UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Program Problems/Issues Thread

Rather than an individual thread for each problem or issue, air them here.

Front and center--the O-Line.  How long has it been since Michigan had a strong line for more than a season?  The mid-aughts?  Further back?  The line did a pretty good job in 2011, but still had some pass protection issues as Denard got beat up by better defenses.  Jake Long went a long way to shoring up the line when he was starting.

How many bodies have they been through since then?  How many coaches have they been through?  And things don't seem to be much better.  What's the deal?  Are they on the track track to have a dominant line in a year or two?  Cole and Kugler are gone after the bowl game, so UM will have a new LT and C next season.

Comments

• Agree 100% that the O-line has not been good.

Ulizio continues to get beat in pass blocking and that has to be addressed.
    Big Mike isn't showing what I had hoped for, I expected him to be a road grater in the run, and right now he's still looking like a big kid with huge potential that isn't getting it done.
    Kugler has been as expected, nothing more that a 1 year patch until Ruiz takes the reigns.
    Bredeson hasn't taken the next step toward becoming great... he continues to make the little mistakes we saw last year.
    Cole is Cole, but I miss him at center where I believe he was much better.

Harbaugh craves the ability to run the ball down the opposition's throat at will.  Until that happens I'm sure he will do everything he can to find the guys to get there.

I miss the days of old when the O-line would simply dominate other teams.  I have seen the tide turn in the last 12 plus years and remember clearly the shift to alternative blocking schemes to offset the talent at hand.
    We haven't had a back that was decisive at hitting holes, with vision, since Hart.

As for our trio of backs; Isaac, Higdon, and Evans.  They cannot continue to dance at the line.
    Isaac gave away key yards yesterday in crucial situations.
    Hidgon seems to 'get it' the most and fights like hell for yardage, but he isn't a game breaker, just yet anyway.
    Evans is not the same guy.  Something doesn't seem right and I'm not sure if he's injured or what.
    Until Walker can get healthy and actually get on the field, we have no idea what he'll bring to the table.

The backs need to get better at pass protection, because they have a QB that isn't mobile and capable of making plays on the run.

Speight is Speight.  He's not a gunslinger.  He's a system guy that will make good and awful throws.  I don't see anything changing, he's 15 starts in and doing everything he did going back to his guest appearance at Minnesota.
    It appears that he's everyone's scapegoat for why this offense isn't clicking, yet he's no better or worse.
    I simply hope he's adequate enough moving forward.  But, I'm realistic enough to know he'll make a mistake, and hopefully his receivers can bail him out.

The receivers thus far are showing a few signs of greatness, amid the vast display of horrible route running.
    when Air Force can lock on and run with these guys, something isn't right.
    Tarik Black (hoping his injury isn't something that keeps him out long) is showing that he will be the man.  
    Crawford makes me wonder what the coaches are seeing in practice.  In games, he continues to make big mistakes that hurt.  Aside from his ability to drop balls, his blocking is not good.  
    DPJ needs to get on the field and improve his routes, he has the potential to take it to the house after the catch, but step one is getting the ball.
    Perry serviceable, but again, he's getting no separation.

Oh how I miss Jake Butt.  This team is in desperate need of someone stepping up over the middle.

Exhale..... sigh.

At least the defense is good.

• I agree with everything above.  During the spring and fall practices I seem to remember that JH had the OL linemen play numerous positions along the line.  Wonder if they moved Kugler guard and Ruiz to start at C.  I think they have missed Agassi although they do not seem to look for the TEs too much.  If Black is hurt maybe he will get Martin in for some playing time. One good thing is that I thought McCray played much better this weekend.
  • We have some terrific tight ends, they just never see the ball. I feel that given the opportunity Wheatley and Gentry could be as good as Butt. 
  • Being posted on MGOBLOG that Tarik Black is out with a broken foot, 4-6 weeks, ouch. Hope it's fake news.
  • mgobob said:
    Being posted on MGOBLOG that Tarik Black is out with a broken foot, 4-6 weeks, ouch. Hope it's fake news.
    Well, Speight can't get it to him anyways. Haha

Go Blue!!
  • Doesn't seem to be fake news. DPJ needs to step in
  • Any truth to the rumor that Tarik Black has a broken foot?

GO BLUE!

• Just read Black has a broken foot, UGH.  Could be out 3-12 weeks too early to tell.  IMO looks like a medical redshirt for him.
  • edited September 17
    Medical redshirt? Hasn't he played too long for that? Thought it was a fourth of a season or something. 

Just looked it up. From this it would appear he could be granted it: 

A special case involves the eligibility of a player who loses the majority of a season to injury. Popularly known as a medical redshirt, a hardship waiver may be granted to athletes who appear in fewer than 30% of team competitions (none after the midpoint of the season) then suffers a season-ending injury.
  • Harbaugh confirmed the Tarik Black injury. He doesn't know if he'll be back this season.

Go Blue!!
  • A crack in his foot and he needs surgery.  Hopefully DPJ will step up and Martin will get his chance.
  • Is the fact our new kicker is among the most-valuable offensive players on the team the Harbaugh version of UM having one of the best punters in the nation when Zoltan Mesko was one of the few players drafted during the RichRod years?
  • zjgm02 said:
    Is the fact our new kicker is among the most-valuable offensive players on the team the Harbaugh version of UM having one of the best punters in the nation when Zoltan Mesko was one of the few players drafted during the RichRod years?
    LoL 
  • edited September 19
    Interesting that our running game is spotty considering factoring in that jay harbaugh is the new running backs coach.  I wonder if he is out of his depth.  Certainly he is no tyrone Wheatley 
  • I really don't think the problem is with the RBs. I think it's with the O-Line. 
  • Legit question but I agree, the issues are with the weak O line.
  • big house....their is a problem with our running backs....none of them are true difference makers....whether is it now, or next year. When Ty leaves it will be evans and higdon.....and nothing much past that (kareem? don't hold your breathe). When you have a pro style offense, in which the qb Is not a running threat, you need scary skill people. At wr, that is going to happen.....at running back? the Jury is out
  • Well you have Samuels...he burned his redshirt for 2 plays against Cinci. And Jim could finally snag a star RB this recruiting cycle. 

Bottom line though, if you get a solid offensive line they can make any RB look good. 
  • We haven't had a dominating O line or top-tier RB in what, 10 years?  15? 20?  Kind of ridiculous.
  • edited September 20
    We have landed the #1 RB in the country with Green and Walker and both have turned out to be busts.

Go Blue!!
  • We have landed the #1 RB in the country with Green and Walker and both have turned out to be busts.

Go Blue!!
    It's still too early to call Walker a bust.  JH is in love with upperclassmen, and Chris Evans knocked his socks off, so KW was redshirted last year and has been banged up this year.  If he can get healthy and Evans continues to struggle, we'll get a chance to see what he can do.
  • zjgm02 said:
    We have landed the #1 RB in the country with Green and Walker and both have turned out to be busts.

Go Blue!!
    It's still too early to call Walker a bust.  JH is in love with upperclassmen, and Chris Evans knocked his socks off, so KW was redshirted last year and has been banged up this year.  If he can get healthy and Evans continues to struggle, we'll get a chance to see what he can do.

Agreed.  Unfair to call Walker a bust just yet.  How can you call him a bust when he has yet to take a meaningful snap at Michigan?
  • MGoBrew said:
    zjgm02 said:

Go Blue!!

Agreed.  Unfair to call Walker a bust just yet.  How can you call him a bust when he has yet to take a meaningful snap at Michigan?
    What does it say that he's been on campus for a year and a half and has not taken a meaningful snap? Why is that when so many other freshmen and younger guys are playing?

Go Blue!!
  • He was redshirted last year partly because he had some classroom issues he was dealing with.  So you can't really hold that against him.  And he's been dealing with injuries this season.  I'll hold out judgement on him until I see him on the field. 

Evans looked good last year but what has he done this year?  Should we label him a bust because he has regressed from what we saw from him a year ago?
  • MGoBrew said:
    He was redshirted last year partly because he had some classroom issues he was dealing with.  So you can't really hold that against him.  And he's been dealing with injuries this season.  I'll hold out judgement on him until I see him on the field. 

Evans looked good last year but what has he done this year?  Should we label him a bust because he has regressed from what we saw from him a year ago?
    Sophomore slump? Or did he start reading his press clippings? One thing Harbaugh cannot stand is a player settling and not continuing to work and better themselves. I'm not saying that's Evans because I don't know, but is it a fair question to ask?

Go Blue!!
  • Sophomore slump? Or did he start reading his press clippings? One thing Harbaugh cannot stand is a player settling and not continuing to work and better themselves. I'm not saying that's Evans because I don't know, but is it a fair question to ask?

Go Blue!!
    Great question.  He's tripped over his feet a couple times already this season when he's had a bunch of grass in front of him.  Then he fumbled pretty much all on his own against AF.  To me that's indicative of him thinking and pressing too much.  Maybe he really misses Wheatley's coaching, or he has a bunch of other stuff going on in life.
  • zjgm02 said:

Go Blue!!
    I don't think Evans has bounced back from his concussion last season. 
  • https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/684459001

“Kekoa Crawford, Nate Schoenle, Grant Perry. Donovan-Peoples Jones is going to play a bigger role. And other freshmen are going to have an opportunity: Nico (Collins) and Oliver (Martin). One of them or both will definitely be in the mix,” Harbaugh said. “We’ve got good players and they have to step up.”

So, basically, our entire WR corp....haha

Go Blue!!
  • I say they give DPJ and McDoom a shot while sitting Crawford down.  Maybe see what Nico has as well.

Through three games, Perry has made the toughest catches IMO.
  • zjgm02 said:

Through three games, Perry has made the toughest catches IMO.
    He always has his hands where they need to be…

Go Blue!!