UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

The Harbaugh Culture Change

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20590188/when-jim-harbaugh-richard-sherman-stanford-pulled-biggest-upset-cfb-history

Upon arriving at Stanford, it was clear to Harbaugh that the team was in desperate need of a culture change. Things were too lackadaisical. Players were too easily satisfied. He needed to make it known that the previous way of doing things was unacceptable.
At one of the team's first winter workouts after he arrived, Harbaugh intentionally set an impossible-to-reach time for a conditioning drill.
"When we realized it wasn't realistic, there were guys throwing in the towel and just jogging," said Moore, a senior receiver on the 2007 team. "And [Harbaugh] just sat there quietly. When we were done, he calmly called us all over and just lost it."
There wasn't one person on the team, Harbaugh told the players, who was a true competitor. If it were him in their position, he would have needed to be dragged off the field before accepting failure.
"I remember doing pushups in the locker room after a workout and he came in and was like, 'What are those? Those aren't pushups.' He kind of challenged us," said Bradford, another senior receiver. "We said, 'You're talking bad about us, we want to see you do them.' And he jumps down and does like 50 pushups. I thought he was dead at like 35 and watched him not quit and finish those pushups. He was the kind of guy that would finish what he said he would.
"Every drill, everything we did was set up for competition."
It wasn't reserved for the players, either. Harbaugh's competitive nature set the tone for everything that went on within the program. Pickup basketball games between coaches were notoriously physical. Softball games were unusually competitive. None of the assistant coaches wanted to be seen as the weak link.
"The environment was so competitive every day that walking down the hall, you wanted to walk better than the coach next to you," said Oregon coach Willie Taggart, an assistant at Stanford from 2007-09. "Once everyone understood Coach Harbaugh, everyone followed his lead and bought into it."
Sound familiar....

Go Blue!!

Comments

• edited September 6
    UM has come a long way from two years ago.  Still has some more to go but I am confident they will get there.
  • I have to admit, I still have the Hoke/RichRod hangover going just a bit.  Going into this game with UF, I felt confident we'd win, but I still had questions running thru my mind about how this team would look with so many new faces in the starting lineup.  And after watching this team come out and dominate, especially on the defensive end, I think my hangover has finally been cured!  The preparedness that Harbaugh demands from his players and coaches is so dramatically different than anything we saw from Hoke or RichRod or hell, even Carr!  If only we had a QB ready to take over the reigns!!!  Once Harbaugh gets his QB, look out!!!
  • Right there with yah MGoBrew. After Wilton threw the second pick six I was like "well this is where they fall apart" but no. They got to the locker room and man did they look like a different team. 

We talk a lot about how this program is physically different under Jim but maybe the biggest or most important change is how mentally tough the program is now. 

I think my RR/Hoke hang over might last a few more games though haha. I'll be interested to see how they perform at Penn State. 
  • End of the first half and deep in their end, they needed to run clock and get a first down.  They did just that.  That was a big sequence and good sign.

Go Blue!
  • Your watching Bo Jr. He brought back the UM football I grew up on. Great D. Superior Line and running game Solid QB play (hopefully time will tell but he did wonders with Ruddock a cast off) and national recruiting. He is only doing what he knows. and its great to watch. This should have happened 10 years ago when Carr got fired!!
  • uneek1 said:
    This should have happened 10 years ago when Carr got fired!!
    Better late than never I suppose!  B)
  • There is a very different vibe around the team-- I was talking about this with someone this week. I noticed it towards the end of last season and it has only grown.

The players have no fear...Under RichRod and through the Hoke players seemed guarded or shell shocked. Harbaugh's first season he was really reserved. Things changed after his first signing day. He was more open, more engaging. I think he knew what he had in his team and was confident that things were moving in the right direction.

The players changed too. Under RichRod/Hoke a player would say something honest or funny and apologize or take it back. Now under Harbaugh they're allowed to be themselves just like he is. He's honest, so are they. He cares about how they prepare and play and take care of their academics. If they do those things they can talk all they want. They are having fun and well prepared. 

I believe that Harbugh's personality makes him a lightning rod for the media and public-- it takes a lot of pressure off of the players. 
  • Well said Phil.  There is definitely something different and you may have hit the nail on the head.
  • MGoBrew said:
    uneek1 said:
    This should have happened 10 years ago when Carr got fired!!
    Better late than never I suppose!  B)

Maybe but I'm sure we would have a few more W's against the bucks by now LOL!!
  • Philc said:

I believe that Harbugh's personality makes him a lightning rod for the media and public-- it takes a lot of pressure off of the players. 
    I totally believe this as well.  Look at how pissy the national media was getting over Harbaugh not releasing his roster or announcing who his starting QB was leading up to the Florida game.  This was yet another way of Jim taking on the spotlight to deflect the attention away from his team to take the pressure off of his team and I think it's pure genius!!! 
  • He is a master at manipulation.
  • uneek1 said:
    . This should have happened 10 years ago when Carr got fired!!
    Fired? When did that occur?

• uneek1 said:
    . This should have happened 10 years ago when Carr got fired!!
    Fired? When did that occur?

Forced/Chose to retire what happened. Fired is what should have happened. Semantics!
  • I don't remember Carr ever being on the hot seat or that his job performance was an issue. Please expand on your position.
  • Thought Carr wanted to retire and they convinced him to stay another year.
  • mgobob said:
    Thought Carr wanted to retire and they convinced him to stay another year.
    That's how I understand it. Wanted to retire after 2006 but Martin asked for one more year...then Martin still screws up the hire. 
  • Actually, that's not the way it happened at all.  Carr didn't want to retire but he had multiple problems: 1) Tressel owned his ass.  BIG problem. 2) Appy St.  MAJOR disgrace. 3) He was losing Henne, Hart, Long, Manningham, Arrington, et al.  making his "decision" easier, knowing that the powers-that-be were just hoping he'd leave. He hinted at retiring the year before but then hung on another year, just long enough to f'k up recruiting.  Martin then hired Rodriguez (epic disaster) while Lloyd hung around Schembechler Hall, undermining Rodriguez at every turn (which officially makes Carr a POS.)  It's all ancient history and not worth debating because here's what I know: Carr couldn't carry Harbaugh's jock, whether it's recruiting, X's and O's, or any other damn thing.  We're tough, we're fast, and we compete.  All things Carr could only conjure up about every 4 years, if that.  Sorry, that's the facts.
  • Well that's a nice fairy tale you spun there with zero truth to it. 
  • Tressel didn't own Carr?  Appy State wasn't a disgrace? Losing Henne, Hart, Long, Manningham and Arrington didn't make his decision easier?  He didn't undermine Rodriguez? (that comes from John U. Bacon and his book so don't blame me for this one.) Harbaugh isn't a better coach?  Which part of this is a fairy tale?
  • There are a lot of things you can say about LC but after 7 years of Hoke/RR you can start with giving the guy some credit.

Hoke/RR proved that the Michigan job isn't easy and LC did a pretty good job of it.
  • I've given Carr plenty of credit in the past.  He won a NC, multiple Big Ten Championships, and his record vs top 10 opponents (20-8) is very good.  But like anything else, there's always a flip side.  
  • edited September 8
    TK23Blue said:
    I've given Carr plenty of credit in the past.  He won a NC, multiple Big Ten Championships, and his record vs top 10 opponents (20-8) is very good.  But like anything else, there's always a flip side.  

Im with you TK. Its like when bad people die they are Saints although they did bad stuff when they lived. I loved Carr won a NC great coach kept UM winning from 96-04 no issues there. However after App St there is no way you are telling me if UM doesn't salvage that bowl game he isn't fired if he wasnt retiring? yes I know he retired prior to the game but that's my point He knew he was not getting it done. Everything TK said was on point and at the end of the day we can all agree even LC that it was time. He wasn't technically fired but he was on the way out within a year tops. The program was not heading in the right direction.

UM had the chance to hire JH then who was at Stanford and would have gladly came to UM at that time. However with the DUI thing and his relationship with Carr at the time UM was not ready. It has since worked out and everything is good but if they would have hired him when I was calling for it on these message boards in 06 they would be at worse 500 vs OSU.

• edited September 8
    Sure he couldn't beat Tressell and all those guys were leaving but he wanted to leave after 2006 and Martin wanted one more year, and he probably looked at that team and thought it was going to be another great one so he signed on. 

And no, I don't think there is any way Martin would have fired him if he wanted to come back for 2008. Martin was always a numbers guy. He got the department out of the red, and updated our facilities. He wasn't a sports guy. He was terrible at the whole hiring a coach thing. 

And what is undermining RR? That he talked to some of the players and their families about the new offense that was coming in and reccomended they transfer? I can see how that would rub some fans the wrong way but he was doing what was best for the player. And let's be real RR did plenty on his own to undermine his time here at M. 

Was Harbaugh on anyone's list in 2006? I thought it was all Les Miles all the time. 
  • The story I heard is that LC was hoping to leave on a high note and be able to name his successor. Prior to App St, people thought that it might be a another NC caliber team. One of the local journalists even had a book deal contingent on Michigan having a banner year. Which obviously didn't happen. Ugh :(

We're probably lucky things went down like they did-- we might have ended up with Mike Debord as head coach. 

As it is events were put in motion that eventually swept Brandon away and brought Harbaugh here.
  • Yep, it's all good now. We could have had Harbaugh over Hoke but Brandon never reached out (he wanted Harbaugh to call HIM) Just one of a hundred reasons why I'm so happy Brandon is gone. Total fool.
  • Was it all worth it? 10 years of wondering the wilderness. It just ticks me off that we probably could of had Jim after RR was let go but Brandon was Mr. Ego. 

Think of where we would be if if we got Jim in 2011. 

That whole off season getting Jim is unlike anything I had ever experienced. It started with just the Michigan fans saying we could get him and everyone else in the world saying no way. Then slowly college analysts said it might happen but the NFL guys said no way-they couldn't comprehend a top NFL coach leaving the league. Then when it appeared it was actually happening I just had s sense of "holy s$&t this is actually going to happen! 
  • Um, why are you guys reliving a past nightmare, when we have a wonderful present, and future now? All is being righted in our little world finally. Smile and enjoy!