UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Class numbers

Here's a look at the breakdown of scholarships for the 2015 season, and what it means for recruiting moving forward:
RS SR: 5- this assumes Bellomy and Hayes are not awarded 5th years, Kerridge is. 
SR: 9
RS JR: 15- this assumes Kenny Allen is not on scholarship
JR: 12
RS SO: 14
SO: 3
RS FR: 12

That's 70 scholarships accounted for in 2015. Kenny Allen will likely be the starting P next year which warrants a scholarship. 71. If Hayes and Bellomy are awarded 5th years, that's 73. So minimum class size is 12.
Scenario to add more: Hayes and Bellomy are gone, Allen gets scholarship, and 2 (hinted at by Hoke) OL are medical scholarshiped and that gives you room for 16 potential commitments in 2015.

The numbers for 2016 are so far away with unknowns like 5th year seniors, attrition, number of 2015 kids we take, etc. that it's all speculation at this point. Will update these numbers after spring ball and if/when attrition occurs.

Comments

• Here's a look at the breakdown of scholarships for the 2015 season, and what it means for recruiting moving forward:
    RS SR: 5- this assumes Bellomy and Hayes are not awarded 5th years, Kerridge is. 
    SR: 9
    RS JR: 15- this assumes Kenny Allen is not on scholarship
    JR: 12
    RS SO: 14
    SO: 3
    RS FR: 12

That's 70 scholarships accounted for in 2015. Kenny Allen will likely be the starting P next year which warrants a scholarship. 71. If Hayes and Bellomy are awarded 5th years, that's 73. So minimum class size is 12.
    Scenario to add more: Hayes and Bellomy are gone, Allen gets scholarship, and 2 (hinted at by Hoke) OL are medical scholarshiped and that gives you room for 16 potential commitments in 2015.

The numbers for 2016 are so far away with unknowns like 5th year seniors, attrition, number of 2015 kids we take, etc. that it's all speculation at this point. Will update these numbers after spring ball and if/when attrition occurs.

• Personally, I'd rather leave more room for the '16 class to give Harbaugh more numbers for his first FULL recruiting class...

• Personally, I'd rather leave more room for the '16 class to give Harbaugh more numbers for his first FULL recruiting class...
    Agreed. I think the best strategy is to go with 14 kids in 2015 (QB, RB, WR, TE, 3 OL, 2 DE, OLB, CB, 2 S, K) and start the 2016 class with 14 open spots plus additional attrition. Would easily get to 20+.

Agreed. I think the best strategy is to go with 14 kids in 2015 (QB, RB, WR, TE, 3 OL, 2 DE, OLB, CB, 2 S, K) and start the 2016 class with 14 open spots plus additional attrition. Would easily get to 20+.

I also agree, except in cases where we can get highly rated players to commit in this class. Then we take them in 2015.
  • With 3 verbals this weekend, where does that put with 10 days left in this recruiting cycle...how many more kids can we expect to take and who are the targets?

Go Blue!!
  • Hayes is now gone. Bellomy likely to follow with the addition of a 2nd QB in the 2015 class. That puts the number at 71 like I initially anticipated. 9 current commits=80 total as of now. Likely 5 more spots remain, potentially up to 8 spots available with more attrition. 

Remaining targets:
    RB- Mike Weber
    FB- Reagan Williams
    TE- Chris Clark, Ty Wheatley, Matt Snyder
    DE- Jake Pickard, Raishon Neal
    OLB- Roquan Smith
    CB- Damon Arnette, Iman Marshall, Chris Williamson, Jarius Adams, Markel Bush

Outside guys that are still interested- Shelton Johnson (visited 16-17), Auden Tate (visited during the season), and Ryan Davis (no chance if he doesn't visit this weekend)

Best guess: Williams, Clark, Wheatley, Pickard, Neal, and 2 corners listed above.

• With 3 verbals this weekend, where does that put with 10 days left in this recruiting cycle...how many more kids can we expect to take and who are the targets?

Go Blue!!
    With Hayes leaving my guess is 5-6 more players.

Jake Pickard is only a matter of time, he could play TE or DE, we've told him DE.
    2 DBs seems likely given the number of offers/visits out, but who knows we may only take 1.-Damon Arnette, Jarius Adams, Chris Williamson,  Markel Bush, Iman Marshall (pipe dream) 
    1-2 RB/FB-Weber, Reagan Williams
    1-2 TEs-Clark, Matt Synder

We recently handed out an offer to DE Daishon Neal so the coaches may know about another opening or 2, or Neal could replace one of the names above. Several last minute visits got out last weekend so by Friday this list could look very different who knows.
  • This class is definitely going to be a wacky bunch...no rhyme or reason.

Go Blue!!

Go Blue!!

Jake Pickard is only a matter of time, he could play TE or DE, we've told him DE.
    2 DBs seems likely given the number of offers/visits out, but who knows we may only take 1.-Damon Arnette, Jarius Adams, Chris Williamson,  Markel Bush, Iman Marshall (pipe dream) 

We recently handed out an offer to DE Daishon Neal so the coaches may know about another opening or 2, or Neal could replace one of the names above. Several last minute visits got out last weekend so by Friday this list could look very different who knows.

Based on everything I'm seeing, Weber seems like he's pretty solid to OSU. Are we looking at any other tailbacks? I know we've offered others at FB.
  • Weber tweeted today about how a 17 year old shouldn't be stressing like this. Sounds like Harbaugh might have a shot in the end. We'll see.

As of last night, it sounds like Williams will stick with Stanford.
  • LBC-blue wrote:

With 3 verbals this weekend, where does that put with 10 days left in this recruiting cycle...how many more kids can we expect to take and who are the targets?

Go Blue!!

Based on everything I'm seeing, Weber seems like he's pretty solid to OSU. Are we looking at any other tailbacks? I know we've offered others at FB.
    We haven't showed strong interest in any other RBs, haven't setup visits with any. It's pretty much Weber or bust at RB barring some 11th hour interest this week with an off the radar guy.

I personally have an irrational level of optimism on Weber with no evidence to support it besides my opinion that he wants to be at Michigan and eventually that will win out.  He isn't behaving like a guy that's about to flip though.
  • Bellomy gone now. So if Allen is put on schollie, that means 14 spots in 2015 class with no additional attrition.
  • There's only a half scholly available.  They are retaining Bellomy's helmet.  LMAO
  • Heitzman Transferring so that opens up another scholarship.

9 verbals, 6 open spots?

Go Blue!!
  • Heitzman was not included in my initial count of 5 RS Sr (same with Bellomy, Hayes). I still have the number at 70, 71 if Allen is given a scholarship. 5 open spots as of now. 

The 5 RS SRs I counted are- G. Glasgow, Countess, Kerridge, Morgan, and Miller.
  • We are either going to hit a huge freaking home run on signing day, or get left scrambling.  Man I hope it's a home run.
  • We'll probably hit on some and miss on others. I don't think this class was going to make or break us anyway. Next year though...
  • We won't be "scrambling." For all the missteps of Hoke recruiting was NOT one of them. There are plenty of bodies and they are talented. Can't wait to see what Harbaugh and staff can do with them.

This was the trade off of getting Harbaugh. Our 2015 class was not going to be a fantastic one, but hey...we got Jim Harbaugh for crying out loud! We will gladly sacrifice one recruiting class for years of Harbaugh coaching. We could of hired a different coach earlier and had a decent class but does anyone want to do that?

Harbaugh will put together one heck of a 2016 class and we wot be any worse for it.
  • I've seen what one bad recruiting class can do to a team.  We've been scrambling for years trying to make up for Rich Rods lack of recruiting.  Yes, it's a trade off, but I still hope we get some solid kids to fill out the class and not just bank anything for next season.
  • WolvyMike wrote:

I've seen what one bad recruiting class can do to a team.  We've been scrambling for years trying to make up for Rich Rods lack of recruiting.  Yes, it's a trade off, but I still hope we get some solid kids to fill out the class and not just bank anything for next season.
    We were recovering from multiple years of poor recruiting classes during the Rich Rod era that left us with ZERO depth at several key positions, most notably the offensive line. 

Depth is not an issue anymore and I don't see one off recruiting class causing much more than a ripple in the grand scheme of things especially once Harbaugh gets rolling...
  • Is tomorrow shaping up to be a day to celebrate or a day of disappointment?

Go Blue!!
  • I think we celebrate regardless. We got JH to come after all. Looks like things aren't trending our way on a few recruits now but it appears that we will get Jefferson and Weber.

There's also rumblings of some grad transfers coming as well if there are spots available. One I'm hearing is CB Wayne Lyons from Stanford. That would be a huge pick up for us.

• I think we celebrate regardless. We got JH to come after all. Looks like things aren't trending our way on a few recruits now but it appears that we will get Jefferson and Weber.

There's also rumblings of some grad transfers coming as well if there are spots available. One I'm hearing is CB Wayne Lyons from Stanford. That would be a huge pick up for us.

Jefferson, Wheatley, and Weber would be real nice for us. I still don't count us out for Clark either. It could be a mixed bag tomorrow, but I'm happy either way with the effort that's been put out by this staff these last couple weeks.
  • Starting number for 2016 is 14. Obvious non-renewed fifth years for the 16 season are out there, so the starting number as of today, IMO, is 18.
  • How come we are taking such small numbers this year and 2016?

Go Blue!!

Go Blue!!

If it starts at 18, it's getting to like 22-23 range. I will recount everything tonight to make sure I have the numbers right. 

Reminder: this number doesn't include guys that will take medical hardships, transfer, quit football, etc. in the next year. Some of those things will happen, they always do. 

Go Blue!!

I don't get that either?  I mean, we only took 16 last year and this year stands at 14.  So that leaves room for only 18 next year?  Meanwhile, OSU signs 27+ and their roster is at 90+? 

Seems like we should be due for a big class next year...

• Also, wouldn't we be able to increase the number if we had 4-5 early enrollees?  I know that helped OSU with this class because they had like 5 early enrollees that counted towards their last class.
  • The simple answer is, our 2012 and 2013 classes were large and we've had dispportionally low attrition out of those classes.

We have A LOT of upperclassmen on scholarship (that's generally a good thing).

[link=http://mgoblog.com/content/michigan-depth-chart-class-0]http://mgoblog.com/conten...an-depth-chart-class-0[/link]
  • Between 5th year guys not asked back and likely dispportionally high attrition with the coaching change we'll probably end up taking a full class in 2016.