UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

MSU mopping the recruiting floor with UM, OSU, ND?

[link=http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2015/05/24/michigan-state-football-recruiting/27884823/]http://www.freep.com/stor...l-recruiting/27884823/[/link]

[quote]
Notre Dame has just one player committed with an MSU offer, and Michigan has none.[/quote]

Are Michigan and Harbaugh competing for the same players?

[quote]
"Ohio State is turning away great players," said Steve Wiltfong, national analyst for 247Sports.com. "[/quote]

And my favorite quote of the article...

Go Blue!!

Comments

• [link=http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2015/05/24/michigan-state-football-recruiting/27884823/]http://www.freep.com/stor...l-recruiting/27884823/[/link]
    Notre Dame has just one player committed with an MSU offer, and Michigan has none.

Are Michigan and Harbaugh competing for the same players?
    "Ohio State is turning away great players," said Steve Wiltfong, national analyst for 247Sports.com. "

And my favorite quote of the article...

Go Blue!!
  • And they're not done. This will be MSU's best recruiting class under Dantonio by far. Potentially finishing top 10-12 depending how later dominoes fall.
  • I just find it funny that "now" rankings matter to sparty.....  We should know all to well how well class rankings can not pan out on the field...

Be interesting how the coaching there deal with kids with a bit bigger heads and maybe not as hungry as there recruits have been for awhile.   They are straying a bit from the formula over the years that has improved there program.

• I just find it funny that "now" rankings matter to sparty.....  We should know all to well how well class rankings can not pan out on the field...

Be interesting how the coaching there deal with kids with a bit bigger heads and maybe not as hungry as there recruits have been for awhile.   They are straying a bit from the formula over the years that has improved there program.

That's the curse of winning, better recruiting classes.  I guess karma has finally caught up with them. 
  • Dantonio has milked the nobody respects us, us against the world philosophy for all it is worth. I would expect that to continue, even while bringing in more talented prospects. MSU has made a living over the past 7-8 years taking under-recruited guys and developing them into college stars. What happens when more physically gifted guys who are ready to play earlier show up?

I do find it ironic that MSU fans suddenly care a lot about the recruiting rankings now that they are bringing better classes.

• Dantonio has milked the nobody respects us, us against the world philosophy for all it is worth. I would expect that to continue, even while bringing in more talented prospects. MSU has made a living over the past 7-8 years taking under-recruited guys and developing them into college stars. What happens when more physically gifted guys who are ready to play earlier show up?

I do find it ironic that MSU fans suddenly care a lot about the recruiting rankings now that they are bringing better classes.

Can't blame them for staying optimistic through the rougher years.  That's the big difference, isn't it?  Look at the difference in culture.  When we took classes like they did, the friggin' sky was falling.  (Perhaps it did)
  • Our two biggest rivals aren't just ahead of us, they're WAY ahead of us.

Harbaugh has made Michigan relevant again in the media & the eyes of the fans. But the truth of the matter is we are no closer talent/player wise to winning a B1G championship today than we were the day Hoke was shown the door.
  • I don't say this to be an alarmist, but when you start projecting what this class (2016) could end up looking like moving forward, it becomes apparent that we face an uphill climb. 6 of the top 10 prospects in the state of Michigan have committed elsewhere, 2 of 3 undecided are trending elsewhere. Meanwhile, 7 of the top 10 in the state of Ohio have committed elsewhere, currently none of the undecided prospects are trending toward Michigan.

Now that doesn't mean the sky is falling, but what it does mean is that Michigan will have to put together what should be a full 25 man class without many prospects from the area where we have traditionally signed a significant number of players. We can debate the merits of the quality of players, but how strong of a recruiting class Michigan can build without a high number of players from Ohio and Michigan remains to be seen. Michigan has always had a nationally pull, but like every school in the country, local talent has still made up a significant number of players in our classes.

Local players are simply easier to land & keep. The prospects for signing the best players from other states, especially those outside of the regional is always going to be difficult (not just for Michigan). As it stands, that's the hill we have to climb.
  • Jabes0623 wrote:

Our two biggest rivals aren't just ahead of us, they're WAY ahead of us.

Harbaugh has made Michigan relevant again in the media & the eyes of the fans. But the truth of the matter is we are no closer talent/player wise to winning a B1G championship today than we were the day Hoke was shown the door.

No games have been played and it's been 5 months since Harbaugh was hired....what were you expecting?

Steve Wiltfong (247 sports) said it best about M$U, "They've become a household name program for kids. A lot of these high school football players aren't historians, so their point of reference goes back four or five years, if that. Michigan State's been good for as long as they've been paying attention to college football."

Michigan is so far out of sight and out of mind for today's athletes because we haven't done anything in almost 10 years. That's a lifetime in today's world.

Go Blue!!
  • I'm not expecting much of anything, my expectations seem considerably more reasonable than most I've seen/heard.

I wasn't bashing Harbaugh, I believe he's done as good a job as he possibly could've thus far, I was merely stating the fact that despite all the hoopla the reality of the situation isn't any different today than it was 5 months ago. This isn't going to be an overnight fix, it's going to take time to catch OSU & MooU & they're not going to stand at the top of the hill & wait for us.
  • Jabes0623 wrote:

No games have been played and it's been 5 months since Harbaugh was hired....what were you expecting?

Steve Wiltfong (247 sports) said it best about M$U, "They've become a household name program for kids. A lot of these high school football players aren't historians, so their point of reference goes back four or five years, if that. Michigan State's been good for as long as they've been paying attention to college football."

Michigan is so far out of sight and out of mind for today's athletes because we haven't done anything in almost 10 years. That's a lifetime in today's world.

Go Blue!!

By that line of thinking you would think we would have seen a bump after the 11-2 Sugar Bowl season
  • WolvyMike wrote:
    Jabes0623 wrote:

Go Blue!!

By that line of thinking you would think we would have seen a bump after the 11-2 Sugar Bowl season

We did see a bump, as Michigan had the #6 recruiting class in 2012 following that 11-2 season and then received 12 commitments for the 2013 class in February 2012 (ended as #5 class). We just haven't seen much production, if any, from those classes...Hoke's great recruiting classes never transferred over to Saturday's in the fall.

Go Blue!!
  • WolvyMike wrote:
    Jabes0623 wrote:

Go Blue!!

Well that and schools like Tennessee, Penn State, Miami, Notre Dame, and UCLA shouldn't have been able to recruit as well as they did/have after sucking for 7-8yrs.

If you can connect with players, you can recruit.
  • We're going to be just fine.  We didn't get here overnight so we're not getting out of this overnight.  It starts with the right coach and we finally have that.  He has players right now that will need to overachieve but Harbaugh has found a way to get that out of players at every stop.  Then the recruiting will kick-in.  But it's a minimum 3-year plan no matter how you slice it so we have to have..here it comes..patience.  (as if we're not all sick of that word by now.)
  • We're on our 3rd, 3 year, "wait and see" plan. It's hard being a Michigan fan, but Harbaugh is providing the light at the end of the tunnel feeling we all need.
  • [*] Tom VanHaaren, ESPN Staff Writer

Coach Jim Harbaugh’s first full class at Michigan hasn’t gotten off to the huge bang fans would like, but the trajectory is good and the staff has set themselves up to finish strong. Quite a few prospects the Wolverines are in on will be deciding later in the process or during the summer, so there is no need to fret for Michigan fans just yet.
  • Updated Team Rankings:

247 Sports
    #6 - M$U with 19 commits
    #9 - Michigan with 16 commits

Rivals
    #6 - M$U with 19 commits
    #9 - Michigan with 16 commits

ESPN
    Neither school ranked in the top 15

Go Blue!!