UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Urban Meyer on excuses by first-year coaches: 'They're your players'

"Everybody wanted me to say Jim Tressel left the cupboard bare," Meyer told CBSsports.com. "If I heard any assistant coach [say that], they'd be gone. You're done. Those are your players. I hear TV guys [say], 'Wait until they get their own players in there.' They're our players. What do you mean 'their players?' The minute you sign a contract, they're your players. You didn't choose me, I chose you. You're mine, absolutely."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20616982/urban-meyer-says-first-year-coach-insane-complaining-players

As much as Meyer bugs me I agree with him on this.

Comments

• edited September 7
    I agree with his overall sentiment, but my question is, who wanted him to say Tressel left the cupboard bare is what I'd like to know???  IMO, he's just acting like that to make it look like he did some masterful coaching job to go 12-0 in that first year. That OSU team he inherited was loaded and a bare cupboard would be the last thing I would use to describe that team?!?!
  • MGoBrew said:
    I agree with his overall sentiment, but my question is, who wanted him to say Tressel left the cupboard bare is what I'd like to know??? 
    Luke Fickell's agent?
  • Speaking of Luke, he'll get to improve his record to 0-2 this weekend as a head coach vs. Michigan!!!  B)
  •  there wasn't a damn person saying or wanting him to say the cupboard was bare...that team was freaking loaded which is why he jumped on that job...if they were a hot mess like the way he left florida he would still be on espn giving us his professional point of view....
  •  there wasn't a damn person saying or wanting him to say the cupboard was bare...that team was freaking loaded which is why he jumped on that job...if they were a hot mess like the way he left florida he would still be on espn giving us his professional point of view....
    Exactly.