UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

WEEK 10: Michigan (#21) @ Maryland 3:30 PM EST on BTN GAMEDAY THREAD

Maryland gives up a B10 worst 433 yards per game and their pass defense sucks giving up 259 yards per game and allows better than 60% completed passes. They've given up 34 pass plays of 20 yards or more this season.

They rank #12 in the B10 in pass offense at 164 yards per game. I think they are playing with their third string QB as the first 2 guys are out for the season with a torn ACL's.

Should be a great opportunity to get the passing game going.

What are you looking to see out of the guys this weekend against Maryland?

Go Blue!!

Comments

• Maryland gives up a B10 worst 433 yards per game and their pass defense sucks giving up 259 yards per game and allows better than 60% completed passes. They've given up 34 pass plays of 20 yards or more this season.

They rank #12 in the B10 in pass offense at 164 yards per game. I think they are playing with their third string QB as the first 2 guys are out for the season with a torn ACL's.

Should be a great opportunity to get the passing game going.

What are you looking to see out of the guys this weekend against Maryland?

Go Blue!!

Should be a great opportunity to get the passing game going.-is exactly what I was thinking as well. But don't force it. use the run to set up the pass but also work in some obvious pass formations but still give him EASY throws. Slants, quick outs, hitches anything that makes him feel comfortable. As we both said last week a good O would settle the def

so continue to pound on the ground and get Peters acclimated to QB. Its going to get rough in the next two weeks!

• Looks like this is the week to let Peters show what he can do in the passing game.  I agree with uneek though and let the running game set up the passing game!

I'd like to see us jump on the Terps early and often and win going away.  Nice confidence builder going into our game with Wisconsin would be nice!!! 

• Definitely should run to set up the pass again...that said, I loved the play action and misdirection we ran early in the Gopher game (fake sweeps, throw back screens, etc...) it really gave Peters time to scan his progressions and make easy throws. Maryland will be stacking the box early to stop the run (after watching last week's film). I would TE this team to death and keep it simple.

Running away with it early would be nice, so we could rest some guys and get some other guys a little PT. We just aren't built to run up the score early and put it on cruise control.

Go Blue!!
  • I'll take some more td runs of 50+ yards from Higdon and Evans too!!!  B)
  • Definitely should run to set up the pass again...that said, I loved the play action and misdirection we ran early in the Gopher game (fake sweeps, throw back screens, etc...) it really gave Peters time to scan his progressions and make easy throws. Maryland will be stacking the box early to stop the run (after watching last week's film). I would TE this team to death and keep it simple.

Running away with it early would be nice, so we could rest some guys and get some other guys a little PT. We just aren't built to run up the score early and put it on cruise control.

Go Blue!!
    What do you think about Peters' propensity to stare down his intended receiver right out of the snap?  I noticed it again early in the Minni game, but don't remember seeing it much at all in the second half.  Did you notice it?
  • I want to give Peters more passing experience. This is a game where we could run every single down and still win. Put in some passes on first down. Put him with 5 wide. Just give him more experience in a live game setting. 

I will I'll be at this one...trying to break my 0-2 record this year!
  • I will take some passes on first down so he will not get killed on third down!  Hopefully cut down on the big plays from Maryland’s offense.   Better kicking from Nordin.
  • zjgm02 said:
    Definitely should run to set up the pass again...that said, I loved the play action and misdirection we ran early in the Gopher game (fake sweeps, throw back screens, etc...) it really gave Peters time to scan his progressions and make easy throws. Maryland will be stacking the box early to stop the run (after watching last week's film). I would TE this team to death and keep it simple.

Go Blue!!
    What do you think about Peters' propensity to stare down his intended receiver right out of the snap?  I noticed it again early in the Minni game, but don't remember seeing it much at all in the second half.  Did you notice it?

he didn't throw much but I did see a little bit of locking on. At the same time he is probably not given complex plays something simple if like X is open throw it if not don't. You cant expect him to be masterful on progressions after two weeks or for the rest of the season for that matter. The play callers need to be more creative with their calls and designs. They need some screens, slants and other easy throws to build him up. How come they don't throw any slants just curious?

Right now he is all you got. O'NO is O'gone and not trusting anyone else in the QB rotation as well.

• I remember seeing Peters going through his progressions a few times.  On one rollout, his deep throw wasn't there so he checked down to his TE for positive yardage which was a good sign to me...
  • zjgm02 said:
    Definitely should run to set up the pass again...that said, I loved the play action and misdirection we ran early in the Gopher game (fake sweeps, throw back screens, etc...) it really gave Peters time to scan his progressions and make easy throws. Maryland will be stacking the box early to stop the run (after watching last week's film). I would TE this team to death and keep it simple.

Go Blue!!
    He was doing it a couple of times but I also noticed that the plays were designed to one side of the field so those were his only options and that's why he was staring over there. You see a lot of that with a young QB giving him 1 side of the field and 3 options to choose from.

Go Blue!!
  • zjgm02 said:

Go Blue!!
    He was doing it a couple of times but I also noticed that the plays were designed to one side of the field so those were his only options and that's why he was staring over there. You see a lot of that with a young QB giving him 1 side of the field and 3 options to choose from.

Go Blue!!

And it makes sense simply the game and give him limits chances to turn it over. He has to complete some passes to open things up on the ground. Personally like I said in a previous post they need some slants thrown into the mix especially on 1st down in running situations.

Is Speight done for the year? And if does he come back how effective do you think he will be in the two toughest games of the year?

It sounds strange but UM could backdoor their way into something if they can stay the course!!

• uneek1 said:
    zjgm02 said:

Go Blue!!

Go Blue!!

And it makes sense simply the game and give him limits chances to turn it over. He has to complete some passes to open things up on the ground. Personally like I said in a previous post they need some slants thrown into the mix especially on 1st down in running situations.

Is Speight done for the year? And if does he come back how effective do you think he will be in the two toughest games of the year?

It sounds strange but UM could backdoor their way into something if they can stay the course!!

Exactly.....what happened to the 3-step drop and throw a slant? Find the MIKE & strong side, throw opposite and get 7-9 yards, if not more?

Hitches, slants, outs, etc are a great way to get completions and build confidence with a QB. That's when you catch the D creeping up and go over the top with a SLUGO to keep them honest.

Go Blue!!
  • Been hearing that Maryland may be starting their fourth QB of the season Saturday. A walk on QB. Right now the line is Michigan -15.5. Might want to jump in that. 
  • That line seems awfully low to me...
  • Checking in from College Park, boys! And I'm freezing my onions off!
  • Is it going to snow?
    Clear and sunny all day.

Go Blue!!
  • Keep up the great work officials! 
  • Two PIs and they don’t call one????  Is this the OSU crew from last year?
  • That was a great play call on Peters TD pass to Gentry.

Go Blue!!
  • Use run to set up pass for easy throws thank you coaches for reading the forum last week. 
    I think UM is gonna be ok the next few weeks!!

GO Blue
  • I knew I should have placed a bet on this game!
  • Another nice play call. Pad Peters stats & confidence.
  • Michigan always seems to have one series or two in the first half where the other team just marches down the field and looks like Maryland is having theirs right now.

Go Blue!!
  • Did I just see Yips Nordin yelling at Jim Harbaugh on the sidelines????
  • Peters missed Evans on the crossing route on 3rd down.

Go Blue!!
  • I would like to see more aggressive passing routes on first and second down.

Go Blue!!