UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

WEEK 7: Michigan (#19) @ Penn St. (#2) - 7:30 PM EST on ABC GAMEDAY THREAD

Michigan opens as a 14 point underdog against Penn State this weekend.

Penn State averages 40 points per game while Michigan's D only gives up 15 points per game.

However, the Penn State D leads the nation in scoring defense and Michigan's offense struggles to move the ball and put points on the board.

Go Blue!!

Comments

• To win, the Michigan D will need to force a couple turnovers.  Either short fields or defensive scoring is a necessity.
  • Line is already down to -12 from what ive seen... 

I predict (IF O'Korn can hit a deep ball or 2 when they stack 8 in the box) Michigan 16 PSU 14.... If not its gonna be a long day... PSU 17 Michigan 0.
  • I suspect if they can get to McSorley w/some early knockdowns that those will pay dividends in the second half.  Again, he is not much bigger than Denard was, so hit him hard every chance you get.  Be disciplined in man coverage and the secondary will get their chances on some 50/50 balls.  Anything they can do to chip away at McSorley's false bravado will hurt the PSU offense.

This is like tOSU last year, w/ a mobile QB and difference-maker out of the backfield who can run and catch.  Hopefully, the D does better this week than last year, but even last year they played well enough to win the game.
  • There are so many storylines for this game I don't know where to begin.

1. Revenge factor – we kicked the shit out of them last year and probably held them out of the playoffs so you can bet your ass Franklin is talking about that all week.

2. I'm still not convinced they are as good as everyone says as I don't think they have played anyone yet or proved it on the field. That said, they could change my mind Saturday night by wiping us off the field.

3. Because we completely dominated them last year, do we have a mental edge over them knowing what we are capable of?

4. We are still waiting for that signature win from Jim Harbaugh so could Saturday night be that win?

5. Are we truly in a rebuild and Penn State will prove that to us or are we more talented and a better team than what we have shown the past couple of weeks?

Go Blue!!
  • edited October 16
    This is the game that has scared me all year. After how bad they were humiliated last year they will really be out to make a statement with this game. Now with a #2 ranking there is a ton on the line for them. If the running game becomes the only offense we have then it will become a long evening and could get ugly fast, only hope JOK finds his Purdue game.
  • FYI: PSU and Michigan have both allowed 16 sacks through 6 games (tied with a bunch of other teams for 96th nationally).  Their O-line still has some of the same issues as last year.
  • Doesn't seem to matter to Barkley if their O line has issues. 
  • Michigan opens as a 14 point underdog against Penn State this weekend.

Go Blue!!
    The line is down to 11.5.

Go Blue!!
  • edited October 16
    I try to be a realist in all things. As much as I want to say this will be the game when everything finally clicks. The boys are tired of hearing how bad they suck & how good PSU is...

But I just can't get there. Cut O'Korn loose & he throws 3 picks. Reign him in & he goes 10 of 20 for 50 yards. There's just no readily available solution to this problem. Add in night game, on the road, in a white out (I assume?) teams a hell of a lot better than us have gone in there under these circumstances & lost. 

The D keeps it close in the 1st half but penalties, turnovers & a completely inept O keep them on the field too long & they get gassed & disheartened in the 2nd. 

PSU 30

UM 9
  • edited October 16
    Make no mistake though this is a much more talented PSU offensive line than they have had since pre-sanctions. The difference with the OL talent is it’s mainly freshman and sophomore players. The real inconsistency has come from the right tackle spot. They have two very talented young guys there but both have been very inconsistent. Of course that plays into one of Michigan’s biggest strengths. My guess is Brown will line Gary over the RT and demand either a step up in play or a big adjustment. Both defensive fronts have been dominant. Probably will come down to turnovers and if Michigan can contain some incredibly explosive players on the PSU offense. These are the kind of games why we love college football.

Go Blue!!
  • Well...our boy Timmy's been MIA for a few days, so we have to assume one of the following scenarios:

1) he wasn't joking about tempering his interest in this year's average team
    2) he had a heart attack watching his Trojans almost lose on Saturday night
    3) he has better things to do than mentally masturbate with the rest of us.

I'd go 2, 3, 1 in order of most likely to least likely.
  • Game is ugly both teams can't score... 6 Turnovers combined. 

Michigans win 16-14 on a last second FG by Quin
  • For 2+ seasons under JH we've been told that every week is treated like championship week.

If this is true then the coaching staff should be gameplanning for this week without worrying about keeping O'Korn out of harm's way for the remainder of the season.  They should be putting him in position to do everything possible to lead this team to victory, and he should be doing everything possible to deliver on that.  Some misdirection, some option, some zone-read option...whatever it takes.  He's a fifth-year senior for chrissakes.

If he gets hurt doing so, at least you know everyone tried doing everything they could to win and there's Rutgers at home next week to get Brandon Peters coached up (which should've happened a long time ago).
  • zjgm02 said:
    For 2+ seasons under JH we've been told that every week is treated like championship week.

If this is true then the coaching staff should be gameplanning for this week without worrying about keeping O'Korn out of harm's way for the remainder of the season.  They should be putting him in position to do everything possible to lead this team to victory, and he should be doing everything possible to deliver on that.  Some misdirection, some option, some zone-read option...whatever it takes.  He's a fifth-year senior for chrissakes.

If he gets hurt doing so, at least you know everyone tried doing everything they could to win and there's Rutgers at home next week to get Brandon Peters coached up (which should've happened a long time ago).
    But what if putting O'Korn in the best position to lead this team to victory means taking the game out of his hands? Safe, one read routes and run, run, run?
  • I think that only works against weaker B1G teams.  It was pretty damn basic against Indy, and didn't seem to ask too much of the QB, and the team needed OT to get a win. 
  • Someone on scouts boards posted some stats.

3rd down conversion %:

PSU is 77th in the country with a 38% conversion rate...Michigan defense is 1st in the country with a 21% conversions allowed rate...

What happens if PSU cannot convert 3rd downs and settles for FGs?

Field goal %:

PSU is 6/13 (46%) and looking deeper they are 2/4 between 30-39 and 0/4 between 40-49 with no attempts 50yds and above...

What if PSU goes for it on 4th down?

4th down conversion %: 
    PSU is 44th in the country with a 63% conversion rate. 
    Mich defense is 18th in the country allowing 33% conversion rate.

How is PSU ranked #2 with those stats? LOL

• Here's a thought. Okorn has the mobility.. why did he only have 2 carries for 8 against Indiana, and 8 for -9 against MSU... all this is telling me and he's not using his feet enough. Look at JT Barret and how he's progressing lately. Meyer is calling plays and letting JT be an athlete. I don't know what Okorns rushing stats were at Houston, but if we cut him loose a bit, maybe it'll open up receivers and cut down on his forced throws.
  • Here's a thought. Okorn has the mobility.. why did he only have 2 carries for 8 against Indiana, and 8 for -9 against MSU... all this is telling me and he's not using his feet enough. Look at JT Barret and how he's progressing lately. Meyer is calling plays and letting JT be an athlete. I don't know what Okorns rushing stats were at Houston, but if we cut him loose a bit, maybe it'll open up receivers and cut down on his forced throws.

you cant afford to get him hurt plus that's not his style. Go old school B10 use the run to set up the pass. I would rather see O'korn make less than 25 throws a game especially if UM can lean on the run. He will have to make a few throws in the game. But if you can pass in favorable downs 2 and 6 3 and 3 that opens up the passes and settles him into a rhythm.
  • uneek1 said:
    you cant afford to get him hurt 
    Exactly.  This program would be lost without the 266th ranked passer in the country. 

Just let that sink in the next time you hear someone call Harbaugh the quarterback whisperer.
  • zjgm02 said:
    uneek1 said:
    Exactly.  This program would be lost without the 266th ranked passer in the country. 

Just let that sink in the next time you hear someone call Harbaugh the quarterback whisperer.
    Andrew Luck, Alex Smith, Colin Kapernick, and Jake Ruddock say hello. 
  • edited October 18
    zjgm02 said:
    uneek1 said:

Didn't Jake Ruddock win all big 10 at IOWA and Kap/Smith were at their places before Harbaugh got there??? Luck was the only one who Harbaugh "identified" and Luck was a borderline 5 star recruit. #4 in the Nation higher than Even McCaffrey is.
  • BigHouseFootball said:
    Those names mean nothing on the field this Saturday, but since you brought them up, let's dig a little deeper.

Luck - the son of an NFL QB, who was a top-10 QB coming out of high school

Smith - went undefeated in his last season in college.  Harbaugh chose Kaep over him, which doesn't look that wise now

Kaepernick - good college QB whose last season as a starter under JH was considerably worse than his first as a starter under JH

Ruddock - grad transfer and former starter in B1G. Still took half a season to coach him up to be a great game manager.

You guys need to stop listening to the media ramble and trust your eyes.
  • He still got all of them to produce. You can't crap on Harbaugh about Speight and O'Korn and then not give him credit for the ones who have had success with him. 
  • We can go back and forth all day long but Michigan is going to get smoked Sat. night. 24-9 is my best guess (a pick 6 and a punt return, while the D gives up 10) So forget the QB, the O line, the RB's. They all suck beyond belief and this season is a bust. I dont care why Harbaugh has the worst collection of QB's since Threat and Sheridan. The fact is, he does. Or why the O line is beyond pathetic, it just is. Or why we have no go-to back, we just do.  Just brace yourselves and dont be surprised. And BTW-next year ain't looking much better.
  • If Harbaugh can’t get more out of a 5th year QB, that says a lot about the QB.
    O’Korn is 22 years old and plays like a lost freshman at times.  

The O-line hasn’t been good, but a QB with the ability to run should not be making the mistakes O’Korn does.

I think back to the Indiana game last year and how bad O’Korn was then... sadly he’s just as bad now and I’m not sure any coach could fix him.

If Peters can’t win the job today, that’s an indictment on his mental ability to lead this team, which is scary.

Dylan may be the best hope this program has moving forward. 

Saturday is going to be ‘interesting’ to say the least.
  • “I'll tell you a story. When I first started out in this profession in 1993, I remember my wife Shannon, I took her to Bozeman, Montana – first job was a grad assistant at Cal State Fullerton – but summer of 1993, we went to Montana State. She enrolled in school there. We're living in student housing. I was making $12,000. We're living in a 600 square foot little home, on-campus, student housing. Now get this: the washer was in the bathroom and the dryer was in the bedroom. Okay?
    “But, that next summer, I got a job as a groundskeeper for an American Legion team, the Bozeman Bucks.. Which, up in that area, American Legion baseball is huge. Everybody goes out. It's pretty cool stuff. Cliff Hysell is the head coach there at Montana State, so it's a chance for me to make $6,000 for the summer – I was fired up. And the first day I showed up on the job, the guy, the head of the Bozeman Bucks, wrote me a check for $3,000. I was like, 'Wow! This is big time!'
    “But there was one day I was out there and I had to mow as a groundskeeper, so I was mowing. I went and I got out there, and I didn't bring any water, and it was hot. You're up in that Big Sky area, and 95 degrees, it could be hot, sunny, blue sky. So I had to mow the field, and it was 380 feet to deep center field. But it was motorized mower, you with me? But, I didn't have any water. It wasn't one you ride around on – beautiful ones that – they didn't have it in the budget. Maybe they paid me too much, I don't know! So I didn't have any water, and there's a water well out back. You guys know what a water well is? A water pump? So the water pump – I didn't have any water, so I went out the back gates, right? Tired, hot – pushing. And you've got to empty the bag (of cut grass), now. Carry it over the dumpster. There's a lot of maneuvering going on. I earned my money, it was good, but I enjoyed it. Very therapeutic.
    “So, I went in the back there to get some water (because) I was thirsty, so I started pumping. I started getting (to) 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 – 'Is it gonna give? C'mon. Is it gonna give? C'mon. Let's go. It's gonna give. C'mon.' So I get to like 20, 25 – I can't really remember.
    “So I turned back around, walked through the fence, go in there to mow, right? In my mind, the whole time, I'm thinking, 'If I went one more pump, is this thing gonna give?' Just one more pump. So I mowed some more, went out back, I start pumping. Get to 50, 55, 60. 'C'mon man, you've gotta give! C'mon baby, c'mon give it!' You know what I'm saying? 'Give it!'
    “BAM! Nothing. Still in my mind, I'm thinking, 'Would it give?' Go back and mow some more. Get back out there. 75, 80. 'C'mon, c'mon.'
    “BAM! Water comes out! Wow! This is great! Water's coming out, I'm thirsty, quenching the thirst. This feels great!
    “But the one thing I learned from that, that whole experience was, you've got to keep pumping before it's gonna give. And I really believe offensively, it's gonna give. You look at some passes we've missed deep, or get tackled in the backfield, big runs, or protections. We are on the path for great things to happen. So we've got to keep pumping. And we're doing that as an offensive coaching staff. To finish, and we're getting the players – and we're on our way.”
    Drevno was asked yesterday about maybe changing the offense a little bit because it's been so shitty and here was his response...he's on another f'n planet, haa - and I think there's a sexual reference somewhere in there at the end...lol

Go Blue!!
  • He still got all of them to produce. You can't crap on Harbaugh about Speight and O'Korn and then not give him credit for the ones who have had success with him. 
    I'm not saying JH stinks.  He's a great coach, and obviously knows the position, but he and the offensive staff don't appear to have done a good job with the QBs, and the whole "QB whisperer" thing is a media construct they can use for good or bad going forward.  tOSU won a national championship with their back-up QB.  This Michigan team probably couldn't win the MAC as is.  Maybe Tom Herman or Urban Meyer should be the QB whisperer?  Remember all the bad press about JT Barrett after the Oklahoma loss?  The dude is a top-5 passer now and can run the ball.

I hear what Gr8 is saying, but if all the QBs don't play well, is that a QB situation or coaching situation?  You figure even by accident one of the 5 or so guys on the roster would step up and be a difference maker, wouldn't you?

As far as what Scottsdale posted, I like Drevno as a guy, but he comes across very Borgesey in the theme of that seemingly never-ending quote.  Basically, "we're gonna keep doing what we're doing and hope it works" instead of modifying what we're asking the QB to do to improve results.