UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Biggest surprise of the Harbaugh era (so far)?

edited August 15 in Michigan Football Talk
That one of his recruited QBs hasn't grabbed the starting job yet. 

Comments

  • I think the win over Florida in the bowl game was a pretty big win.  They were supposed to be a top defense that year and we hung 40 points on them.  The worrisome thing is no wins over OSU :-(
  • The blotched punt play against MSU.
  • Philc said:
    That one of his recruited QBs hasn't grabbed the starting job yet. 
    Isn't Peters Harbaugh's first QB he actually recruited?  I mean, I guess he recruited O'Korn to transfer in from Houston, but Peters is the first out of high school.

    I'm just not that surprised to think that a redshirt frosh hasn't beaten out a senior who has a full season of starts under their belts. 

    Hoke put us in this QB mess when he put all his eggs in the Shane Morris basket.  

    My biggest surprise is that Harbaugh hasn't been able to shore up the O'line and develop a 1000+ yard RB.
  • Good: he won 10 games with Hoke's team
    Bad: he lost 3 of 4 last year with a stacked team and manageable schedule.

    Also good: he's leading in setting the standard for recruiting with new and creative ways to differentiate his program from others.
  • Can't say there have been any big surprises, IMO.  He's right on track with my expectations.  Year 4 was always going to be the magic season to me
  • Coulda, shoulda, woulda?  Coulda have beaten MSU his 1st year, shoulda beaten Iowa last year, woulda beaten OSU last year without a shi**y spot.  He's basically 10 points away from being gold.  So if there's a surprise for me, it's losing so many close games. 
  • MGoBrew said:
    Philc said:
    That one of his recruited QBs hasn't grabbed the starting job yet. 
    Isn't Peters Harbaugh's first QB he actually recruited?  I mean, I guess he recruited O'Korn to transfer in from Houston, but Peters is the first out of high school.

    I'm just not that surprised to think that a redshirt frosh hasn't beaten out a senior who has a full season of starts under their belts. 

    Hoke put us in this QB mess when he put all his eggs in the Shane Morris basket.  

    My biggest surprise is that Harbaugh hasn't been able to shore up the O'line and develop a 1000+ yard RB.
    So let's assume that Speight holds on to the job for the entire season.  That would mean that Harbaugh might not have a QB recruit playing until his 4th season at the helm. 

    I would not have guessed that when he came here.

    Not a slam on Speight-- if anything it speaks to how far he's come since Borges/Hoke.
  • edited August 16
    TK23Blue said:
    Coulda, shoulda, woulda?  Coulda have beaten MSU his 1st year, shoulda beaten Iowa last year, woulda beaten OSU last year without a shi**y spot.  He's basically 10 points away from being gold.  So if there's a surprise for me, it's losing so many close games. 
    Out of those the Iowa game is the one that irks me. MSU was a cluster but that stuff will happen every 25 years or so. Ohio State was a rivalry game in Columbus where %$# is Known to happen. Losing to Iowa was a huge disappointment.

    Iowa (6-4) Losses to North Dakota State, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Florida.

    This team has to be able to win games on the road. Michigan has been soft on the road for way too long. You can go back to barely beating Minnesota and Indiana. 
  • Philc said:
    TK23Blue said:
    Coulda, shoulda, woulda?  Coulda have beaten MSU his 1st year, shoulda beaten Iowa last year, woulda beaten OSU last year without a shi**y spot.  He's basically 10 points away from being gold.  So if there's a surprise for me, it's losing so many close games. 
    Out of those the Iowa game is the one that irks me. MSU was a cluster but that stuff will happen every 25 years or so. Ohio State was a rivalry game in Columbus where %$# is Known to happen. Losing to Iowa was a huge disappointment.

    Iowa (6-4) Losses to North Dakota State, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Florida.

    This team has to be able to win games on the road. Michigan has been soft on the road for way too long. You can go back to barely beating Minnesota and Indiana. 

    Agreed.  Although, the way we lost to FSU was pretty bad as well.  All we had to do was cover a damn kickoff or kick the damn ball out of the endzone and we win that game?!?!

    But losing to Iowa the way we did is just inexcusable.  Why does our offense continue to go into a shell in the biggest road games???  Iowa's defense wasn't that great and yet they held us to 13 points???  Inexcusable!!!

  • Agree 100%.  The road games (particularly night games) have been a disaster for quite awhile but the Iowa game was hard to explain.  So maybe the biggest surprise to me is Harbaugh not being a "closer".  So far anyway.
  • ....that Jim has done as much as he has offensively with the garbage hoke left...
  • ....that Jim has done as much as he has offensively with the garbage hoke left...
    Agreed 
  • He hasn't won a B1G or National Championship....yet! 

    GO BLUE!

  • edited August 30
    Edub4Blue said:

    He hasn't won a B1G or National Championship....yet! 

    GO BLUE!


    Really?  It's a surprise to you that he hasn't won a NC in just 2 years?  As Bones from Star Trek might put it, "Dammit Edub, he's a coach, not a miracle worker!!!"

    Harbaugh was a hot button topic on Mike & Mike this morning.  Golic was basically saying Michigan fans should start to lose patience if Harbaugh doesn't beat OSU or win the B1G this season.  Greeny was defending Harbaugh saying no way would Michigan fans start to lose patience with a coach who has had back to back 10 win seasons and considering that our 3 losses last year were by a combined 5 points including one you could put on terrible officiating. 

    Personally, no way am I putting my patience with Harbaugh on beating OSU this year.  Meyer inherited a juggernaut of a program at OSU and has only made them stronger.  Harbaugh had some serious catching up to do with the Michigan team he inherited and has done a tremendous job in closing the gap as much as he had.  But the reality is, we aren't to OSU's level just yet.  To me, Golic just came off as a bitter ND alum who's own program hasn't been relevant for years.  Golic should be concerned about ND and their patience with Kelley as opposed to worrying about how long of a leash Michigan fans will continue to give Harbaugh.

  • when Michigan hired jim.....my ND buddy called me, and when I picked up the phone he said "can we have your coach"? Would love golic to bring up that choice to domers on air....
  • When working in Chicago about 20 years ago, I remember Golic talking about how the fans in this area have "no class".  He was talking about how the fans celebrated after the Wings won the Stanley Cup and he made a special call out about M fans as well.  Why that came up made no sense.
    It was dripping with prejudice and has stayed with me since.  

    Never been a fan, and tune him out whenever I need to.
  • It's not setting up too pretty for Harbaugh to beat Ohio State so yes, I am going to get restless....

    Go Blue!!
  • It's not setting up too pretty for Harbaugh to beat Ohio State so yes, I am going to get restless....

    Go Blue!!

    So, my question would be, who would put us in a better position to beat OSU???  
  • MGoBrew said:
    It's not setting up too pretty for Harbaugh to beat Ohio State so yes, I am going to get restless....

    Go Blue!!

    So, my question would be, who would put us in a better position to beat OSU???  
    I'm assuming Scottsdale is referring only to this year? IMO, there aren't many (if any) coaches out there right now who could put us in a better position. I just think we're a year away yet.
  • That's my point and why I don't get what Golic's point was.  Michigan was not even close to being on a level playing field with OSU when Harbaugh took over.  And while the gap has been closed, we aren't there yet which is why I won't be jumping off a bridge if we can't get over on OSU yet again this year.
  • It's a rivalry game and the gap does not matter as much. How many times did a less talented Tressel team beat Michigan?… Or a less than talented Carr team beat Cooper and Ohio State?

    When JH was coaching at Stanford, they beat USC in an all-time classic when they were one of the largest underdogs in college football history.

    Yes, Jim has made Michigan relevant again.

    Yes Jim has overhauled the roster and made it more talented.

    Jim can't lose games he is supposed to win (2016 Iowa) and he needs to beat a team he's not supposed to beat (hasn't happened yet).

    Go Blue!!
  • Can't disagree.  And while I'm thrilled he's our coach it's time to get busy winning big games.
  • A shitty spot away from winning.  

    I'm not worried about The Game.  I'm sure it is a driving force in Harbaugh each and every day.
  • What about going for 2 instead of playing it safe by kicking the extra point on the road?  That was a coaching decision.
  •  Michigan will beat Ohio State this year, book it 
  • zjgm02 said:
    What about going for 2 instead of playing it safe by kicking the extra point on the road?  That was a coaching decision.
    This still bugs me...*Grumble* *Grumble*
Sign In or Register to comment.