UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Election 2016: Good News, Bad News

Comments

• I voted. Wasn’t real happy with some of my choices here in Ohio.

Issue 1 looks to be getting handily defeated which is a good thing IMHO.

Bottom line; No blue wave. And that’s good news for all Americans. Even the ones who aren’t smart enough to know it’s good news.   
  • It went like it always does. Whichever party wins the election the other takes back either the House or Senate. In most years I'd consider checks and balances a good thing but now it's all party driven and divisive so it'll probably just create more of it. In the end we all lose. (Like we've all been losing for the past 50 years.) Blue wave, Red wave, like any of it really matters.
  • Lol Weird agreeing with you on something in this thread. We absolutely are screwed no matter what. Unless we can somehow get term limits, which will never happen.

Our government has grown completely out of control, 2 sides of the same coin. Both voting to keep robbing us all blind & using every outlet at their disposal to keep us divided so we keep turning on each other & not them. 

But thats on the macro level. On the micro level of this particular election it was important for the (R) to retain the Senate so Trump has the necessary leverage to finish off this trade deal with China. Which is actually starting to look like it will include China buying US oil instead of Iranian oil.

It doesn’t solve all our problems, but avoiding a trade war with China is good for all of us especially when you consider trade wars usually turn into shooting wars.  

Have to wait & see how it all plays out. But last night was a good start.
  • TK23Blue said:
    It went like it always does. Whichever party wins the election the other takes back either the House or Senate. In most years I'd consider checks and balances a good thing but now it's all party driven and divisive so it'll probably just create more of it. In the end we all lose. (Like we've all been losing for the past 50 years.) Blue wave, Red wave, like any of it really matters.
    I suspect the Dems haven't learned a goddamn thing in the last two years, but we'll see. If they select Pelosi Speaker then that should tell you all you need to know.

The way they handled Bob Menedez in NJ is a pretty good indicator of the status quo.

Schumer, who should also take a long walk off a short peer, publicly said Joe Manchin should suffer no ill will if he votes to confirm Kavanaugh, and then Dem attack dogs were set lose on the doddering Susan Collins, who isn't even in their party. Very poor political sleight of hand that no one with half a brain should buy.
  • Today Trump was speaking highly of Pelosi👀😳
  • The Onion has been killing it today.

• edited November 2018
    It doesn't matter what party or ideology of which you are part, the powerful look out for the powerful and the laws they make only apply to us. 

It's a long read, but interesting to see how everything is intermingled regardless of party.
  • And the end is near. Tick...tick....tick
  • Gotta say I'm onboard with the plan to bring soldiers home from the Middle East. That is one of Trump's campaign promises I supported, so I'm glad he seems poised to deliver on it. If it makes the military industrial complex angry, it's good for Americans. It's disappointing but not surprising that so many who purport to be on the left are complaining. Just shows they are partisan and not progressive.
  • edited December 2018
    As former military, I can attest that all career military people need a war to exist. There is little chance of a promotion without combat expierence, with that comes awards and medals otherwise unattainable. So all these Pentagon people who are so afraid of the US pulling troops out of the Middle East have a huge political and personnal agenda. The military industrial complex will also not survive without a war. In Nam we all realized that we had no busines being there. We need to stop trying to be the worlds policemen. Bring all foreign deployed troops home and let all these countries that hate us and are deployed in settle thier own problems. I really thought that we had learned our lesson after the Nam debacle, now I'm beginning to realize that geo politics and the K street lobbyists will keep us involved overseas forever. As for Afghanistan after 17 years, nothing has changed. Why are we still there? As for Syria, the 2000 troops do nothing but try to protect one another, they have no defined mission or end game, again why are they still there? That's my view and I'm sticking to it!

• We only go to war to protect our own interests and for our own gain-not to be the world's "policemen."  Let's be real.  As far as Syria is concerned, why all of a sudden?  I thought we were there to "defeat ISIS" as Trumpov says.  As Fox & Friends said, you're just putting them right back in business and please, let's not delude ourselves thinking Trumpov did this for the soldiers and the families.  When the only adult with half a brain left in that quagmire of an administration quits on the spot, (Mattis) you know something's wrong.  But it will all be over soon so no sense in getting too worried about it.
  • edited December 2018
    From expierence, 2000 troops are useless, over half of them have to be non combative, for support. That is not enough strength left for any missions. So they just guard each others safety and really do nothing but take up space. So again what is thier mission and end game? Really don't think there is one, just being there so the US can say look world we care. Stop it, don't see the rest of the world giving a s**t, so why should we? Oh yea, forgot the career military and the civilian war machine requires it.
  • edited December 2018
    TK23Blue said:
    let's not delude ourselves thinking Trumpov did this for the soldiers and the families.  When the only adult with half a brain left in that quagmire of an administration quits on the spot, (Mattis) you know something's wrong.  But it will all be over soon so no sense in getting too worried about it.
    I don't care why he's doing it; only that he's doing it. We need to stop being party to civilian deaths abroad and the deaths of American service people simply to enrich defense contractors. Saying nothing of the amount of money spent in these endeavors.

TK23Blue said:
    When the only adult with half a brain left in that quagmire of an administration quits on the spot, (Mattis) you know something's wrong. 
    You know you're my homie, but this is the dude you're holding up as an adult with half a brain. Sounds like an evil war monger to me that no form of death would be too terrible for.
    Major General James Mattis, commander of the 1st Marine Division, said:
    How many people go to the middle of the desert ... to hold a wedding 80 miles (130km) from the nearest civilisation? These were more than two dozen military-age males. Let's not be naive.

I have not seen the pictures but bad things happen in wars. I don't have to apologise for the conduct of my men.

You know how you can tell this is a good idea that SCARES THE SHIT OUT OF THE ESTABLISHMENT? Leadership in both parties are losing their minds about it. The same party leadership on both sides who sells us down the river every day for pennies on the dollar.
  • zjgm02 said:

You know you're my homie, but this is the dude you're holding up as an adult with half a brain. Sounds like an evil war monger to me that no form of death would be too terrible for.
    Major General James Mattis, commander of the 1st Marine Division, said:
    How many people go to the middle of the desert ... to hold a wedding 80 miles (130km) from the nearest civilisation? These were more than two dozen military-age males. Let's not be naive.

I have not seen the pictures but bad things happen in wars. I don't have to apologise for the conduct of my men.
    Oh believe me, I'm not holding this guy up to anything.  It simply speaks to the rest of the swamp Trump surrounds himself with.
  • General Mattis is a patriot and hero.  You two are pussies and cowards who have probably never served a day in the military much less in a combat environment.  He served this country (you guys can feel free to leave anytime) with distinction, an exemplary service record and I am honored to call him my Brother.  I have served in the United States Army for 21 years, seen a whole lot of bad shit all over the world but I would have no problem heading back to the suck with General Mattis as my commander any day!

Whatever his reasons are for leaving his post as Secretary of Defense is completely his own and he has earned the right to walk away and retire peacefully.  The DOD as a whole will miss him and his successor has gigantic shoes to fill.  You guys should stick to football because you have no right to denigrate this great man!  
  • edited December 2018
    Not questioning General Mattis's patriotism he is a true hero, questioning the why we are still in the Middle East? Again, what is the mission and the end game? Our brave soldiers just seem to be taking up space with no plan or end in sight. Took me a long time to come to the conclusion and a few buddies lost that we had no business being in the Nam. Why do we have to  protect every other countries borders when we can't even protect our own?
  • mgobob said:
    Not questioning General Mattis's patriotism he is a true hero, questioning the why we are still in the Middle East? Again, what is the mission and the end game? Our brave soldiers just seem to be taking up space with no plan or end in sight. Took me a long time to come to the conclusion and a few buddies lost that we had no business being in the Nam. Why do we have to  protect every other countries borders when we can't even protect our own?
    Bro, you know it is a foothold in the region we need to have.  We will always have a presence there because of oil, the Kurds, Iran and Israel I could go on and on about why we should be in that region.  BLUF, we need to be there.  Giving up Syria sucks but it is ok because ISIS, largely, becomes Russia's problem.  
  • edited December 2018
    2,000 Troops in Syria isn’t about ISIS. It’s about having a counter force to Russia in country. 

No matter your personal or political beliefs, as far as I know, no one here is has the experience & know how of General Mattis. And neither does President Trump, therefore I’m inclined to side with Mattis on this one & say if he believes the troops should stay in Syria then the troops should stay. 

The military industrial complex is a huge problem for the nation. But nowhere near the problem that the greedy, corrupt, evil, thieving, lying piece of shit politicians are. Clean up the government, including the deep state, then we can worry about the other issues. But until you kill the cancer of career politicians you’ll never cure what truly plagues this nation. 
  • Edub4Blue said:
    Bro, you know it is a foothold in the region we need to have.  We will always have a presence there because of oil, the Kurds, Iran and Israel I could go on and on about why we should be in that region.  BLUF, we need to be there. 
    Recent history and a general awareness of world events suggest the complete opposite, to say nothing of US presence in Syria being unconstitutional. We no longer worry about such formalities, though, as we continue down the wrong road further and further. This country is at war in SEVEN countries as our own infrastructure continues to crumble, and the global landscape continues to go to shit. Probably not a good idea to double down in that scenario.

Put simply, Hillary Clinton and Lindsey Graham have never been right even by accident about foreign policy, so if the prez throws out an idea both of those two disagrees with he's on to something.
  • Lets not forget, unknown to most Americans, the US is involved in more confrontations in Africa then all the Middle East. Again, Why are we there and what is the end game? Have researched this and cannot find any reasoning anywhere! Where is the congressional approval for any of these interventions?
  • Yes you know what we are. We are the country that is both but contradictions. We say we have freedoms and are peaceful, yet we have fought in more wars than any other country. We talk about how violent other parts of the world is... yet we have note murder per capita than most countries... 
  • And the shutdown continues with no end in sight....why can't congres get anything done?

Go Blue!!
  • edited January 20
    And the shutdown continues with no end in sight....why can't congres get anything done?

Go Blue!!
    because witches like pelosi think that letting illegals into our country is a good thing. Definitly helps them get those census numbers to get states like Cali more electoral votes and make sure you keep that Growning Minority vote. who you gonna vote for the person who let your cousin stay in the country or the big bad man trying to actually follow the rules of law?

kinda like her new speal lets hire 2,000 more border agents instead of a wall. that would be better protection for the country.
    Meanwhile Border Patrol agents are underpaid and overworked and have had problems recruiting for the last decade. as the job became more and more dangerous from what was coming across the border. They can't even get fully staffed for what they are now and best and brightest LOL basically any other law enforcement job is a better job than a BP agent all they get these days are former military who have no where else to go.. 

Build the wall then you can take the X Number of agents you have now patrolling parts of the border without even a damn fence and you can put them at border checkpoints/ports to cut down the 90% of illegal drugs in america that comes from that Damn country. and don't even get me started on Mexico's unwillingness to stop the drug operations themselves. Their goverment is more in the pockets of drug dealers than Trump and the russians.
  • I once worked for a company that ran out of money, and guess what happened, everyone was out of a job. That's how it works in the real world.  Now lets privatize the TSA and all so called non essential jobs, problem solved!

• I am more convinced now than ever that our government as currently constituted is not fixable. And the only people who can fix the myriad of problems festering in DC are the same people causing those problems.
  • Ya can blame Trump all you want, but this has been going on long before him. The real blame is the non functional congress, both sides of the aisle are incompetent neither wants to compromise or give the other side a win. I see no end to this shutdown neither side will give in.
  • Republicans controlled both houses of Congress and the presidency for nearly two full years and a vote was never taken on the Wall, and the government was never shut down because of it. It's almost like those who buy into the blue-red paradigm are being manipulated (again).
  • Under Obama, the dems. had both houses and did nothing about immigration, both sides need fixin!

• How did it go last night?

Go Blue!!