UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Jim Harbaugh is the most overrated coach in college football

1. Jim Harbaugh is the most overrated coach in college football. 
Think about this, Harbaugh is now in his third year at Michigan and his team is just 1-4 against top rivals Michigan State and Ohio State and has never finished a season better than tied for third in the Big Ten East. Given that Michigan still has road games at Wisconsin and at Penn State and a home game against Ohio State, there is a very good chance the Wolverines finish year three under Jim Harbaugh at 8-4.

Here are what some other top coaches did in year two or three at their respective schools: Nick Saban went 26-1 in years two and three at Alabama, notching a national championship in year three. Urban Meyer won national titles in year two at Florida and year three at Ohio State and has come in first or tied for first all five years at Ohio State. James Franklin won the Big Ten in year three at Penn State and won nine games in years two and three at freaking Vanderbilt. Chris Petersen won the Pac 12 in year three at Washington. Jimbo Fisher won the ACC in year three and Dabo Swinney won his division in year three at Clemson.

Putting Jim Harbaugh in the same category with these coaches right now is, frankly, absurd.
Harbaugh has gotten a ton of attention for his off field shenanigans, but he has hasn’t won anything and his failure to find a decent quarterback in three years is entirely his own fault, given the fact that he came to Michigan with the reputation of an offensive guru.

Harbaugh is now 5-4 in his last nine games with the Wolverines. Nick Saban has lost four games in his past four seasons and Urban has only lost four games in his past three seasons.
Right now Jim Harbaugh is the fourth best coach in his own division. Maybe that changes in year four, but in his third year at Michigan Harbaugh is the most overrated coach in college football.

I am starting to agree!

GO BLUE!

Comments

• It was only a matter of time before this stuff started coming out.  His record in rivalry games was mentioned a bunch over the summer.

Truth is what's the point for Michigan fans to piss and moan?  He's not going anywhere unless he wants to.  The school has way too much invested in him, and really who would want the job after him?

In for a dime, in for a dollar.

That said, NO excuses next year.  If this team isn't in the elite conversation by then, the problems at this school are systemic and cultural and they will only compete at the highest level every so often.
  • Harbaugh has done a good job wherever he has been and he's a good coach.  He won 10 games his first 2 years and we were all giddy after the first year when he won with Rudock and a bunch of guys that weren't his players.  My biggest concern today is WHERE ARE THE PLAY MAKERS??  Apparently he's a good recruiter but where are the players?  Year 3 and there isn't one standout on offense.  Not one.  The D is loaded and that's great-that's old time Michigan stuff and great to see.  But how in the hell can there be NO real play makers anywhere on offense?  I'll never understand it. 
  • Every national champion in the new college football playoff format has lost a game at home… Just sayin… 

We have 2/3 of the season to go and every achievable goal is still in front of this team. The season needs to play out before a stupid article like this gets written, but I understand the over-reaction.

The good news is this team is not as bad as it played against MSU and we have yet to see it play a great game. The ceiling is high.

Go Blue!!
  • Every national champion in the new college football playoff format has lost a game at home… Just sayin… 

We have 2/3 of the season to go and every achievable goal is still in front of this team. The season needs to play out before a stupid article like this gets written, but I understand the over-reaction.

The good news is this team is not as bad as it played against MSU and we have yet to see it play a great game. The ceiling is high.

Go Blue!!

agreed. Things have to play out and TBH UM controls its own destiny so to speak. MSU is NOT running the table so If UM takes care of biz everything else will take care of its self.
  • After having 11 players drafted into the NFL, Michigan returned only 5 starters. Basically, this entire team is a full-blown rebuilding project. The team is young as heck.

To this point, Harbaugh has relied on Hoke’s recruits, coaching them up, to turn around this program, which was a dumpster fire. But now, he needs his 4/5-star youngsters to become dominant play makers to keep the momentum going and so far, it's been a slow start. Clearly, Harbaugh has done a fantastic job recruiting, and we have all kinds of talent and athleticism. But, you can't judge the young players on 5 games.

We have highly skilled, incredibly athletic young receivers, BUT do they know all the plays and reads and adjustments, and can they get on the field and make plays? The sample size is still too small for judgment. Gotta give them time to develop and learn. 

Why hasn't the OL jelled together yet? There's been unlucky recruiting and injuries have destroyed the OL. This has been going on for 10 years and still hasn't been corrected. This year is understandable, but next year is when I expect to see a dominant OL. Harbaugh will have his OL recruits in the system for 2-3yrs, redshirted and ready to perform.

On the flip side, the D has been able to play fast and loose in Doc Brown’s system after losing so much talent to the NFL. That's been a surprise thus far, but it will get seriously tested in Big 10 play.

These are the things that truly matter this season.

Go Blue!!
  • One more year "should" do it.  Stanford was a much bigger rebuild project and JH had them winning 12 games in his 4th season.
  • Not buying the rebuild argument. Dantonio lost a number of players, had a chaotic offseason and started a very young team and a first time QB starter so most excuses are out the window. Struggling with why we should have faith in Harbaugh when he cannot prepare his team for a rivalry game at home.  We may be looking at a 7-5 season.
  • Remember when Clemson wanted Dabo gone around year 3-4??

Think they are glad they stuck with him?

Next year will be his 10th year as HC.

I am not dismissing rivalry games, but if you want to get technical, they are not worth any more/less as far as Championships go. Would we even care if JH was 24-7 and those 7 losses were only to Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa? Nope, would be perfectly happy with a 24-7 record, 2.5 years in.
  • dr81blue said:
    Not buying the rebuild argument. Dantonio lost a number of players, had a chaotic offseason and started a very young team and a first time QB starter so most excuses are out the window. Struggling with why we should have faith in Harbaugh when he cannot prepare his team for a rivalry game at home.  We may be looking at a 7-5 season.
    Because you have no other choice.  He's not going anywhere, so you can be angry or just accept it.  
  • I agree Harbaugh has to figure it out and HE WILL!!!.....QB, OL, RB's fumbling and play calling when playing in typhoon need to be addressed. My expectations were low this year with 5 returning starters but I was looking forward to seeing young ''Harbaugh talent" on the field. 5 games in is almost half the season and we're 4-1 and as bad as we played against MSU we had a chance to win at the end. Nobody turns the ball over 5 times and has a chance to win. Hoke years we lose by at least 20.....Rich-Rod 30+.

Defense is young and as good as we've seen in a while and should get better and better barring Don Brown doesn't take a head coaching job next season. Harbaugh has to get it going because if he doesn't.......good luck........nobody else is going to make it better in the near future. I believe this team will get better.....much better by next season and 2 years from now CFP and if not..............well...........refer to Nebraska.
  • edited October 11
    I suppose if Hoke & RR are the ruler Harbaugh is Lombardi.

There is no doubt Harbaugh is the most overrated Coach in CFB. He might be the most overrated human being on earth. For a man who's never finished better than 2nd he's sure made it a long way.

However at the end of the day he's our best shot for the foreseeable future. I'm personally no longer expecting a Carroll like dynasty. I suppose we're all just going to have to find a way to be happy with beating tOSU once a decade, finishing 3rd in the east , & 10 win seasons until Jim decides that the B1G, B1G life, B1G stage just isn't quite B1G enough for him after all & heads back to the NFL. Or Urban retires, then maybe we can snatch a few 2nd place finishes.

But hey, at least we won't get blown out anymore. Because you know, losing by 6 in 2 OT is so much better than by 30 in regulation. More time to drink. Participation trophies for all!

Where's my upside down UM flag...
  • I'd say he is currently. I do think we need to realize how young this team is, and give it some time.
  • I can see arguments on both sides. Let’s face it the 2 games he lost to sparky are flukes at best. The punt return and the 5 Turnover game in a downpour and if McDoom catches a wide open pass he walks in the end zone.... oh and this includes a lost with a back up QB. One lost against OSU again more of outside interference than it was coaching decisions or the players on the field. Can Michigan run the table perhaps,but remember this team is basically a team of new starters. My issue I am having is the staff is allowing too many freshman not play to ensure they redshirt. Samuels, Collins,Oliver, Singleton and Anthony are all playmakers that should be seeing the field. I believe the staff likes McCaffrey more than Peters but don’t want to throw him in when they have a serviceable QB in Speight. 
  • The first loss of the season brings out the extremes in people. So much so that it’s easy to forget that there’s a middle ground sometimes. Unfortunately, that's the world we live in today.

Harbaugh is an excellent coach. He proved that at Stanford and with the 49ers. He was a perfect hire for Michigan in 2014. Those are all facts. Nothing that’s happened in the last 3 years has changed that. He's not some sort of detriment that is getting in the way of Michigan winning games and beating their rivals. He just hasn’t done it yet.

Harbaugh’s record after the 5th game of his 3rd season: 24-7.

Saban’s record after the 5th game of his 3rd season: 23-8.

Dantonio’s record after the 5th game of his 3rd season: 18-13.

Swinney's record after the 5th game of his 3rd season: 20-12.

Kelly's record after the 5th game of his 3rd season: 21-10.

By almost every objective standard, Harbaugh has been outstanding since he took over. But because he hasn’t fared well against his rivals and because he came to AA with so much hype, the pitchforks are out. We don’t like it and it's a reminder that we still have a ways to go to get where all of us expect them to get. But if anyone thinks someone other than Harbaugh is the man to do it, you’re kidding yourself.

Go Blue!!
  • I'm fine with being critical of the guy in specific situations (like any coach at any level and any sport) but you're absolutely right.  And while I have concerns with players and some of the play calling, in the long run and over the long haul he should prove to be the best choice.  The only choice.  It's not like the guy doesn't know how to win (ask Pete Carroll. Beat him when Stanford was a 41 point dog and then beat him again 55-21 two years later when USC was ranked 2nd.)  The five 'coulda-shoulda-woulda' games still drive me nuts.  MSU two years ago, Iowa, OSU, and Florida St last year, and now MSU this year.  We should have had all of these in the bag.  But Harbaugh will get us over the hump-hopefully sooner than later.
  • I agree but I think we have to remember there have been some coulda woulda shoulda games that went our way also. 
  • The first loss of the season brings out the extremes in people. So much so that it’s easy to forget that there’s a middle ground sometimes. Unfortunately, that's the world we live in today.

Harbaugh is an excellent coach. He proved that at Stanford and with the 49ers. He was a perfect hire for Michigan in 2014. Those are all facts. Nothing that’s happened in the last 3 years has changed that. He's not some sort of detriment that is getting in the way of Michigan winning games and beating their rivals. He just hasn’t done it yet.

By almost every objective standard, Harbaugh has been outstanding since he took over. But because he hasn’t fared well against his rivals and because he came to AA with so much hype, the pitchforks are out. We don’t like it and it's a reminder that we still have a ways to go to get where all of us expect them to get. But if anyone thinks someone other than Harbaugh is the man to do it, you’re kidding yourself.

Go Blue!!
    + 1000
  • You make some good points but I cannot let Harbaugh off the hook that easily and the facts are:

ScottsdaleBlue said:
    The first loss of the season brings out the extremes in people. So much so that it’s easy to forget that there’s a middle ground sometimes. Unfortunately, that's the world we live in today.

He was and is the perfect hire.  What has changed is his lack of ability to beat MSU and build an offensive line that can control the line of scrimmage and run the ball

But improved from 2-6  yr 1 to 12-2  yr 2 and undefeated national champ in 3rd year and pounded Auburn in year 2

Beat Michigan in year two and three, despite having a bad football team in year 3

Did not have a big resume coming in, program had low expectations and not being paid $5mm per year.  

Not a great coach, never was, and on his way down already

Not convinced he is not the man but also lessconvinced he is.  No reason and no excuse to get outcoached and outworked by a lesser Sparty team that is just as young as Michigan.  We have not looked impressive on offense all season and have yet to play an elite or even very good team.

Go Blue!
    Go Blue 
  • I have to agree with dr81blue. There's definitely some very troubling issues with this UM team. The most alarming of which for me is this team, on O, has absolutely no identity. We've talked for weeks how the O has looked completely out of sorts, herky-jerky if you will. They're passing when they should be running, running when they should be passing. There's no fluidity to the O at all, from the play calling to the execution it's all just bad. Really bad. And hard to watch.

I honestly don't know if this team can go on the road to Indiana & get a win. And that's not something that should be a concern in year 3 of Harbaugh.
  • I’d really like to know who this governing body of rating college coaches is.
    Quite frankly, this is a ridiculous statement made by a salacious attention whore.

I don’t care where people around the college football world rate coach Harbaugh. 

He’s a great coach, regardless of ratings.  He’s done an incredible job of turning the dumpster fire of a once proud college power back into a team that competes week in an out.

In year one, he had his team in the mix for B1G shot late into the year.  
    Not good enough, overrated.&’

In year two, he took that same team into The Gane with a shot at getting into the B1G championship and possible CFP.  That run ended in OT, obviously disappointing, but it sure was fun while it lasted.
    Not good enough, overrated.

In year three, with the youngest team in the country, the team opens against a solid opponent on a national stage, and all demolishes them, albeit while spotting them 14 points.
    We now find this team at 4-1 after a cringe worthy loss to a rival, in a game where anything that could go wrong, did.  

We all want perfection.  We all want that perfect season for this great program.

As a perfectionist, I’m confident that Harbaugh never stops thinking of how to make this team better.

In the vacuum of today (after a tough loss), it’s easy to forget all the good and focus merely on the bad.  
    But for someone to say that he’s “the most overrated coach in college football”, I would simply ask where this rating system exists, and how he got to be so ‘overrated’... and does that even mean anything.

All I know, from what I’ve seen, he’s a damn good coach.  He was a great hire and has turned this program back into something that is entertaining.  
    He’s made Michigan football a topic that reaches every corner of this country week in and out, year round.

Again, what does that even mean?

I guess the only way to silence this farcical debate is to win a championship; I suppose then he won’t be overrated any longer, unless someone says he needs to win two.

• Gr8Mckay said:
    I’d really like to know who this governing body of rating college coaches is.
    Quite frankly, this is a ridiculous statement made by a salacious attention whore.

I don’t care where people around the college football world rate coach Harbaugh. 

He’s a great coach, regardless of ratings.  He’s done an incredible job of turning the dumpster fire of a once proud college power back into a team that competes week in an out.

In year one, he had his team in the mix for B1G shot late into the year.  
    Not good enough, overrated.&’

In year two, he took that same team into The Gane with a shot at getting into the B1G championship and possible CFP.  That run ended in OT, obviously disappointing, but it sure was fun while it lasted.

In year three, with the youngest team in the country, the team opens against a solid opponent on a national stage, and all demolishes them, albeit while spotting them 14 points.
    We now find this team at 4-1 after a cringe worthy loss to a rival, in a game where anything that could go wrong, did.  

We all want perfection.  We all want that perfect season for this great program.

As a perfectionist, I’m confident that Harbaugh never stops thinking of how to make this team better.

In the vacuum of today (after a tough loss), it’s easy to forget all the good and focus merely on the bad.  
    But for someone to say that he’s “the most overrated coach in college football”, I would simply ask where this rating system exists, and how he got to be so ‘overrated’... and does that even mean anything.

All I know, from what I’ve seen, he’s a damn good coach.  He was a great hire and has turned this program back into something that is entertaining.  
    He’s made Michigan football a topic that reaches every corner of this country week in and out, year round.

Again, what does that even mean?

I guess the only way to silence this farcical debate is to win a championship; I suppose then he won’t be overrated any longer, unless someone says he needs to win two.

awesome points because I'm right there with you. This was a bad loss but all coaches have them. They are a playmaker away on O from being a top 3 team. In regards to the O he needs to just trust the run right now. UM should continue to be a run first PA type of team PERIOD!! That's what they are built for and frankly that's how they move the ball. To me the red zone problems are as much on the play calling as much as it is the execution. You run all the way down then throw 3 straight times WTF??? I know the O line hasn't been world beaters but they have put up points and moved the ball so they aren't as crappy as the fans make them out to be. JH needs to trust the run and build off of that. For an O that is average it is their best attribute by far right now.
  • They're a lot further away on offense than one playmaker.  And no, they can't run the ball and no, they don't put up points.  They're ranked 84th in total offense.  84th.  We need to be honest-this group is awful.
  • Just to throw this out there--what changes did Penn State make after getting smacked by Michigan last year that turned the program around?

It seems the comeback versus Minnesota was the beginning, and beating tOSU was the clincher. 

They were 16-14 under Franklin in 2+ seasons and had just gotten drilled in AA.  All of a sudden with a porous O-line and banged up D they became world beaters.  At that point, the only player on the offensive side of the ball who was a difference maker was Barkley, but everyone seemed to step up BIG TIME and they haven't looked back.