UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

When was the last time....

When was the last time Michigan beat a team they were not suppose to beat?

Go Blue!!

Comments

• Probably the bowl game against Fla. in what '08. Carr's last game.

No matter when it's been a long time.

I think this kind of ties into what's become my overarching point about the UM football program this century. We're just not a hungry program anymore.

We recruit with the best programs in the country, but when it comes time to buckle that chin strap & step onto that field we're a bunch of pussycats.

Honestly I'm embarrassed by Fox's advertising for next weeks tOSU game. They hype it up as one of the best rivalries in sports. It's not, it's not a rivalry at all anymore. We can't carry tOSU's jock strap most years.

Ten years ago I never dreamed I'd be calling this program an embarrassment. But here we are.
  • RR beat a ranked Wisconsin team at the big house once. 
  • zjgm02 said:
    RR beat a ranked Wisconsin team at the big house once. 
    Probably....that was the 2008 season and we beat #9 Wisky.

Go Blue!!
  • I’m watching UCLA and I am just thinking what if Rosen would have chose us
  • I’m watching UCLA and I am just thinking what if Rosen would have chose us
    I'm doing the EXACT same thing
  • People love to bang on Carr, but he had a .620 winning % against Top 25 opponents (44-27).

Michigan played SEVEN ranked opponents in the 1997 NC season. Nebraska only beat 4 ranked teams that year. 

In 2003, when Michigan may have had a case for the NC if not for the turd they laid against USC, they played 8 ranked teams in a 13 game schedule…that’s impressive.

Carr beat teams he wasn't necessarily suppose to beat while losing games he never should have lost. That drove the fan base nuts but created a lot of great moments.

Today's program has no consistency and no great moments. Outside of beating a crappy 6-7 OSU team in 2011, this program has largely underperformed and created no great moments.

Go Blue!!
  • Jabes0623 said:
    Probably the bowl game against Fla. in what '08. Carr's last game.

No matter when it's been a long time.

I think this kind of ties into what's become my overarching point about the UM football program this century. We're just not a hungry program anymore.

We recruit with the best programs in the country, but when it comes time to buckle that chin strap & step onto that field we're a bunch of pussycats.

Honestly I'm embarrassed by Fox's advertising for next weeks tOSU game. They hype it up as one of the best rivalries in sports. It's not, it's not a rivalry at all anymore. We can't carry tOSU's jock strap most years.

Ten years ago I never dreamed I'd be calling this program an embarrassment. But here we are.
    My thoughts exactly about the fact Michigan recruits like badasses and plays like fairy’s. It's almost as if kids are content with a UM scholarship these days and only a select few put the work in to be great.

Go Blue!!
  • In those days Michigan had been the same program for 30 plus years.  By that I mean the same identity.
    Strong O-line and D-line with just enough skill players sprinkled in for good measure.

Those were teams built to overpower other teams, and with that same identity, they recruited year in and out to sustain that success.

The biggest gripe everyone had with those Carr teams was when they faced a team with speed on the outside, or a mobile quarterback, everyone would scream that ‘we needed to get faster to compete’.

Remember the Michigan vs Texas Rose bowl game.  It was one of the greatest games I’ve ever watched.  Two teams playing their arses off, and doing everything they could to win.
    Michigan lost that game in a heartbreaker at the end because of some quarterback that everyone said Michigan should have been able to contain.

That quarterback, Vince Young, and his Texas team went on to win the National championship the next season against USC at the Rose bowl.

Regardless of the next season success from Texas, everyone at the time peppered Michigan for giving up 17 points in the fourth quarter, and that our D was too slow.

When Carr retired and Rich Rod took over the heart of the program was lost.  The identity that took Bo years to fabricate, eroded overnight.

I recall a long time friend close to the program, sent me an email after a fall camp practice in Rich Rods second year that summed up everything.  
    My friend said that I would not recognize this as a Michigan team.  He said, ‘you’ll see the winged helmets, but these are not Michigan level kids’.  ‘They’re fast, but power football is gone’.

That was clearly evident when we played against teams built for power, like Sparty.
    How awful was it to watch Sparty run it down Michigan’s throat for all those years?

My point is that the program many of us grew up watching and enjoying really only started to begin to rebuild after Hoke came aboard.  And though he did a decent job of recruiting, he still wasn’t anywhere near the old school base of what Michigan used to be.

Harbaugh has begun to get the kids back into the program, but this was never going to be an overnight success.
    Harbaugh won the last couple years on coaching up kids to be old school Michigan level talent.
    Last season was as close as we’ve seen to the last solid Michigan team.  We should take some comfort in that.

Sadly the holes in O-line recruiting late in the Hoke years are clearly visible this year and Michigan is paying a price for it now, but being 8-3, compared to 6-5 (which we may have seen from previous regimes) is testament to Harbaugh at the helm and some talented kids learning how to play.

This program is close to being old school Michigan, I know it doesn’t feel much like it right now, but the future does appear bright, so we can get back to whining about losing games like that Texas game once again.
    Remember, two years after that Rose bowl, Michigan went down to Columbus and was a personal foul away from beating Ohio State and playing for a NC.
    I firmly believe we’re in a 2005 season like season, where nothing is seemingly going right.

Perhaps next year is the year we get back to real old school Michigan, and perhaps this time, get over the hump in Columbus.

Just my take... I’m trying to be positive these days.  Ha 

• Gr8Mckay said:

I was just looking at the roster and the number of players who are underclassmen is astounding.  The "experts" talked ad naseum in the offseason about how this season would be a huge test for such a young team, and they were right.  Even though Michigan's schedule was about as easy as it could be in the B1G East, experience--or lack of it--apparently counts for a whole lot more than I thought.  You hear stories all the time about dudes who stepped in as underclassmen and made an impact at schools all over the country, but you don't hear (for obvious reasons) about the younger kids struggling to keep up with the speed and complexity of the college game.  I think we saw a lot of the latter this season, with glimpses of the former.

I still think the coaching staff could have done better this year, especially on the offensive side, but there is plenty to be excited about in the coming seasons.  Hopefully, this season doesn't hurt recruiting too much. 

They lose McCray, Hurst, Kugler, Mason and the two-deep FBs, so the defense should be even better next season, and the offense can't be any worse.  Next year is near make-or-break for me with respect to competing for the East title, but with all the tough road games I'm willing to punt until 2019 as long as they show improvement.  If they shit the bed in 2019, they probably never return to what they were.
  • edited November 21
    zjgm02 said:

Gr8Mckay said:

They lose McCray, Hurst, Kugler, Mason and the two-deep FBs, so the defense should be even better next season, and the offense can't be any worse.  Next year is near make-or-break for me with respect to competing for the East title, but with all the tough road games I'm willing to punt until 2019 as long as they show improvement.  If they shit the bed in 2019, they probably never return to what they were.
    If they shit the bed in 2019....then Harbaugh gets the axe and they find the fresh, young coach with a winning pedigree making a name for himself at a second tier school ala Texas with Herman.
  • Edub4Blue said:
    zjgm02 said:

Gr8Mckay said:

If they shit the bed in 2019....then Harbaugh gets the axe and they find the fresh, young coach with a winning pedigree making a name for himself at a MAC school ala Texas with Herman.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA 

Texas is 6-5 and a total dumpster fire… 

Go Blue!!
  • edited November 21

Meant second tier, not MAC.  WTS, are you saying that he wasn't the hot name with a winning pedigree for coaching vacancies last year?  He is in year 1, bet Texas is back to its winning ways by year 3.

Make no mistake about it, even you will be calling for Harbaugh's head at the end of the 2019 season if he is not beating MSU and OSU.

GO BLUE!

• Just go away already edub...
  • Harbaugh could leave Michigan for the Browns or Colts or Bears....HOWEVER, Harbaugh has the kingdom at his alma mater in Ann Arbor; his kids are in his old elementary school; his parents moved there last year and he's making $9 million per year. He's not going anywhere.

i'm willing to go as far as to say that this season might be the worst season we see under Harbaugh in the foreseeable future. And if that holds true, Harbaugh is never leaving and never getting fired and never going to another coaching job.

Go Blue!!
  • MGoBrew said:
    Just go away already edub...

Pound sand pal.  I have been on this site through all the good and bad for the last 12 years.  I ain't going anywhere.

GO BLUE!

• Edub4Blue said:
    MGoBrew said:

Pound sand pal.  I have been on this site through all the good and bad for the last 12 years.  I ain't going anywhere.

GO BLUE!

This site has changed a lot in the last 16 years I’ve witnessed, but it’s good to share all points of view, along with the love for this darn program.

Viva la UMGOBLUE 
  • Gr8Mckay said:
    Edub4Blue said:
    MGoBrew said:

GO BLUE!

This site has changed a lot in the last 16 years I’ve witnessed, but it’s good to share all points of view, along with the love for this darn program.

Viva la UMGOBLUE 

He's the one who said he wasn't wasting any more of his time on this football program, yet here he still is saying how we should ditch Harbaugh in favor of  some hot MAC coach.  I mean, really???  Try having some effing patience.  Not every program is winning NC's in year 4 of a new coaching regime like Alabama did with Saban or USCheat did with cheating, errr Carroll. 

Everyone was ready to run Lloyd out of town and when you finally got your wish, it turned into arguably the worst decade in Michigan football history.  Didn't work out so well did it???  Now, here we are in only year 3 of Harbaugh and some are already calling for Harbaugh's head???  He's got a 10 year mess to clean up but I suppose he should be some sort of miracle worker or wave his magic sharpie and everything will be good again?!?!  Whatever...
  • MGoBrew said:
    He's the one who said he wasn't wasting any more of his time on this football program, yet here he still is saying how we should ditch Harbaugh in favor of  some hot MAC coach. 
    Matty, we have at least two racist dopes on the board posting with regularity.  Edub getting frustrated and emotional after another loss is forgivable in my book, especially given the current climate and roster of posters.
  • True enough I guess.  I'm frustrated too, but not to the point of delusional thoughts...
  • Not delusional but incredibly frustrated.  For the record I never said fire Harbaugh now, never said I wasn't going to continue following along on this site for other Michigan sports and/or miscellaneous shenanigans but make no mistake I am not wasting another 4 hours of my life watching a game we are going to get curb stomped in like we are going to see this Saturday.  I also said and do want Drevno and Hamilton gone at the end of the season but I haven't given up on ole #4 just yet.  If he ain't winning the B1G and competing for a playoff spot by the end of 2019 I bet I won't be only disgruntled M fan I can tell you that!

GO BLUE!
  • I appreciate and thank you for your comment ZJGM!

GO BLUE
  • Edub4Blue said:
    Not delusional but incredibly frustrated.  For the record I never said fire Harbaugh now, never said I wasn't going to continue following along on this site for other Michigan sports and/or miscellaneous shenanigans but make no mistake I am not wasting another 4 hours of my life watching a game we are going to get curb stomped in like we are going to see this Saturday.  I also said and do want Drevno and Hamilton gone at the end of the season but I haven't given up on ole #4 just yet.  If he ain't winning the B1G and competing for a playoff spot by the end of 2019 I bet I won't be only disgruntled M fan I can tell you that!

GO BLUE!

Fair enough Edub.  I was never sold on Pep.  He was a castoff by the Browns after all.  Although, they do seem to have a way of getting rid of promising pieces of their franchise or passing over promising pieces in the draft.  

I just don't think the problems we are seeing on offense are all on Drevno.  We are now starting our 3rd string QB (although he may be the best of the 3).  We had 2 true freshmen starting at WR and the best of those 2 went down with a season ending injury.  The only real issue I have with Drevno is the lack of development of the O-line and even that is not entirely on him as I feel like that position was under-recruited by the former regime and now we are left with a hole where there should be stud upperclassmen.  

The bottom line is that this was a very young team.  And we will have a ton of talent coming back next year especially on the offensive side of the football.  I'm happy that we got to get Peters some experience this season as it should be invaluable heading into next year unless McCaffrey wows everyone and wins the job.  I think next year could be special even with the tough schedule.  But I'm also an eternal optimist when it comes to Michigan football!  B)

• zjgm02 said:
    Matty, we have at least two racist dopes on the board posting with regularity.  Edub getting frustrated and emotional after another loss is forgivable in my book, especially given the current climate and roster of posters.
    #triggeredcuck

Please keep your sjw drivel in the politics section.  
  • The coaching on the offensive side of the ball has been highly questionable to say the least and you guys are right, this is an inexperienced group that hasn't developed very quickly.  And for this team to really do anything this year it would have required not having any injuries whatsoever as the offense is way too thin.  And we got just the opposite and at the most important position.  But again, the O line is the unit that really jumps out.  Practically last in the FBS in sacks allowed and tackles for loss and the biggest reason we're on our 3rd friggin' QB after 11 games.  And yet, the coaches have made no adjustments to their game plans and have continually rolled the same sets over and over hoping that one of these games it'll happen.  It hasn't and it won't.  This group is athletic enough and can be physical but they can't grasp what they're seeing. As soon as a decent team runs stunts, picks, or multiple blitz packages at them they're highly confused. (OSU's front 7 has got to be absolutely drooling right now.) And that is coaching.  Harbaugh desperately needs an offensive Doc Brown but I have no idea who that might be.
  • We should just beat Ohio state to the punch and hire PJ Fleck...