UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Wilton Speight - OUT for season; Is it Peters time?

Harbaugh praised quarterback Wilton Speight after this 29-13 victory over Air Force.

“The quarterback has been strong,” Harbaugh said. “He’s quarterbacking the 7th ranked team in the country to a 3-0 record. He’s quarterbacking the winningest program in all of football, the history of it. It would be good to be Wilton Speight right now.”

Is JH playing to the media and what do you think he's really saying behind closed doors?

Go Blue!!

Comments

• I don't know what he's saying, but it should be something along the lines of WTF IS THE MATTER WITH YOU!? 
  • I imagine behind closed doors Harbaugh is desperately trying to figure out a way to build a solid running game because he's fully aware of what he has in Speight & it's not good enough to accomplish what this team needs to accomplish this year.

It's beat tOSU & make it to the B1G championship game or bust from here on. Harbaugh has his recruits, his staff, his Twitter, his limelight & his paycheck now it's time to put all of that where his mouth is & win.
  • Harbaugh praised quarterback Wilton Speight after this 29-13 victory over Air Force.

“The quarterback has been strong,” Harbaugh said. “He’s quarterbacking the 7th ranked team in the country to a 3-0 record. He’s quarterbacking the winningest program in all of football, the history of it. It would be good to be Wilton Speight right now.”

Is JH playing to the media and what do you think he's really saying behind closed doors?

Go Blue!!
    I forget, do you have any eligibility left? Asking for a friend. 

• Is JH playing to the media and what do you think he's really saying behind closed doors?

Go Blue!!
    Of course he's playing to media.  When Speight was sat down against Florida for a series, we heard JH say how getting O'Korn some reps was the plan all along.  Of course it was.... that's why O'Korn has played exactly zero meaningful downs since.  

JH knows he has a problem on his hands.  A few of you noted in GDT that play-calling has been affected by Speight's lack of execution.  Question is what can be done...and what the hell is the most-expensive coaching staff in the world thinking to let it come to this.  Everyone saw Speight's performance November thru January, and everyone watched him struggle in the spring game.

Air Force looked like the superior coached team today.
  • Oh he's absolutely playing to the media. No sense in ripping your players in the media. That doesn't play well and I don't see Jim as that kind of guy. 

Behind closed doors he is he is probably trying to decide if Runyun Jr will be playing right guard or right tackle next week. That side of the line was atrocious today. 

• On a positive note, at least Speight didn't turn the ball over today.

So yay!
  • He tried. But like most of what he does, he failed.
  • If the reason the Speight is playing is because he's a leader and he understands the offense and manages the game and picks up blitzes better than any QB on the roster, what the hell happened in the red zone when you can see the blitz coming from a mile away on third down and instead of checking out of the play, he handed off to Isaac, who gets stuff and he throws his arms up in the air wondering what the hell happened!

A fourth-year CFB player and third year player in the system and second year starter needs to be able to recognize what's going on around him on the field and make that play change!

Go Blue!!
  • Harbaugh praised quarterback Wilton Speight after this 29-13 victory over Air Force.

Go Blue!!

I think behind closed doors he is miffed that the progress might not be coming as fast as he like. he also know he has two key elements of football running game and def. He has to get him first to take care of the football. Next comes the front recognition and audibling then the accuracy. JH knows Speight is a stop gap until the future. He just needs Speight to manage the game better and make the throw when needed. JH isn't asking him to make a ton of throws just 10 good accurate throws a game will open up so much.

So to your point Speight hasn't done anything really to get bashed in the media but at the same time to say JH isn't concerned about his play until now would be naive

• Quick question about Speight and the idea of the older guy starts/starter needs to be soundly beaten out for job--Speight redshirted as a frosh, so he has another year of eligibility beyond 2017, and no pro prospects, so isn't his team doomed to the same fate next year if Harbaugh is already reluctant to bench him?
  • edited September 18
    It is hard for me to believe that McCaffrey will not beat him out next spring.
  • The thing that concerns me most about Speight going forward is that he has been struggling against lesser competition.  Over the last 2 weeks, I would have thought this would have been a great time for Speight to regain his confidence.  Yet, against two teams we should have had no trouble against, Speight continues to show us the same inconsistency struggles with barely cracking 60% completion percentage and not being able to lead this team into the end zone when we get in the red zone (we are 1-10 in scoring td's when getting into the red-zone this season).  If he is struggling against the Cincinnatis and Air Forces of the CFB world, what is he going to do vs. the better defenses?
  • I got destroyed on this forum last year for criticizing Speight towards the end of the season especially the OSU game but really we saw signs of this at the end of the MSU game. Late turnovers in the MSU game really shook him. I think he's a great kid but if I were coaching him (I'm not a coach) I would build his confidence through a short intermediate passing game and and then when confidence is good, team is moving the ball, let him take a shot down field. No TE play is killing us too..The loss of Butt is huge and bigger than I anticipated. I also might try a couple 3 TE sets and mix run and pass out of those sets. Get Bunting, McKeon, Gentry and Wheatley. Seems like we have the talent but you gotta give one of these guys a chance to stand out. 
  • Could it be with the lack of protection from  the OL that the TEs are needed to block more than normal????
  • I'm concerned about Peters. So he was in the system all last year.....showed some stuff in spring...then vanished. How in the hell can't one pass O Korn?
  • I'm concerned about Peters. So he was in the system all last year.....showed some stuff in spring...then vanished. How in the hell can't one pass O Korn?

I think McCaffrey might be the best QB on our roster so Peters may never see the field as a starter at Michigan...
  • It's going to be interesting too see what Mich does with the QBs because we have a bye week and don't play Michigan State until 10/7.

Go Blue!!
  • OKORN! I'll gladly eat crow for saying Okorn is a back up at best. He has 2 things that Speight doesn't.. confidence, and ability to throw out of the pocket.
  • Hopefully that's the last game from Speight. O' Korn has 2 weeks to run the 1st team offense-should be ok.
  • Think O'Korn has deserved to be the starter
  • Harbaugh said Speight had a 'soft tissue' injury. Not sure how long he'll be out.

Go Blue!!
  • edited September 24
    Harbaugh said Speight had a 'soft tissue' injury. Not sure how long he'll be out.

Go Blue!!
    Rumor ive heard is Separated Shoulder. Which if true depending on severity means Speights season is over.

• Well the Anti Speighters got their wish. Although okorn played well. The one position that seems prepared under this regime is QB unlike others. I'm ok moving fwd with okorn peters got some burn as well so all wishes granted. As long as they have D and running game QB just has to protect the ball and it's a good season ahead 
  • edited September 24
    uneek1 said:
    Well the Anti Speighters got their wish. Although okorn played well. The one position that seems prepared under this regime is QB unlike others. I'm ok moving fwd with okorn peters got some burn as well so all wishes granted. As long as they have D and running game QB just has to protect the ball and it's a good season ahead 

Other rumor is Crawford Torn Achillies Done for year EDIT (Confirmed False). So O'korn gonna have to find someone to throw to fast.. DPJ gonna have to grow up and Nico and Martin better be ready cause they will see time..

O'Korn looked better than Speight has all year though in that 2nd half. When Speight scrambles its 100% a throw away when O'korn does he fakes a run into passing at the line LIKE A REAL QB.

• Do not wish that Crawford had this injury but between his misses, missed blocks and kick returns I was not impressed.  Hopefully others will step up.  One idea could be to employ Gentry out at WR and use the TEs more like they did in the second half.
  • Just read that the Crawford is not injured he was cramping
  • Just read that the Crawford is not injured he was cramping
    Yeah JoshHenschke just confirmed on scouts the rumors going around are not true. Crawford is not injured it was just cramping.... Good News for O'Korn... Now we wait to see if the Speight rumor of Seperated Shoulder is true or not.

• Don't expect JH to say anything with MSU on the horizon. We showed 2 different offenses against Purdue and he's not going to tip his hand.

Go Blue!!
  • edited September 24
    Don't expect JH to say anything with MSU on the horizon. We showed 2 different offenses against Purdue and he's not going to tip his hand.

Go Blue!!
    MSU should be a 40 point blowout they are worse than Purdue. But regardless if this is a major injury it will get out before 2 weeks.... If O'Korn is taking all first team snaps next week he's our starter vs MSU. Remember Harbaugh had said they were 1A 1B when they got to Florida. If they were really 1A 1B at that point O'Korn just took back 1A yesterday.