UMGOBLUE.COM

Countdown to 2017 Season

Comments

• I'd hate to think that Michigan has their own Sam Darnold waiting in the wings, but they go with the more-experienced game manager.

Speight is only a Junior as well, so does that mean Peters et al. will be sitting for two seasons?
  • “Wilton is in a good spot. He comes in, really, tied for first with John O’Korn and Brandon Peters. Legitimately went through competition throughout the spring, went through 15 practices and it was a dead heat,” Harbaugh said at Big Ten Media Days. “But the good news is they all did some things — Brandon really shot up, John O’Korn played consistently good and Wilton had some impressive moments as well. It will take about eight to 15 practices to figure out”

Go Blue!!
  • All I'm asking for is an open competition, which seems to be what is happening.  Reading between the lines it seems O'Korn has no shot.  Shane Morris v2.
  • For your viewing pleasure.  What a character.

• Those were some of the worst questions I have heard asked at a preseason press conference been a long time…

Go Blue!!
  • There's 2 ways to take this.  Either it's good strong competition and Harbaugh isn't going to say one way or the other OR we don't have a QB.
  • TK23Blue said:
    There's 2 ways to take this.  Either it's good strong competition and Harbaugh isn't going to say one way or the other OR we don't have a QB.
    The starter lost his last three starts, and didn't look great in those games.  Turning the ball over three times in the biggest game of the year that his team lost by 3 points is bad, bad.  It would be silly if the job was Speight's no matter what, especially with a talented back-up.

I think the primary question is the known unspectacular commodity against an unknown commodity with a huge upside.
  • What's the old adage in football.... if you have two quarterbacks you don't have one.

Go Blue!!
  • That's my question and concern.
  • As crazy as this sounds, QB is the least of my worries for this season. There is a lot of talent at that position. It's unproven but we have good depth and talent at QB.

Go Blue!!
  • Yep. O line, LB, secondary worry me more.  Until that big night game on the road when your QB needs to drive you 80 yards in the 4th.  THEN I'll be worried about QB.
  • zjgm02 said:
    TK23Blue said:
    There's 2 ways to take this.  Either it's good strong competition and Harbaugh isn't going to say one way or the other OR we don't have a QB.
    The starter lost his last three starts, and didn't look great in those games.  Turning the ball over three times in the biggest game of the year that his team lost by 3 points is bad, bad.  It would be silly if the job was Speight's no matter what, especially with a talented back-up.

I think the primary question is the known unspectacular commodity against an unknown commodity with a huge upside.
    Yeah I'm sure him playing with a busted shoulder had nothing to do with it. 
  • Here are the players talking about the season, the Coach, Italy, etc.

Even the bought-and-paid-for media of the BTN can't let the national anthem issue lie.  Not really the forum for asking Mike McCray this question and sadly he didn't seem prepared for it.  Start and End Time coding apparently doesn't work on here, so that question starts at 9:19 if that's all you want to see. 

• Speight is steady, not flashy. With Harbaugh being a QB guru it shouldn't be long before Michigan has a dynamic QB running the team. Harbaugh will always play the "smash mouth" style of football with the TE's and FB's grinding out yards, but once he gets that QB that can sling it down the field, then the offense will finally be where it needs to be. With the talent they've recruited at WR, we're going to need a QB that can open it up and make defenses pay for playing the run.

I've re-watched most of last year's games and Peters should start. Speight rarely put the ball into the WRs hands where they could continue running. The receivers bailed him out time and again by making terrific catches.

Doesn't really matter what the route is either. He seems to never be able to hit the receiver in stride. He hit one in the Wisconsin game, but he missed on quite a few before that one. If he wouldve hit any deep routes against OSU or Iowa, we win those games. If Peters can make those throws better then he starts.

However, there were several quotes from the B10 media days from Harbaugh about Peters needing to be more vocal. My guess would be that the necessary talent is there but playing on the road in the B10 requires a QB that can be heard in the huddle and lead. This and some other intangibles might be a bigger factor in who starts than just arm strength and being able to make the necessary throws.

Go Blue!!
  • I'm worried about the secondary as well, but I'm excited to see what the front 7 can do after another camp with Dr Blitz.  Really excited to see how Hudson handles starting at Viper.

I don't care if he doesn't have the best camp, but if Glasgow is anything like his brothers he needs to play.  Can never have too many smart guys playing safety.
  • Not debating at all that Peters has more talent. But. He has never played in a college game, let alone started one. Speight has played in East Lansing, Columbus, the Orange Bowl. He is going to start game 1 in Dallas against a big time opponent. 

Now, week 2? Well, there's where you can have fun with the what ifs. 
  • Not debating at all that Peters has more talent. But. He has never played in a college game, let alone started one. Speight has played in East Lansing, Columbus, the Orange Bowl. He is going to start game 1 in Dallas against a big time opponent. 

Now, week 2? Well, there's where you can have fun with the what ifs. 
    No doubt.  Unless Speight is hurt there's no way he doesn't start the opener.
  • It's gotta be the secondary/pass defense, right? We lose all 4 starters in the secondary, or 5 if you count co-starters Stribling and Clark, or 6 if you count Peppers. AND, we also lose Taco and Wormley rushing the passer. So, the passing defense will likely take a step back simply because of the inexperience.

Gary or (hopefully) Solomon can step right in and contribute on the defensive line from day 1, but even a freakish athlete like Peppers, while solid, wasn’t a dominant safety in the first few games of his true freshman year (before injuries sidelined him). There’s so much nuance and technical demand in the defensive backfield that I’m hopeful but worried this could indeed be our Achilles heel this season. The talent’s there, but the learning curve is steep.

However, I feel confident knowing the younger players that will fill in this year were all hand picked by Harbaugh and have been coached up by him and his staff from day one. Lavert Hill got some good experience last season and I think he and Long will start at CB. Kinnel and Hudson will most likely take over the safety spots and true Frosh Ambry Thomas will fill in at nickel. Those guys all possess vital experience in Doc Brown’s complex scheme which will assist in this transition. The early enrollees of St-Juste, Kelly-Powell, and Woods, have already begun their PhD of defense from Dr. Blitz which shortens the learning curve this fall.

The talent is evident, but the chemistry between the players will be essential for any continued defensive success. This D requires a technical demand seldom seen from programs outside of Tuscaloosa. Even last season’s veterans struggled in early games with proper alignments and coverages. This is a Goliath task, but the aid of the DL's pass rush will prove pivotal in limiting any glaring exposure from this youthful secondary. While it will take these younger guys some time to get their feet wet and become a strong unit, they look to be stronger athletes than what we lost and should be a force by season’s end.

Go Blue!!
  • Agree with ah Scottsdale. We are gonna need that D Libe to cover up the secondary early on and it won't surprise me at all if Florida gets an easy long bomb of a TD in the games simply because of blowm coverage. 
  • Dang. I'd gladly take another 10-2 season. It all depends on how quickly the young guys catch on. We will absolutely be a better team in November then we will be in September. 
  • Injuries. Can't have 'em, as difficult as that will be. And all the media butter being slopped over PSU is too much. We need to kick their a$$ again.
  • Yeah I don't get the Penn State love. We utterly destroyed them which every seems to think was a fluke on our part. But honestly that Penn Stats team was one of the luckier teams last year. Reminded me a lot of Hoke's first year. 

Seemed like their offense was for the QB to run around and then chuck the ball down field and hope his WRs could out jump people. 

I mran they have to play Pitt early, go to Iowa, which we learned is never easy, is, at Ohio State, and then Nebraska comes a calling. 
  • So do you take a 9-4 season with a win over OSU or a 10-2 season with a loss to the Buckeyes?  Me personally I want wins over Florida, State, PSU, Minnesota and OSU. Don't care much about the rest as long as we win those games.  If we win those games though it will be a 1 loss season headed to the B1G Championship and Bowl Game, there is zero chance they run the table. 

GO BLUE! 

• The wins are less important to me than beating Ohio State unless 10-2 somehow sneaks us into the B10 championship game or playoffs.
  • 1. Beat OSU
    2. Beat Sharty
    3. Beat either Florida or PSU.

Don't care about record, don't care about any of the other games. (well, until game day that is ;)
  • The PSU that won the B1G was a lot different than the team Michigan pounded, but I can't believe that UM's secondary would've been torched like Wisconsin's by PSU's passing game, even after PennSt started believing in themselves.

I have to go to a wedding in Tucson on opening day.  I'm just going for the ceremony, so I probably won't start watching the game until 7ish.  What a kick in the ballbag a wedding on opening day is.