UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Eric Swenson Backlash Coming.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2609497-4-star-ol-erik-swenson-tweets-decommitment-from-michigan

Apparently his Offer was pulled out of the blue without warning. I'm a fan of big boy recruiting but hopefully somehow we get michigan's side of this story because you don't just pull the offer of a kid who has been commited for over 2 years 2 weeks before signing day. There will be backlash from this with Recruits/Media.

Comments

• There already is- ND's sports information director tweeted about it earlier today.

And I do agree- I hope there's a legit reason. Feels that there are a good number of commits dropping right now- I sure hope there are good reasons, and great backup plans.

• edited January 2016
    johnny3435 said: And I do agree- I hope there's a legit reason. Feels that there are a good number of commits dropping right now- I sure hope there are good reasons, and great backup plans.

The thing is with the other recruits who decommited If your on a site like scouts or 247 or rivals. Those recruits were all but told Multiple Months ago to "look around". and that there was a chance they would not be part of the class And with them most were borderline takes at best for a top 10 Program.

Eric on the other hand was literally out of the blue and doesn't fit that mold in that unlike the other recruits who decommited who have been visiting other schools he has not visited another school in over 10 months. The only thing with Eric that I see is that For a 4 star he has a offer sheet of a lot worse with Michigan OSU and Northwestern as his only Notable offers but that still doesn't make sense why he was not given the same "warning" as the others.

• That's the opposite of what I've heard.  I've heard he was told he needed to improve his senior season or he wouldn't be a part of the class and there had been rumors since Christmas this was coming.  The only thing that stinks for him is that it's close to NSD.  But he still has a couple of months.  NSD is the first day to sign with a school, not the last.

He'll end up at Northwestern, which isn't a bad trade off academically.

People wanted a winning program ran by a winner.  Put your big boy pants on and deal with it.

TIFWITW.

• Kids commit and decommit all the time, so I have no problem with the school/coaches doing the same thing.

Obviously, the coaches made this decision because they have bigger fish to fry and feel extremely confident in those recruits they're taking now to replace Swenson and others.

Gotta make room for Pie Young, McDoom, Chase Allen, Murphy, Gary, Michael Dwumfour, Jones, Hill, Long and Nordin, etc....

Go Blue!!
  • Kids commit and decommit all the time, so I have no problem with the school/coaches doing the same thing.

Here's my problem. This guy committed a long time ago-- Michigan had plenty of time to wave him off. He seems like a solid prospect with decent acadamics and hasn't gotten into trouble.

I'd have been fine if Harbaugh had run off Glasgow for being a two-time idiot.  I'd have been fine if they'd rescinded the offer at the beginning of the season. But to pull it now seems like a bush league move. 

There are plenty of shady things the SEC does in recruiting that I want no part of-- and I don't think we need to stoop to. Conveniently Michigan can't comment on this but I it smells.

I think they should have honored the commitment. 

• Thats the same way I feel about it Phil. If it was any other recruit I would be fine with it. But this Kid commited In November 2013 as a Sophmore, Has always stated that Michigan was his dream school and he stuck by that through all the Hoke disaster not even visiting other schools in the last 9 months. If Harbuagh had told him to look around when Harbaugh first got here I would have been fine. But 2 weeks ahead of signing day this sucks for the kid and Harbaugh is going to get some mud on him out of this.  As Saban has showed though winning washes all dirt away so lets hope whoever Harbaugh fills his slot with turns into gold.

• If what WolvyMike says is true and the coaches told Swenson about his situation before Christmas, what's the problem?

Your heart's for your family, your brains and balls are for business and this is business.

Go Blue!!
  • Time to put the big boy pants on and realize Michigan is not different than any other school out there.  You want to win, you have to treat it like a business.  Sorry some feelings are going to get hurt along the way.

• The kid is telling a different story...He says that about a month ago he was told by Drevno to "get ready to play for us" and that last week he was told to start looking around. From the Chicago Tribune. I don't like it one bit.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-0121-prep-fb-recruiting-notebook-20160120-story.html

• Count me in the camp that doesn't like it. Most of us on this site talk crap about other programs that pull shady crap. How many posters here went in on OSU for signing Mike Weber with a coach they knew was leaving?

This may indeed be the reality of recruiting these days, but we don't have to like it. Whatever negativity comes from it is deserved.
  • I feel for the kid.  However, like SDB pointed out, kids will flip like this and we'll say that this is a part of the "game".  When schools do it, it's a shame.  It's sad to say that this is a business, but it's the truth.  I'm sure he'll run into several players with similar stories.  When sports and business mix, shadiness comes along.

• Knowing I was commited I would of tried to enroll early.
  • Sounds like too much of the SEC to me I hate it.  Hopefully this does not happen again but would not be surprised if it did.  

• It's been happening all year. Why do you think other players have decommitted? Coaches took their commitment early because they needed players, but now that the season was a giant success and we're in on better recruits, those lower tier commits get asked to look elsewhere. Swenson isn't the first player in this class and he won't be the last to decommit. I would expect Enis, Johnson and Weaver to move on and not be in this class either.

Go Blue!!
  • We all seemed to want a "know more Mr. Nice Guy" attitude with this program but now that it seems we have that, we're not happy with this situation.  I get it and 5 years ago I would have been upset if Michigan did something like this.  Now I've come to the realization that this is just the way the game is played in modern big business..er...college football.  And it's not exactly a life-altering event for Swenson.  He'll get a free ride to another top program where he'll get a chance to play right away and get a great education. Sorry, not exactly a Greek tragedy.

• edited January 2016

Sorry, but I have no problem with this whatsoever.  I want Michigan to be a WINNER.  And to be a winner in this day and age of college football, you have to be somewhat  cutthroat.  I love seeing how many bring up the SEC and they don't want Michigan to be just like those shady schools from the SEC.  Well, how many NC's has the SEC won in the last 10 years?  Sorry, but being the nice guy won't bring Michigan championships!

Also, where is the outrage when PLAYERS decommit like the two that flipped from Maryland to OSU two days ago???  Now the Terps are left scrambling to have to replace the #3 rated QB in the country with two weeks left until NSD?!  To me, it is FAR easier for a recruit like Swenson to find a school than for a school to be able to go out and find a replacement for a highly rated recruit who flips right before NSD!!!  So Swenson doesn't get to go to his 'dream school'.  He'll still land somewhere pretty good like Northwestern and he'll be fine!

What is the most amusing is how many in here complained of wanting to get rid of the 'Country Club' atmosphere where we were a bunch of softies and our players were all given a sense of entitlement based not on their abilitites.  So now that we are showing signs of being a hard ass, everyone is all up in arms about how bad this looks.  Sorry, but if given the choice of going after a stud meaning we have to cut some fat from those who committed early, I say cut away!!! 

• Hopefully all you people who hate it and think Jimmy did him wrong are reading the new information coming down the pipe today...............

• ScottsdaleBlue said: I would expect Enis, Johnson and Weaver to move on and not be in this class either.

Enis just decommitted.
  • Like what Wolvy? I can't find anything.

I'm certainly willing to change my opinion when new information is presented. And I don't claim to know what's happening behind the scenes. 

• In short only one side of the Swenson story came out. He isn't allowed to give his side. So he used a movie  (The Shooter) line to emphasize that all the backlash he is getting is one sided. Specifically what the kid and his family are saying in putting him and the program in a bad light isn't true. By rule you cannot comment on uncommitted players, that's an NCAA violation. This is his only way to get his point across.

• edited January 2016
    umgoblue14 said: In short only one side of the Swenson story came out. He isn't allowed to give his side. So he used a movie  (The Shooter) line to emphasize that all the backlash he is getting is one sided. Specifically what the kid and his family are saying in putting him and the program in a bad light isn't true. By rule you cannot comment on uncommitted players, that's an NCAA violation. This is his only way to get his point across.

And it was brilliant!