UMGOBLUE.COM

Jim Harbaugh Thread

Comments

• Word isthat there is stuff going down at the regents/AD level, with meetings scheduled today and Monday. It is possible some of these meetings may turn into public events.
    School is on Christmas break stay tuned
  • uneek1 wrote:

MF4L I am not dismissing the NFL. And yes he is a good NFL coach I will not argue that. But answer me this he has succeeded in the NFL and yet the current team he is on doesn't want him there. That in itself has to make you think. Now there are a million reasons as to why but that framework alone tells me his long term future isn't in the NFL.

Harbaugh can go to any other team and be in the same boat in two years or less. If he goes to lets say Chicago (I will give you a team with some talent) he has two years to get them in the playoffs and its going to take at least one year to fix the defense. If the Bears miss the playoffs is he staying for year 3? At 8+ mil? No NFL team is going to a coach with no championship higher than one that has one. Not even the Raiders are dumb enough to do that. UM gave him an offer he cant refuse. Control plus cash!!!

Leaving Stanford is kind of a no brainer he had taken them as far as he could plus they are not a football school to begin with. He walked into a situation in SF where he had a decent set up to win immediately so def made sense to move there.

Now in this scenario its flipped. UM has talent he can win right away and he is getting paid.Tell me what the NFL can offer that is better than that set-up?
    See you say things like this, then say you aren't dismissing the NFL. That's exactly what you're doing.

I`ve said from the jump, I don't believe Harbaugh is coming back to college anytime soon for a lot of different reasons. I still believe that. That doesn't mean I can't envision a scenario where he does. Maybe he is fed up with the NFL, who knows. You have to turn the coin from the other side though, you can't dismiss the draw of the NFL.

If his ambition is to coach and win in the NFL (which you have to go on until he takes a different path), Michigan/college offers him NOTHING. Except/until that itch goes away, or he is out of NFL options the prospect of beating up on Kirk Ferentz is not a draw. Coaches don't look at things the same way you or I do. They aren't wired like us. The grind and the challenge IS the appeal. Having it easy ISN'T appealing for everyone. If you've read the Wickersham profile of Harbaugh (which I would highly suggest [link=http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11625088/san-francisco-49ers-head-coach-jim-harbaugh-thrives-chaos-difficulty]http://espn.go.com/nfl/st...rives-chaos-difficulty[/link] ) you know that the man thrives in conflict and creates dysfunction. The prospect of getting fired in 2 years if you don't win doesn't compute for a guy like Harbaugh, or Chip Kelly. That's not a pull to go back to college for guy with that level of ego/ambition.

That's also true for the prospect of taking over what you or I consider a bad team. Not that I buy Harbaugh's only options being bad teams, there will be 6-7 NFL openings. The 49ers weren't the crown jewel of the NFL when Harbaugh took the job, that didn't stop him. The challenge is why you go to the NFL.

How is that statement dismissing the NFL?  All I said is he is getting full control plus cash. Where in the NFL is he getting that? Give me one team that is going to make him Head Coach/GM and pay him as the highest coach in the game!! Those are options that heavily outweigh any NFL options he has.

I will make it as simple and plain for you. He has to answer to more powerful people than himself who control what happens to him. And that is regardless of any team he goes too. He went 43-18 in the NFL and he is looking for a job with a year left on his deal!!!  That is unheard of in the NFL and yet that is the reality of his situation.

Not too mention he has no leverage in the NFL because the 9er's can just fire him and pay him and he cant be touched from another NFL team without compensation to the 9'ers.

Coupled with the fact That his relationship building within his own organization sucks why? Because he has too many people to answer to. Again the guy is 43-18 since he took the job and his bosses hate him really?!?!?!? I thought the NFL was about winning...regardless of his personality test scores blah blah blah at the end of the day we as humans want to go to the place where we have the most control over the things we do as it relates to a career. And UM gives him the best chance.

I am not dismissing the NFL I am saying its not as much of a factor as people think. and nebver speaking to him I cant say for certain but the consideration alone tells me he knows what he is getting at UM.
  • Actually he does have leverage with the Niners because of Michigan. He can use Michigan as a way of saying I can leave without you getting anything from it. 
  • Maize927 wrote:

Actually he does have leverage with the Niners because of Michigan. He can use Michigan as a way of saying I can leave without you getting anything from it. 

How is that leverage? He cant talk to any team while he is under contract with them.  They want him gone. They will be the ones to decide where he goes not JH!! Remember folks the NFL teams that want him have to come to SF first for permission to talk. He cant shop his services around. If his deal were ending and they wanted him back UM would be leverage for him but in this case its his saving grace!!

But lets face it they are not getting a first round pick or second round pick for a coach. So it may be worth it in the long run for JH to resign lose the last year of the deal to get a raise at the next place.
  •  If you've read the Wickersham profile of Harbaugh (which I would highly suggest [link=http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11625088/san-francisco-49ers-head-coach-jim-harbaugh-thrives-chaos-difficulty]http://espn.go.com/nfl/st...rives-chaos-difficulty[/link] ) you know that the man thrives in conflict and creates dysfunction. The prospect of getting fired in 2 years if you don't win doesn't compute for a guy like Harbaugh, or Chip Kelly. That's not a pull to go back to college for guy with that level of ego/ambition.
    Can you imagine the wars THAT guy will have with Dantonio?
  • Every moment of uncertainty essentially hurts the university and the program and recruiting, unless you have a plan in place with a potential backup plan both staying close to the proverbial vest(not of the sweater variety) which I think the current AD and all involved have. 

It's an active NFL or college bowl bound coach as the primary candidate(s).
    The leaked information about Harbaugh's "offer" could be by anyone looking to profit from the current state of Michigan and test the market reaction.

The $$, the college vs. pro argument, the geographical implications are all ancillary and really not what it's about. With Harbaugh, it's how does coming to Michigan impact my legacy as a coach, and do I really want to go there.

• The Jim Harbaugh madness continues, and now, things appear to be getting rather real. 
    [link=https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/posts/872748932777749]ESPN.com's Adam Schefter[/link] reported Friday that Harbaugh's family is currently encouraging him to leave the professional ranks and take Michigan's open head coaching position once the NFL season ends. 
    But, at the same time, Harbaugh himself appears torn, as "his heart is in the NFL." 
    Schefter reports that Harbaugh would like to wait to hear all of his NFL options before making a decision on the Michigan job, but also added that Harbaugh's agent -- David Dunn -- presently has a solid handle on what his realistic pro options might be in the coming weeks and months. 
    Harbaugh wants to finish out the regular season with the 49ers before making any decisions, per Schefter, coaching this Saturday against San Diego and then against Arizona on Dec. 28. 
    The report stats that Harbaugh's father, Jack (who coached at Michigan in the 1970s), is very fond of current Michigan interim athletic director Jim Hackett (who played at Michigan in the 1970s), and that his wife is also OK with moving to Ann Arbor should Harbaugh opt to take the Michigan job. 
    Schefter also reports that recruiting and the work that comes with it is not something that will be a determining factor in this decision. 
    On Wednesday, the [link=http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/12/nfl_network_michigan_offers_ji.html]NFL Network [/link]reported that Michigan has made Harbaugh an offer totaling 6 years and $48 million to return to his alma mater and coach. FoxSports.com's Bruce Feldman reported Friday morning that the dollar amount on that offer was not that high. 
    Speaking with reporters [link=http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/12/jim_harbaugh_again_refuses_to.html]Thursday[/link] in California, Harbaugh again declined to speak on the reported Michigan offer or the coaching vacancy at all, insisting once again that his focus is on his current job with San Francisco. 
    It has been long expected that the 2014 season will be Harbaugh's last with the 49ers, as the coach and the team's upper management have had an ongoing feud for more than a year. Harbaugh signed a 5-year, $25 million contract to coach the 49ers in 2011, and still has one year remaining. 
    Reports have suggested that San Francisco wishes to trade Harbaugh once the season ends, but in order to do that, the coach would have to agree to all terms -- including what his new franchise is or isn't giving up in the deal. 

• Thanks for some clarity on the situation.
  • Harbaugh again declined to speak on the reported Michigan offer or the coaching vacancy at all, insisting once again that his focus is on his current job with San Francisco. 
    This is the most important sentence.  So in other words, everything written is conjecture.  The peak of the nonsense IMO was that one columnist who wrote along the lines of "the David Cutcliffe rumor was false, but if it were true it would make sense in the Harbaugh spectrum because...".  They are writing whatever they can without facts.

Still can't believe Michigan would pinning all their hopes and waiting until the NFL season is over unless they had a sense that Harbaugh would be coming to AA, but there I go assuming.  It's been 18 days since the job became available.  Two-and-a-half weeks is a long time when it only took Jesus a couple days to come back from the dead.

• When all is said and done and JH is in AA, John bacon will have another book to write on the behind the scenes of the hire
  • zjgm02 wrote:
    Harbaugh again declined to speak on the reported Michigan offer or the coaching vacancy at all, insisting once again that his focus is on his current job with San Francisco. 
    This is the most important sentence.  So in other words, everything written is conjecture.  The peak of the nonsense IMO was that one columnist who wrote along the lines of "the David Cutcliffe rumor was false, but if it were true it would make sense in the Harbaugh spectrum because...".  They are writing whatever they can without facts.

Still can't believe Michigan would pinning all their hopes and waiting until the NFL season is over unless they had a sense that Harbaugh would be coming to AA, but there I go assuming.  It's been 18 days since the job became available.  Two-and-a-half weeks is a long time when it only took Jesus a couple days to come back from the dead.

Maybe I'm naive, but Bo always preached to fulfill your obligations.  I see nothing wrong with this UNLESS his heart is with the NFL and he is stringing Michigan along which I strongly don't think (pure conjecture).
  • Isn't that the same website that is owned and ran by the 17yo high school senior Ace Williams? That site has as much credibility as the **** I took in my toilet after eating taco bell on friday. 
  • Goblue88 wrote:
    Isn't that the same website that is owned and ran by the 17yo high school senior Ace Williams? That site has as much credibility as the **** I took in my toilet after eating taco bell on friday. 

ya that's the site.
  • If the Chargers come back and win this game, Harbaugh should just get on a plane to Michigan now.

Go Blue!!

• If the Chargers come back and win this game, Harbaugh should just get on a plane to Michigan now.

Go Blue!!
    We can only hope he's on his ways Go Chargers..... He might be considering signing right now... Cause his godlike status in the NFL is starting to look a bit fractured.... So come home Chosen One.
  • How the heck did they find a way to lose to the Chargers?

They were dominating that game.  Outscored 31-7 after the first half is terrible.
  • ^^ yeah, he really "Hoke'd" that game, huh?
  • I read where da Bears are trying to stick their nose in and screw  things up for us. Thanks
  • Also heard that the Bears will not spend the money to get him.
  • If the bet is on Harbaugh, then should we be looking at the 30th as the drop-dead date for an announcement?
  • Looks like he'll be gone from the 49ers by the 30th anyway. Whether he'll be ready to make a decision immediately, well, that's another matter. I do believe that the Halas family will make a run at Jim. They may have a reputation as being frugal, but look what they ponied up for Cutler...What's 7 or 8 million more per year to get somebody coaching that team that can help get them a decent return on that investment?
    [link=http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/report-49ers-will-part-ways-harbaugh-shortly-after-season]http://www.csnbayarea.com...h-shortly-after-season[/link]
  • All Blue Baby! Time to kick some Buckeye A$$
  • Current 49ers assistants saying UM fans are going to be really happy in about a week...

John Elway (who tried to get Harbaugh to Denver in 2011) said that within NFL circles it's known that Harbaugh to UM is "pretty much done."

Stephen Ross said yesterday that Philbin will be back as the Dolphins head coach next season...squashing any ideas that he will pursue Harbaugh or that Miami would even be an opening next season...

Go Blue!!

• Current 49ers assistants saying UM fans are going to be really happy in about a week...

John Elway (who tried to get Harbaugh to Denver in 2011) said that within NFL circles it's known that Harbaugh to UM is "pretty much done."

Stephen Ross said yesterday that Philbin will be back as the Dolphins head coach next season...squashing any ideas that he will pursue Harbaugh or that Miami would even be an opening next season...

Go Blue!!
    I think this is just one of those wait and will happen things. I have been saying all along as much as Harbaugh wants to stay in the NFL UM gives him the best long term career option by far. There is no team that can hire him that will put him closer to a SB than he was with SF. He is getting money plus full control and I don't care what anyone says about how much he wants to be in the NFL no coach is turning down top end pay plus control.  End of the month him and Hackett will be sitting next to each other answering questions!!
  • Harbaugh to UM is looking more & more likely by the day. At this point if Harbaugh doesn't take the UM job I believe the program will be set back far more than it has been by anything that has happened on or off the field since Lloyd's "retirement." You can't put everything on the table that we have & wait this long only to fail without serious consequences.It's Harbaugh or bust now.