, better tomorrow than today.

Go Blue!
  • Is Enos really the best we could do? What exactly has he done that is impressive?
  • TGoose74 said:
    Is Enos really the best we could do? What exactly has he done that is impressive?
    My thoughts/questions exactly.
  • TGoose74 said:
    Is Enos really the best we could do? What exactly has he done that is impressive?
    My thoughts/questions exactly.
    With a dude like Mark Helfrich still out of work, I think Michigan CAN do better than Dan Enos.  Helfrich was also a QB and has coached QBs and offenses of various schemes, at different levels, for 20 years.  It looks like Chip Kelly offered him the OC job at UCLA, though, so it's probably too late.
  • Roman returning to Ravens, so he's out.
  • Too bad on Roman.  I was hopeful.
  • as of now, the only hire I'm excited about is the new strength and conditioning guy.  Hopefully he can get rid of all the chicken legs on the team.

Roman is too conservative IMO.  Hopefully Papa Harbaugh gets in Jim's ear like he did on the Brown hire.  We really need an offensive home run
  • Roman must have never really been in the works because why would he sign an extension with the ravens to be there tight end coach when he could come to Michigan and be the OC and make 2-3 times the amount of money?

Go Blue!!
  • WolvyMike said:
    Roman is too conservative IMO.  Hopefully Papa Harbaugh gets in Jim's ear like he did on the Brown hire.  We really need an offensive home ru
    Look at Alabama.  Conservative can be good if you recruit and develop the right players.
  • zjgm02 said:
    WolvyMike said:
    Roman is too conservative IMO.  Hopefully Papa Harbaugh gets in Jim's ear like he did on the Brown hire.  We really need an offensive home ru
    Look at Alabama.  Conservative can be good if you recruit and develop the right players.
    And Georgia… The other team playing for the national championship this season.

Go Blue!!
  • You have to have superior talent & depth to be conservative & win big consistently. We we will never out talent tOSU, Bama, Clemson, etcetra.

The best we can hope for is to equal them. But it’s more likely we’ll have to win with slightly inferior talent. We’re going to have to rely on scheme, discipline & guts to get the job done. Bottom line we need an OC who thinks outside the box.

OC is job 1. Job 1A is building an O-line, until we can field a solid O-line nothing else matters. 
  • edited January 6

Emos to Michigan confirmed sources saying its as QB COACH

Wonder if Drevno is now staying without Roman out of the picture :( Or maybe make a run at Matt Canada. But Pep's days are probably numbered with Emos as QB coach

The only knock on Canada possibly is he doesn't play 2nd fiddle to ANYONE part of why he and LSU are mutually parting ways.  For him to come here Harbaugh would have to let him calls the plays. not sure Harbaugh would allow that to happen. but Canada could be an all star with the kinda offensive talent we are gonna have if given full control.

and if we want to start up the flight trackers and twitter trackers reddit is saying

"Canada has started to follow Michigan coaches and players on twitter"

Also Edit FWIW alot of talk about Canada is that him and Harbaugh have the same personality. Canada is said to be an Offensive savant but wear out his welcome with head coaches because he demands full control of the offense and rubs people the wrong way.
  • How is Canada any better than Enos?
  • edited January 6
    zjgm02 said:
    How is Canada any better than Enos?
    Well he has a big 10 title as OC which is something none of our coaches can say..

IDK he is highly respected as a coach as being good at his job.. His NC State teams pulled alot of upsets his Wisconson team won the big 10 title, his Pitt team was the one that upset PSU and kept them out of the playoffs..

He is not a "big" name in the media but he is a big name in the right circles is my take on it. and he likes smash mouth football like that Wisc team that won the big 10 under him that played the power game all day. Would be a good fit here but right now just a pipe dream.
  • Maybe Enos is a great recruiter?

Go Blue!!
  • Goblue88 said:
    Well he has a big 10 title as OC which is something none of our coaches can say..

IDK he is highly respected as a coach as being good at his job.. His NC State teams pulled alot of upsets his Wisconson team won the big 10 title, his Pitt team was the one that upset PSU and kept them out of the playoffs..
    I don't want to turn this into a big debate about hiring one of two guys who may never show up, but that Wisconsin B1G championship team was 8-6 w/ pedestrian offensive numbers.  Last year's Pitt team was 8-5 w/ average offensive numbers.

Looks like he had good numbers at NC State a couple times, but the ACC is not the B1G.

I think you go for a homerun hire if you can find one, or you go for a relatively unknown who you've vetted and is likely to become the next big thing.  This is Michigan.  They have the money and the rep--now use it to hire someone other than a dude from the pros whose team was 1-15 in 2016.
  • I think, I hope, Harbaugh knows he can’t afford to whiff on this hire. This decision could very well make or break his tenure at Michigan. 

He wasted his honeymoon, free pass, rebuilding period (& a couple great defenses) trying to prove he was the smartest guy in the room. It’s time to swallow that pride, put together some type of hiring committee, identify the best possible candidate for this job & then go write the check to bring him here. 
  • Personally, I'm not too thrilled about either Enos or Canada.  Is either really much of an upgrade over Drevno???  I don't think so...
  • edited January 7
    MGoBrew said:
    Personally, I'm not too thrilled about either Enos or Canada.  Is either really much of an upgrade over Drevno???  I don't think so...
    IDK again ive heard alot of people compare Canada to a Offensive version of Don Brown

Gotta remember Don Brown was a well respected coach with exactly 0 every done of importance on his resume before BC..... 

Canada has gotten his player to win big games sometimes in shootouts NC State/Pitt... His Wisc team went 8-5 but won the big 10 title game over #11 Nebraska putting up 70 points and like 300 yards rushing...

LSU this year was a team without an identity for the first half the year can you blame that on the OC or Ogeron? They had no QB and the team just looked broken on both sides of the ball at times..

Again we have no clue if Canada is Harbaugh's #1 target or if were gonna be playing Drevno ball for another year.... But I think Canada would be an all star hire.
  • I know this is not on topic, but if LSU gets a competent QB they would be a scary program.... top to bottom they have pros on every level... 
  • Watching this national title game... we are SO far away from these teams.
  • edited January 9
    Watching this national title game... we are SO far away from these teams.
    When at halftime of the national title game you pull your QB who has started all year for your backup TRUE FRESHMAN QB and then mount a comeback...

Meanwhile it took Harbaugh 2 injuries and 3 games without a passing  TD scored  to see our 2nd year QB

Guess this is the difference between Saban and mere Mortal coaches
  • Freshmen all over the field tonight.

The youth excuse needs to be buried forever. 
  • edited January 9
    Jabes0623 said:
    Freshmen all over the field tonight.

The youth excuse needs to be buried forever. 
    I mean a 5 star top 10 ranked QB (#1 Dual QB) throwing to a high 4 star Reciever (#30 WR overall) On the other side is the #1 WR (#1 WR 2015 on the field drawing the defender)

Alot of Stars next to those names... this is why we need to start getting 5 stars over 3 stars.
  • Tell that to MSU, who’s won more big ten titles and rose bowls than us in the last 20 years with 3 stars.
  • edited January 9
    Tell that to MSU, who’s won more big ten titles and rose bowls than us in the last 20 years with 3 stars.
    and who lost 44-3 to Bama when they won that big 10 title???

Srs I don't want big 10 titles attached to being the laughing stock of the National Playoffs like the big 10 has been I want to actually be able to compete with the Clemson and bama's
  • We have to compete with the 3star team down the road, before we think about bama....
  • We have to compete with the 3star team down the road, before we think about bama....
    Thats the thing once you get these full 5 star lines you just beat the living shit out of these 3 star kids all day by running their 280lb 4.6 40 DL over with 340 lb 4.4 OL...

Thats why these georgia teams and bama teams just beat all the bad teams by 50+ and make it easy...

Once we get a good line We will do to MSU what OSU did to them this year.