UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

WEEK 2: Cincinnati @ Michigan (#11) GAMEDAY THREAD

Comments

• Idk what to think. Is this a hangover? I mean the offense didn't do anything last week either.. and it's clearly not doing anything this week
  • Shows how little confidence Jim has in Speight. 3rd and 11 and he calls a 1 yard pass. 
  • Willie just isn't it, as I said last week. So, JH must love him or our other guys are not that good.

2nd and 16 and throw a 4 yd pass...3rd and 11 and throw a 1 yd pass...finished off with a shank punt that barely passed the line of scrimmage - this game has all the fixings for an upset...we were 31 pt favorites today.

Go Blue!!
  • God, were trying to give this game away, 
  • edited September 9
    GOD DANG RIGHT!!! PERRY TD MEEEEEECHIGAM!!!!

24-14 blue.
  • Needed that momentum back!!!!!! 
  • Since when do you have to yank the runner down to enforce the horse collar tackle????
  • I was wondering that myself umgoblue14
  • Win or lose this is certainly the worst game this program has played under Jim. 
  • The play calling in this game has been horrendous.
  • Pick 6 x 2. Hill for the go ahead TD RETURN. 36-14 
  • Win or lose this is certainly the worst game this program has played under Jim. 
    How was that 2nd and 3rd quarter for your Hoke/rr hangover syndrome? Haha I felt it a little too.
  • Hats off to Fickel & Co. for bringing what they had. There is absolutely a lot to learn from this game for Michigan. Brock Huard was a pleasant surprise as an analyst.
  • Sorry Huard is mister repeat.  Not enough throws to the TEs and how about giving the FBs a bone.
  • Our offense is clearly inept with Speight at the helm. Unfortunately, we have no one else
  • Speight continues to regress.

Ty Isaac has been a pleasant surprise.

Our D is still fast.

JDP doesn't need to be returning punts at this point in his life.

Coaches need to make better decisions. 

Chalk this one up to a young team having a little bit of a let down after a huge win. We're better than we showed today. However, Speight is a real concern moving forward. 

2-0 I'll take it 
  • edited September 9
    Ugly game.  If the opponent was any good, Michigan probably loses today.  Crappy officiating didn't help.

5 starts in a row in which Speight makes mistake after mistake.  Sorry, bros, the next game he costs this team with his mistakes is all on the coaching staff.  His play has screamed that he needs to sit and they continue marching him out there.  Maybe he's the best option they have in practice, but it isn't translating to the games.  He's a game manager who turns the ball over, and the team is competitive despite his brainfarts.  Put in someone who makes better in-game decisions and go a little more vanilla with the offense.  It's not like the play-calling is setting the world on fire anyway.

The punting is bad.  Red zone offense is bad.  But a win's a win.
  • Speight is horrendous, the O line almost as bad, dumb penalties, no energy, suddenly ignoring the TE's, terrible play calling, you name it. Sure hope this was just a hangover game-if we keep playing like this we will lose to MSU. Christ, the defense practically out scored the offense. Pathetic.
  • Yeah I thought I was watching a Hoke led team for a big chunk of the afternoon Jsj. 

The play calling was was really bad today. We were ripping off runs in 5 yard chunks for the most part but it seemed like the plan was to throw and get Speight in sync with the WRs. Ty Issac had another great game and is clearly the #1 RB. What is going on with Evans? I thought he would take a big leap this year but so far has been disappointing. 

Defense...I mean hard to get on them too much when they score 14 points. Idnt that 3 TDs off 4 turnovers by the defense this year? Gary was far too quiet until he got that bogus targeting call that seemed to wake him up. We were lucky that a few throws were off because they would of gone for TDs. But again, young secondary. 

The big thing is Speight. It's like he understands the offense. He can read a defense. He knows what to do and where to go but he just lacks the athletic ability to actually do it. Maybe he'all make a good coach one day. But man, he just can't get it done physically. And it's killing this offense. He wasnt even a game manager today. I'd take a game manager! 

I just dont don't know what you do at this point. I don't think O'Korn is the answer. He seems to panic in the pocket and seems unsure of where to go with the ball. I was really hoping that Peters would get extended playing time today so we could see what he has in an actual game. 

We won won which is all that counts but man, I don't feel good about it. Lots to work on. 
  • I don't know what happened during fall camp, but during the Spring, Peters displayed the better arm talent over Speight and O'Korn: his deep balls were more accurate, every throw seemed to have better zip on it and he made good decisions for the most part.

Problem is, Speight and O’Korn ended up winning this competition b/c of their prior experience. Speight led Michigan to 10 wins last year and the doorstep of the College Football Playoff. That doesn’t mean he should have been given the starting job....it just means Peters needed to prove, without a doubt, that’s he was the best QB to get it and even though he is physically better, he lacks the maturity and leadership skills Harbaugh was apparently looking for.

Go Blue!!
  • Got a question for you Scottsdale. I was reading an article where Jim was talking about the fumble Speight had on the goal line. Jim said he had been telling Speight that it was only a matter of time until he fumbled if he kept handing the ball off like that, and Saturday was the day and that it's a bad habit he has to break. 

Any idea of what hat he is doing wrong? Article implied it is because he hands the bell off with one hand but it didn't clearify. Any idea? Don't most habdcthe ball off with one hand? 
  • Its great to hear another season of UM has a bad QB horrible line blah blah blah....led by Scottsdale of course who else LOL

Its amazing how far this team has come since Hoke and your complaining about Speight? Look I will be the first to say he has flaws and he isn't perfect but what is the solution? Exactly he is the best option. Your not putting in O'korn nor a freshman to run the O and set them back another year. What has he done to really lose the job? He threw the picks against FL came back ad won the game and made a few good throws after his mistakes. He def missed throws sat but he made some too and with a great def and running game like UM has you don't need the QB to be special. Speight just has to learn to manage the game better that's all. Oh yeah and learn how to throw a better deep ball. but this campaign to play someone else doesn't make any sense. I mean you are questioning the QB whisperer who took another teams cast off QB and made him NFL viable.  Trust me JH knows what he is doing at QB. The right person is there. OL is playing much better and the O will only be as good as they are.

Plus the O needs time to gel IMO they are on right on schedule. D is on full blast running game is solid and passing game needs work. Exactly where you are supposed to be week 2

• The problem with your logic is Speight is getting worse, not better.

Again, if Cincy was any good Michigan probably loses that game on Saturday.  They put together ONE DECENT DRIVE and had the game within a field goal.  If Speight plays like that against an adequate B1G team they will likely lose, so rather than throw up your hands when Speight eventually does cost them another game, you do something while you still have the chance. It's one thing if a QB throws the odd pick, but he's making really elementary mental mistakes on exchanges.
  • Got a question for you Scottsdale. I was reading an article where Jim was talking about the fumble Speight had on the goal line. Jim said he had been telling Speight that it was only a matter of time until he fumbled if he kept handing the ball off like that, and Saturday was the day and that it's a bad habit he has to break. 

Any idea of what hat he is doing wrong? Article implied it is because he hands the bell off with one hand but it didn't clearify. Any idea? Don't most habdcthe ball off with one hand? 
    I believe JH about is talking specifically about the jet sweep to Crawford and if so, you as a QB are expected to use two hands to secure the ball from center and hand off on the outside. I think the problem with that play was that Crawford got to close to the LOS and spade got loose with his ball security that created the fumble.

When you are dropping back to handoff the ball off to the TB on an isolation or stretch play or an off tackle run play, that's when you use one hand, but I don't think that's what JH was referencing.

Anytime a young QB is doing play-action, they are told to keep two hands on the ball at all times to protect it. Too many times, young QBs think they are Peyton Manning doing play action and it creates bad mechanics and turnovers.

Go Blue!!
  • zjgm02 said:
    The problem with your logic is Speight is getting worse, not better.

Again, if Cincy was any good Michigan probably loses that game on Saturday.  They put together ONE DECENT DRIVE and had the game within a field goal.  If Speight plays like that against an adequate B1G team they will likely lose, so rather than throw up your hands when Speight eventually does cost them another game, you do something while you still have the chance. It's one thing if a QB throws the odd pick, but he's making really elementary mental mistakes on exchanges.

Dude its the second game of the season R-E-L-A-X. Your QB even as a senior is not going to be flawless in week two. He is not getting worse if anything its taking time for new WR's and TE's to gel or did you forget that? The formula right now is more than enough for them to beat even the better B10 teams. Because they have to play against UM's defense and Speight does not. By the time Speight gets to mid Oct and he is playing poorly then lets have a chat but in week two your expecting too much too soon.