UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Countdown to 2017 Season

Comments

• Michigan's 27-19 victory over Northwestern from 2013 was on BTN last night as a "Michigan Classic".  Aside from being indicative of how far UM had fallen for that to be considered a classic, I forgot that Derrick Green played pretty well running downhill, as did a young De'Veon Smith, but man were they slow.  I'd say the Michigan D played well, but this game pushed NW to 0-6 in the B1G, so I don't think they were very good.

Also, Devin Gardner should've been picked at least a half dozen times in that game if NW defenders had any hands at all.

Oh, the dark times...
  • edited July 11
    Looks like Mike McCray, Mo Hurst and Mason Cole are the team mouthpieces for B1G media days.

Phil, how the hell do we embed a tweet?
  • And apparently Ty Wheatley Jr is on the Mackey Watch List, so I guess they expect him to be the #1 TE on the depth chart.  

• The hype train for some of these young guys who have not played at all is driving very fast before the season starts…

Ive said this before and I will say it again… Just because we only have five starters coming back from last year's team, that's not an indictment on how this season will be turn out because there is a lot of talent on this roster that has just been waiting for the opportunity to play once it gets developed.

Go Blue!!
  • I will get to see first hand in the Florida game. Hopefully they will be ready.  Could be a close defensive game - Florida has one of the best defensive lines.
  • I would expect the game against Florida to be pretty sloppy since both teams will be breaking in a lot of new players.

Go Blue!!
  • If we can get out of Arlington (TX) with a WIN over Florida, we should be 6-0 heading to the "white out" in Happy Valley. 

Go Blue!!
  • How long of a leash does Speight have before JH would pull him for Peters? I'm really interested to see how Speight does in Arlington.
  • Do we even know that Speight is the starter yet?  Apparently, all positions are up for grabs.
  • I don't think there's any chance Speight does not start again Florida in Arlington, barring injury.

And if we win that game, I would expect Speight to start for the rest of the season.

Go Blue!!
  • zjgm02 said:
    Do we even know that Speight is the starter yet?  Apparently, all positions are up for grabs.
    Good point. I'm assuming it's Speight in game 1. And yes, I know what happens when you assume something. :) 
  • Maybe we have a Matt Gutierrez situation again....I don't know why but that thought has been in my mind.

Go Blue!!
  • Maybe we have a Matt Gutierrez situation again....I don't know why but that thought has been in my mind.

Go Blue!!
    Speight is nothing more than a game manager as far as I'm concerned.  He lost his last 3 starts last season, while turning the ball over 5 times in those games.  That is something a game manager can't do. 

In your opinion, having thrown the ball thousands of times in your life and playing the position, what do you think of Speight's mechanics?  It looks to me like he short-arms everything, and his deep ball is not good.  

What do you think of his decision making?

Peters may be green, but he looks more the part of starting QB in a top program than Speight does.
  • Part of the problem IMO is that Speight was injured in the Iowa game.  However saying that I can't wait for Peters and McCaffrey to get some experience.
  • There is zero chance Peters starts that Florida game or plays meaningful minutes (barring injury) but the Cincy game? Well there's a chance there depending on how Speight performed in Texas. 
  • I'll probably get repetitive with a couple things but that's because the arms and legs and body are all tied together with your mechanics when throwing the ball. The major problem with Speights' mechanics is his lack of follow through. He uses all arm, so the power that he starts generating when he pushes off his back foot is stopped when his front foot plants down. The hips never finish their rotation forward. He is a solid QB who is going to get in trouble because he doesn’t have the biggest or most accurate arm.

He has a hitch in his throwing motion and he tends to throw off his back foot rather than transfer weight through the throw. The hitch in his throw makes for a longer delivery and he throws the ball next to his ear hole rather than with good arm extension. This makes it more difficult to get velocity and throw a ball on a rope, making it more difficult to throw the short quick passes in tight windows.

He tends to get sloppy with his footwork on quick passes (as I've already mentioned), especially fades or 3-step drops. Too often, he resorts to leaving his weight to his back foot rather than shifting his balance forward through his throwing motion and ultimately to his front foot. Some of this is due to our somewhat crappy O-line last season, but he seems to have gotten into a habit of it and does it sometimes even when he's not pressured.

Finally, he can struggle to reset his feet if being forced to move in the pocket as his footwork gets sloppy and his arm angle can become wonky. His drop is awkward and he needs to work on gaining better depth off his first step and closing down when getting ready to throw as his transition from drop to throw puts his plant foot and his step foot in a bad position, which is part of the reason he struggles on 3-step drops or when being forced to step into a throw directly following his drop.

Speight could have pretty high upside this season if he can fix some of his mechanical and footwork problems. He understands ball trajectory and has the capability of utilizing both his body and arm to put the ball in any area of the field. If he can improve his drop to throw transition (stand up taller in the pocket as he has too many balls batted down at the LOS for his height) and improve his ball velocity, he could fit in Pep's passing offense this season. My worry is that he won't develop and he 'topped out" last season.

However, at this point, about 7 weeks before kickoff against Florida and before summer camp starts, I would still bet on Speight being the starter. Peters is a better NFL prospect and his upside is tremendous but there are over 10 games of film on Speight so he’s the known commodity. If there were a couple preseason games, I might think differently but I can’t imagine the coaching staff would go into a big game against a top defense with a first-time starter at QB.

Go Blue!!
  • I think what Scottsdale is trying to say is that Speight throws like my sister. And I agree with BHF, SB, et al. that there's no way Speight doesn't start the first several games. For me, he's shaky but Harbaugh knows what he's doing.
  • TK23Blue said:
    I think what Scottsdale is trying to say is that Speight throws like my sister. And I agree with BHF, SB, et al. that there's no way Speight doesn't start the first several games. For me, he's shaky but Harbaugh knows what he's doing.
    Don't put your sister down like that… LOL 

Go Blue!!
  • edited July 14
    As I said before couldn't his injury account for his throwing?  His first 9 games he's was: 149-231 2053 yds 15 TD 3 int and 64%.  Two of those games were blowouts and only played in part of those games.  The last three he was: 45-100 485 yds 3 TD 4 int and 45%.  Now granted the competition was different, but I still think it is hard to judge with the injury that he had.  Just my opinion.
  • I'm taking the talker at his word that all positions are up for grabs.

QB is like a hockey goalie from a controversy standpoint.  Do you go with the "better" guy or the more-experienced guy?  And if you do start the younger, better guy, what can/will that do to the other guy's head?  Will it crush him, or push him?  If it's the latter then it's a win-win starting Peters knowing you can always fall back on a motivated guy who started 12 games last year.

Or maybe I was a Flyers fan for too many years and I shoehorn in a goaltending analogy even when it doesn't apply.
  • As I said before couldn't his injury account for his throwing?  His first 9 games he's was: 149-231 2053 yds 15 TD 3 int and 64%.  Two of those games were blowouts and only played in part of those games.  The last three he was: 45-100 485 yds 3 TD 4 int and 45%.  Now granted the completion was different, but I still think it is hard to judge with the injury that he had.  Just my opinion.
    No doubt his injury played into the terrible stats at the end of the season but part of the discussion is his mechanics, which look really strange to me.  Even when he was completing 65% he worried me.  But we shall see.  I'm sure he's the starter.
  • We had guys running open on crossing routes and on posts and on flag routes, etc and all throughout the secondary in most games and he missed them over 60% of them during the season. He needs to get better at completing balls down the field fatther than 5 yards past the LOS.

Go Blue!!
  • We had guys running open on crossing routes and on posts and on flag routes, etc and all throughout the secondary in most games and he missed them over 60% of them during the season. He needs to get better at completing balls down the field fatther than 5 yards past the LOS.

Go Blue!!

Zackly.  Three of the guys Speight was throwing to regularly last year are on NFL rosters right now, and the team played a pretty soft schedule early, so every player should've had solid stats.
  • edited July 14
    zjgm02 said:
    I'm taking the talker at his word that all positions are up for grabs.

QB is like a hockey goalie from a controversy standpoint.  Do you go with the "better" guy or the more-experienced guy?  And if you do start the younger, better guy, what can/will that do to the other guy's head?  Will it crush him, or push him?  If it's the latter then it's a win-win starting Peters knowing you can always fall back on a motivated guy who started 12 games last year.

Or maybe I was a Flyers fan for too many years and I shoehorn in a goaltending analogy even when it doesn't apply.
    I thought you gave up the Flyers....but I do like the hockey reference.

The only thing I can think of that would justify Harbaugh starting Peters against Florida would be a conservative gameplan and relying heavily on the defense to keep us in the game. Both teams will be starting a lot of new players so it's a complete toss up game.

Peters, athletically, is miles head of Speight. Mechanically, he's got a pretty sweet throwing motion. Elbow is nice although he does slash a little in his follow through. I love how much energy he creates by squatting on the back leg and his front leg lands softly before popping up allowing the transfer of weight from back to front to move along. He has a bit of a lean to his left but it’s not horrendous. Overall, pretty good.

Here’s the problem with backup QBs: you can’t ease them onto the field with a rotation. Backup DL play all the time because you give them a series here and there and generally a 1-tech, for example, isn’t the focal point of your defense. You can’t quite do that with QBs. This is why Trubisky didn’t start until last year. You’d imagine that UNC knew he was pretty good but to supplant an experience starter like Marquise Williams would have been a leap of faith by that coaching staff that clearly they didn’t want to take. Speight is solid and is such a known factor that it would probably take a lot for the coaching staff to go to Peters, at least for game 1 against the Gators.

Go Blue!!
  • There are a few key sign posts for me every off-season that give me an idea that the season is getting closer.

Spring camp and the game/scrimmage are the first

New season of Game of Thrones premiering (tonight) is the next.

Fall camp begins.

New season of Hard Knocks premiers on HBO.

The season begins.

Two (almost) down, two to go.