UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

WEEK 1: Michigan (#11) vs. Florida (#17) @ Jerry's World GAMEDAY THREAD

It's game week. Let's get it stared.

Michigan opens with Florida in Arlington, TX @ Jerry's World.

Michigan is a 3.5pt favorite.

Both schools will be playing a lot of new players.

What do you think about the game and what do you hope to see (besides a W)?

Go Blue!!

Comments

• I am eager to see the defense and how they open the season.  Especially the linebacker play.

McCray looked to be on dead legs at the end of the year, though I still thought he was solid.

Bush and Hudson have me excited about their potential, just waiting see how they fair.

I believe everything that Zordich said about the corners and have concerns about some one 'stepping up', but do believe that the D-line will be special and help out the youth on the backend.

On offense, I want to see a line that take on a top tier D-line and run the football effectively.  The inability to do so last year directly cost Michigan against Iowa and Ohio St.

Go [Maize]!
  • I want to see a victory after spending a pretty penny for a ticket!  Have to believe UM will give up some big plays but hopefully will out score UF.  Anxious to see the OL play and how the young WRs do.  Finally the kicking game should be an interesting thing to keep an eye on.  Those who are going don't watch the huge scoreboard too much!!!
  • WR James Robinson is 8th Florida player suspended for Michigan game.

Go Blue!!
  • Three more and they would have one side of the ball!
  • Things I want to see:

1. Can we run the ball?

2. How do our new DBs adjust?

3. Can the new players handle the moment?

Go Blue!!
  • Agree and in that exact order.  It's going to be a huge stage for a lot of these guys but win or lose, it can only help.  
  • They only have one player in the three deep on the OL that is under 300 lbs.
  • Weather for Sat in Arlington is partly cloudy and high of 88.
  • Things I want to see:

1. Can we run the ball?

2. How do our new DBs adjust?

3. Can the new players handle the moment?

Go Blue!!

This.  I'm excited to see how Evans has progressed.  Heard he's added some good weight and hasn't lost any of his quickness.  Hopefully we start to see signs that our O-line can start to be the road graders we have grown accustomed to seeing at Michigan that has been absent over the last decade or so.

I'm also excited to see how our young but talented receivers do.  Will they live up to expectations or even exceed them?  

Defensively, I really think our front 7 will be as good or maybe even better than they were a year ago.  Even with all of the talent that was there last year, I think Hurst will be a definite 1st rounder and Gary has the potential to be a top 5 pick when he declares.

Offensively, I have been hearing that they seem a bit behind, but facing our defense everyday in practice might have something to do with that.  I think they will be well prepared to go up against a good Florida defense.

• I fully expect to see a blown coverage for an easy TD from our secondary. 

I hope the new new offensive line can get some push and open running lanes. I hope Evans gets more carries then he did a year ago (I really think if he got 6 more carries against Iowa we win). 

Want to see how our young hot shot WRs do and if Wilton can hit them on the deep ball. 

But it mostly I want to see how they handle the big stage. The guys who will be happy laying this game are probably more talented than the guys they are replacing....they just have no college experience. 

Looks like the teams are pretty evenly paired which means you go with the better coach, which is Harbaugh. 

I think we find a way to win. 
  • Win the battle at the LOS on both sides of the ball.  

Playmakers make plays.  

Speight hit more than 1 of 10 deep balls to an open receiver.

PROTECT THE BALL.
  • Word is that Ulizio will be at RT
  • Need to add a 4th to Scottsdale's list: No FREAKIN' injuries.
  • Here is the 5th one which probably falls or underneath the 3rd one. If we get behind or we have a turnover or things start to go sideways a little bit, do the guys mail it in or do they fight?

Go Blue!!
  • Mental toughness on the road has been a problem for a looooong time.  Need to break through.
  • I know this is not a true road game but Michigan has not been a top 20 opponent on the road since 2001. That's gross....

Go Blue!!
  • I know this is not a true road game but Michigan has not been a top 20 opponent on the road since 2001. That's gross....

Go Blue!!
    Amen 
  • The minute Michigan steps outside the Big House it's a road game.
  • McElwain announces Feleipe Franks as starting QB.

Go Blue!!
  • Definitely want to see the running backs have a break-out season.
  • The good news is we had of a lot of young players playing and there's no tape on them for Florida to gauge how to attack. The bad news is there's no tape on our young players so no one is sure how they will respond and if they are any good.

Go Blue!!
  • edited August 31
    TK23Blue said:
    The minute Michigan steps outside the Big House it's a road game.

We have won Bowl Games over top 20 opponents since 2001 so to treat this game as a road game is a bit of a stretch if you ask me.  This is more of a glorified bowl game to me...

We will have our chances to truly break that streak in Madison and in Happy Valley later this season! But I agree, that stat is sickening!!!

• Well, we're 5-9 in bowl games since 2001 so this one doesn't bode well.
  • https://www.seccountry.com/sec/sec-predictions-week-1-alabama-florida-state-fsu-florida-michigan-and-more

No. 11 Michigan vs. No. 17 Florida

Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET (ESPN)

Fringe College Football Playoff contenders who must find a way to outlast multiple stronger teams in their own conferences, Michigan and Florida meet in Arlington, Texas, to set the tone for their seasons. The winner should get a nice boost in the polls. The loser is most likely doomed in the national title race.

Look no further than 17 months ago — at the end of Jim Harbaugh and Jim McElwain’s first season with their current schools — to figure which team has the psychological pregame edge. Harbaugh’s Wolverines destroyed McElwain’s Gators, 41-7, in a disappointing Citrus Bowl.

Both teams put forth respectable performances last season, and both are forced to play a ton of new starters on Saturday.

For Michigan, that’s due to massive turnover. For Florida, that’s partially due to idiocy. The Gators have suspended 10 players in advance of the game, including star wide receiver Antonio Callaway and starting running back Jordan Scarlett (both reportedly suspected of petty fraud).

Suspended players aside, Florida has other potential problems. Michigan’s offensive line and running backs might be able to take advantage of a Florida front that’s replacing most of its talent. Projected starting Michigan quarterback Wilton Speight probably can’t make big plays downfield, but his young, fast wideouts could hurt Florida in the short passing game.

I’m more excited by what the Gators might be able to accomplish on offense, though. McElwain will probably put Feleipe Franks under center, and I expect the young quarterback to exploit Michigan’s inexperienced defensive backfield. The Gators offensive line was awful two years ago, but improved in 2016 and now could be one of the team’s strengths.

A trio of experienced replacement options should give Franks enough breathing room to keep the Gators afloat in Scarlett’s absence. The pick: Florida.

Go Blue!!
  • https://www.seccountry.com/sec/sec-predictions-week-1-alabama-florida-state-fsu-florida-michigan-and-more

No. 11 Michigan vs. No. 17 Florida

Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET (ESPN)

Fringe College Football Playoff contenders who must find a way to outlast multiple stronger teams in their own conferences, Michigan and Florida meet in Arlington, Texas, to set the tone for their seasons. The winner should get a nice boost in the polls. The loser is most likely doomed in the national title race.

Look no further than 17 months ago — at the end of Jim Harbaugh and Jim McElwain’s first season with their current schools — to figure which team has the psychological pregame edge. Harbaugh’s Wolverines destroyed McElwain’s Gators, 41-7, in a disappointing Citrus Bowl.

Both teams put forth respectable performances last season, and both are forced to play a ton of new starters on Saturday.

For Michigan, that’s due to massive turnover. For Florida, that’s partially due to idiocy. The Gators have suspended 10 players in advance of the game, including star wide receiver Antonio Callaway and starting running back Jordan Scarlett (both reportedly suspected of petty fraud).

Suspended players aside, Florida has other potential problems. Michigan’s offensive line and running backs might be able to take advantage of a Florida front that’s replacing most of its talent. Projected starting Michigan quarterback Wilton Speight probably can’t make big plays downfield, but his young, fast wideouts could hurt Florida in the short passing game.

I’m more excited by what the Gators might be able to accomplish on offense, though. McElwain will probably put Feleipe Franks under center, and I expect the young quarterback to exploit Michigan’s inexperienced defensive backfield. The Gators offensive line was awful two years ago, but improved in 2016 and now could be one of the team’s strengths.

A trio of experienced replacement options should give Franks enough breathing room to keep the Gators afloat in Scarlett’s absence. The pick: Florida.

Go Blue!!
    Where's the eyeroll emoji??
  • Michigan is up to a 5 point favorite with all the suspensions now…

Go Blue!!
  • That's 1:13 of my life I will never get back... 
  • Just picked up a couple cases of 90 Minute Dogfish IPA for the game tomorrow and it's time to get after it!

My cul-de-sac is having a party. My neighbors are Purdue fans, Wisconsin fans, Michigan fans, northwestern fans and a Nebraska fan. We all open up our garages, set up TVs in the garages and make food for people to go house to house watching games.  It should be a pretty sober Saturday…haha

Go Blue!!