UMGOBLUE.COM

Jim Harbaugh Thread

Comments

• As alluded to earlier today on MGoBlog.com, in recent days, Jim Harbaugh sent a text message to Andy Moeller (an offensive line coach on the Browns and the son of Gary Moeller) stating that it looked like they’d be “getting the band back together” — meaning former Michigan players led by Harbaugh heading back to Ann Arbor in an attempt to resurrect the Michigan football program. There has been speculation that Moeller would be a part of Harbaugh’s staff if he left the NFL for U of M.
    Our source is inside the U of M athletic department and is well-connected. We also confirmed the text message story through a former Michigan football player.

[link=http://detroitjockcity.com/2014/12/16/jim-harbaugh-michigan-noise-loud-ignore/]http://detroitjockcity.com/2014/12/16/jim-harbaugh-michigan-noise-loud-ignore/[/link]
  • uneek1 wrote:

This is going to happen. No way he walks away from that kind of cash. He has a better cast to work with than any NFL team he can go to with less pressure. He is going to get at least 2 years to rebuild but I see them in a mid level bowl game next year with him as coach.

This is just a matter of time. But to be honest he should be in his 8th year right now because Martin should've hired him after Carr left. But better late than never.
    Come on, you really think it's about money???

If he comes it's not going to be money related, and if he decides to stay in the NFL it's not going to be money related. There's a laundry list of legit reasons why Jim Harbaugh may chose to stay in the NFL that have nothing to do with money and vice versa. If he decides to come to Michigan it's because he wants to be in college football and all that comes with it. If he likes the NFL, no amount of money will get him to Michigan.

• My Christmas wish poem to Jim Harbaugh:

I am hoping to hear by Christmas day
    That you are going to take the Michigan pay
    It is time to get UM back on track
    And to get back to the top of the pack
    We have lost too many times to Ohio State
    And need to start beating them before it is too late
    So let's enjoy the holiday season and say it is so
    Come home to Ann Arbor to replace your favorite coach Bo!
  • [link=http://grantland.com/the-triangle/dear-jim-harbaugh-just-go-to-michigan/]Dear Jim Harbaugh: Just Go to Michigan[/link]

A very entertaining read from what is becoming the best website on the planet.
  • uneek1 wrote:

This is going to happen. No way he walks away from that kind of cash. He has a better cast to work with than any NFL team he can go to with less pressure. He is going to get at least 2 years to rebuild but I see them in a mid level bowl game next year with him as coach.

This is just a matter of time. But to be honest he should be in his 8th year right now because Martin should've hired him after Carr left. But better late than never.

If he comes it's not going to be money related, and if he decides to stay in the NFL it's not going to be money related. There's a laundry list of legit reasons why Jim Harbaugh may chose to stay in the NFL that have nothing to do with money and vice versa. If he decides to come to Michigan it's because he wants to be in college football and all that comes with it. If he likes the NFL, no amount of money will get him to Michigan.

Not all about money but it def adds a really nice desert to a full course meal!! UM took the NFL pay scale and said we can match that. No way any NFL team is gonna cough up a guaranteed 8 mil for 6 years for Harbaugh. A six year commitment to an NFL coach not named Belicheck???

To me this is why its a matter of time:

1. He isn't going to wait another 4 weeks to interview for an NFL job.

2. He leash is WAY shorter in the NFL he will have two years max to turn it around wherever he goes. At UM he will be in e New Years Day game in 2017 possibly in the playoff but he will get at least 4 years guaranteed unless he sh*!s the bed which we all know is very very unlikely to happen.

3. He is getting maximum control and UM everything with that program will start and end with him with no interference from admin so long as he gives them no reason to. No dumb stuff and bad press he will rule with an iron fist which is what they need!! He is def no ones yes man and the admin has to know that going in or they wouldn't have thrown that cash at him.

4. He is a QB away from a national power again at UM. The climb is way shorter than any program he was at previous.

I am calling it the presser will be before 2014 ends :

introducing the next head coach and the University of Michigan.... 

• I also heard a rumor if JH becomes next HC, ZJ says he will go naked bear camping that next weekend. Is this true, ZJ?
  • Harbaugh set to address the media in his weekly presser at 4:40pm. What will he say?  Grab some popcorn.....
  • JH quote from 18 December 2014...."I guess I have to say it.  I'm not going to be Michigan coach. ....I don't control what uneek1 or Lord Hearteater or Adam Schefter say.  I don't control what people put on UMGoBlue.com or anything else.  So I'm just telling you there's no significance, in my opinion, about this, about me, about any interest that I have in anything other than being the coach here."

JH quote from 26 December 2014...."I'm just making a rule to never comment on something like that again because everytime you comment on it, it just makes for another story.  So I'm no going to comment on it five years from now, and I'm not going to comment on it next week."

JH quote from 29 December 2014.... "What I realized in the last four years is that we love college coaching because of the ability that it gives you to affect people, young people.  ...If I knew that my heart was someplace else in what I wanted to do, I don't think it would be fair to the 49ers organization if I stayed."

Hackett quote from later that day 29 December 2014... "Let me be the first to say this to the entire Michigan nation....meet your new J. Ira and Nicki Harris Family Head Football Coach, Coach Jim Harbaugh!"

GO BLUE!
  • uneek1 wrote:
    uneek1 wrote:

Not all about money but it def adds a really nice desert to a full course meal!! UM took the NFL pay scale and said we can match that. No way any NFL team is gonna cough up a guaranteed 8 mil for 6 years for Harbaugh. A six year commitment to an NFL coach not named Belicheck???

2. He leash is WAY shorter in the NFL he will have two years max to turn it around wherever he goes. At UM he will be in e New Years Day game in 2017 possibly in the playoff but he will get at least 4 years guaranteed unless he sh*!s the bed which we all know is very very unlikely to happen.

3. He is getting maximum control and UM everything with that program will start and end with him with no interference from admin so long as he gives them no reason to. No dumb stuff and bad press he will rule with an iron fist which is what they need!! He is def no ones yes man and the admin has to know that going in or they wouldn't have thrown that cash at him.

4. He is a QB away from a national power again at UM. The climb is way shorter than any program he was at previous.

If he takes the Saints or Falcons job there is no climb, those are playoff teams that underachieved. Plus who's to say Jim even wants GM responsibilities? Everyone assumes he does because of his relationship with the 49ers was poor. That could easily be a clash of styles or personality.

All I`m saying is that there are plenty of reasons for Jim Harbaugh to remain in the NFL. There are plenty of negatives that come with being a college coach as well. Battling admissions, the NCAA, and/or the AD is no easier than battling a GM or owner. There's actually more people you have to try to please in college than the NFL.
  • [link=https://twitter.com/ZoltanMesko][image]https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/510934141916180480/Gs-pPddS_bigger.jpeg[/image]Zoltan MeskoVerified account‏@ZoltanMesko[/link]

BREAKING: It's difficult to see, but Michigan is two feet below in this picture.
    [link=
    [/link]Reply   Retweet   Favorite   More
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________

Funniest thing I have read all day
  • While it looks likely that JH will be the next coach, which I think is an exciting development with great upside (and downside) potential, it is also surprising given the past negative comments by JH towards the University ... I guess people have short memories. Carr did not want JH on his staff, which pissed JH off and he in turn pissed off many UM people - I was told at the time that JH would never coach at UM.
    But times change, and UM needs a change so I am hopeful this will be a positive move ... and not another train wreck!  Personally I would prefer brother John, but at this stage either one would be good.  Go Blue!
  • My biggest fear if we get him is him bolting after a few seasons back to the NFL
  • Deception wrote:

My biggest fear if we get him is him bolting after a few seasons back to the NFL
    If he can fix this mess in just a few seasons, that would be OK. Then one of his Asst. coaches can take the wheel and continue on.
  • jsj_297 wrote:

I also heard a rumor if JH becomes next HC, ZJ says he will go naked bear camping that next weekend. Is this true, ZJ?
    tumblr_mg9fk3zeCj1qazkdco1_500.gif
  • uneek1 wrote:
    uneek1 wrote:

If he takes the Saints or Falcons job there is no climb, those are playoff teams that underachieved. Plus who's to say Jim even wants GM responsibilities? Everyone assumes he does because of his relationship with the 49ers was poor. That could easily be a clash of styles or personality.

All I`m saying is that there are plenty of reasons for Jim Harbaugh to remain in the NFL. There are plenty of negatives that come with being a college coach as well. Battling admissions, the NCAA, and/or the AD is no easier than battling a GM or owner. There's actually more people you have to try to please in college than the NFL.
    Think about this. He has gone to the playoffs every year he has been in SF except for this year and they still want him out!! Do you think if he went to 3 str8 CFB playoffs at UM he would be gone?

AT UM he will have way more control over his situation. He will be able to recruit top notch athletes with his NFL pedigree especially QB's. He will have control over the talent where in the NFL he has to mesh with an already established GM. At UM he is the GM!

He is guaranteed 8 mil. Do you think any NFL is guaranteeing him 6 years as the highest paid coach in the game without a SB ring??? The only team that might is Oakland and he has way more work to do there than at UM. And even there he would need to have them in the playoffs by 2016 tops
    The NFL has the greatest risk reward with a lot less in your control. At UM he is getting paid NFL money with complete control. What coach on this planet would turn that down?
  • uneek1 wrote:
    uneek1 wrote:
    uneek1 wrote:

Think about this. He has gone to the playoffs every year he has been in SF except for this year and they still want him out!! Do you think if he went to 3 str8 CFB playoffs at UM he would be gone?

AT UM he will have way more control over his situation. He will be able to recruit top notch athletes with his NFL pedigree especially QB's. He will have control over the talent where in the NFL he has to mesh with an already established GM. At UM he is the GM!

He is guaranteed 8 mil. Do you think any NFL is guaranteeing him 6 years as the highest paid coach in the game without a SB ring??? The only team that might is Oakland and he has way more work to do there than at UM. And even there he would need to have them in the playoffs by 2016 tops
    The NFL has the greatest risk reward with a lot less in your control. At UM he is getting paid NFL money with complete control. What coach on this planet would turn that down?
    Hmmm let me think

A coach that
    [ol][*] Prefers the NFL football to college[*]Wants to compete at the highest level[*]Doesn't like kissing the ass of 17 year old kids[*]Doesn't like schmoozing boosters, alumni, or former players[*]Doesn't like fund raising[*]Doesn't like battling admissions or the NCAA[*]Doesn't want to deal with ineligibility nonsense for autographs, academics, or contact with agents[*]Likes being able to coach all year long [/ol]  
    I could go on but you get the point. Maybe Jim Harbaugh decides to return to college, but don't act like there's NO REASON for him to remain in the NFL. College represents it's own set of problems and issues.  If Jim Harbaugh was worried about job security he would have never left Stanford. Coaches with big egos never think about getting fired when they move up, it's counter to their personality and part of why they're as good of coaches as they are. Being comfortable doesn't trump ambition. It's why Steve Spurrier left Florida where he was king. Why Nick Saban left LSU where he was king. Why Jimmy Johnson left Miami where he was king. Why Bobby Patrino left Louisville where he was king.

Not only is Harbaugh highly ambitious, not only does he want to compete at the highest level, he's good at it and he knows it.
  • uneek1 wrote:
    uneek1 wrote:
    uneek1 wrote:

Hmmm let me think

A coach that
    [ol][*]Prefers the NFL football to college[*]Wants to compete at the highest level[*]Doesn't like kissing the ass of 17 year old kids[*]Doesn't like schmoozing boosters, alumni, or former players[*]Doesn't like fund raising[*]Doesn't like battling admissions or the NCAA[*]Doesn't want to deal with ineligibility nonsense for autographs, academics, or contact with agents[*]Likes being able to coach all year long [/ol]  
    I could go on but you get the point. Maybe Jim Harbaugh decides to return to college, but don't act like there's NO REASON for him to remain in the NFL. College represents it's own set of problems and issues.  If Jim Harbaugh was worried about job security he would have never left Stanford. Coaches with big egos never think about getting fired when they move up, it's counter to their personality and part of why they're as good of coaches as they are. Being comfortable doesn't trump ambition. It's why Steve Spurrier left Florida where he was king. Why Nick Saban left LSU where he was king. Why Jimmy Johnson left Miami where he was king. Why Bobby Patrino left Louisville where he was king.

Not only is Harbaugh highly ambitious, not only does he want to compete at the highest level, he's good at it and he knows it.

All of your points are based off of what? Your opinion?  Has he stated or ever hinted at not liking the things you mentioned?

The points I make are ones not taking his feelings (which I know nothing about) into account. How do you know he doesn't like 17 year olds? How do you know he would have to battle admissions at UM? How do you know he doesn't like fund raising? I mean there are cons with pro jobs as well. So don't try to justly your point by bringing up the "so-called" cons. Bring up legit reasons why he has a better chance for long term success in the NFL? What are the known options not the conceived ones.

Here is my point which you seem to miss. He is a coach and there isn't a coach in America (except for the previous one at UM) that doesn't want as much control as he can have. UM offers him the best scenario for him to have long term success. Period end of story. All of the other ego stuff is out the window at 50 plus which he is. I hope he isn't thinking like that he should be thinking about what situation offers him the best chance at a long term coaching career. Its funny all of the coaches you mentioned all came back to college except for Jimmy Johnson. I wonder why they all came back....one thing for sure it wasn't ego...Petrino, Spruuier, and Saban all are having long term success where???

Thanks for proving my point MF4L!
  • Ok, MF4L.  Allow the Devils Advocate (although this my read like a The Most Interesting Man in the World commercial ;)

A coach that 
    [ol][*]Prefers the NFL football to college  Been there, done that.[*]Wants to compete at the highest level   Already has.  Now wants to save his Alma mater.[*]Doesn't like kissing the ass of 17 year old kids.  Versus kissing the asses of cry baby millionaires?[*]Doesn't like schmoozing boosters, alumni, or former players.  They schmooze HIM, not the other way around.   [*]Doesn't like fund raising  The funds will show up just because of him.[*]Doesn't like battling admissions or the NCAA  Versus battling NFL owners and GM's?[*]Doesn't want to deal with ineligibility nonsense for autographs, academics, or contact with agents. Versus failed drug tests with cry baby millionaires[*]Likes being able to coach all year long  Or would like to be home with his family more. [/ol] None of this matters of course since none of us know what motivates him but there's probably truth in both of these.  College seems like a step backward to me too but maybe the NFL isn't everything he's looking for.  Hard to say.
  • uneek1 wrote:
    uneek1 wrote:
    uneek1 wrote:
    uneek1 wrote:

Hmmm let me think

A coach that
    [ol][*]Prefers the NFL football to college[*]Wants to compete at the highest level[*]Doesn't like kissing the ass of 17 year old kids[*]Doesn't like schmoozing boosters, alumni, or former players[*]Doesn't like fund raising[*]Doesn't like battling admissions or the NCAA[*]Doesn't want to deal with ineligibility nonsense for autographs, academics, or contact with agents[*]Likes being able to coach all year long [/ol]  

All of your points are based off of what? Your opinion?  Has he stated or ever hinted at not liking the things you mentioned?

The points I make are ones not taking his feelings (which I know nothing about) into account. How do you know he doesn't like 17 year olds? How do you know he would have to battle admissions at UM? How do you know he doesn't like fund raising? I mean there are cons with pro jobs as well. So don't try to justly your point by bringing up the "so-called" cons. Bring up legit reasons why he has a better chance for long term success in the NFL? What are the known options not the conceived ones.

Here is my point which you seem to miss. He is a coach and there isn't a coach in America (except for the previous one at UM) that doesn't want as much control as he can have. UM offers him the best scenario for him to have long term success. Period end of story. All of the other ego stuff is out the window at 50 plus which he is. I hope he isn't thinking like that he should be thinking about what situation offers him the best chance at a long term coaching career. Its funny all of the coaches you mentioned all came back to college except for Jimmy Johnson. I wonder why they all came back....one thing for sure it wasn't ego...Petrino, Spruuier, and Saban all are having long term success where???

Opinion has nothing to do with it. You have dismissed the possiblity of Harbaugh staying in the NFL from the equation, as though there are no reasons for a coach to chose the NFL over college. I gave you just a few reasons why a coach would. Statements like, "what coach would choose the NFL over that" invited the response you received. As for how do I know that Harbaugh cares about any of that, well he left a comfortable job at Stanford for the NFL, spurning Michigan in the process. On top of that he's given ZERO indication that he wants to return to college, every indication has been the opposite actually. People have been operating under the 'assume Harbaugh is interested until he says otherwise'. Which is foolishness. He LEFT the college game, you have to assume he's not interested in the college game or Michigan until he says otherwise not the other way around.

It's not funny that all but Jimmy Johnson returned to college, all but Jimmy Johnson were sub .500 NFL coaches. If Jim Harbaugh had a sub .500 record I could see your point. Bad NFL coaches slink their way back to college, tail between legs all the time. Jim Harbaugh is good at NFL football.
  • uneek1 wrote:
    uneek1 wrote:
    uneek1 wrote:
    uneek1 wrote:

Hmmm let me think

A coach that

Uneek scores again!![:)][:)]
  • TK23Blue wrote:

Ok, MF4L.  Allow the Devils Advocate (although this my read like a The Most Interesting Man in the World commercial ;)

A coach that 
    [ol][*]Prefers the NFL football to college  Been there, done that.[*]Wants to compete at the highest level   Already has.  Now wants to save his Alma mater.[*]Doesn't like kissing the ass of 17 year old kids.  Versus kissing the asses of cry baby millionaires?[*]Doesn't like schmoozing boosters, alumni, or former players.  They schmooze HIM, not the other way around.   [*]Doesn't like fund raising  The funds will show up just because of him.[*]Doesn't like battling admissions or the NCAA  Versus battling NFL owners and GM's?[*]Doesn't want to deal with ineligibility nonsense for autographs, academics, or contact with agents. Versus failed drug tests with cry baby millionaires[*]Likes being able to coach all year long  Or would like to be home with his family more. [/ol] None of this matters of course since none of us know what motivates him but there's probably truth in both of these.  College seems like a step backward to me too but maybe the NFL isn't everything he's looking for.  Hard to say.
    TK for 3!!![:)][:)][:)]
  • TK23Blue wrote:

Ok, MF4L.  Allow the Devils Advocate (although this my read like a The Most Interesting Man in the World commercial ;)

A coach that 
    No devil's advocate needed. I readily acknowledge that there are reasons for a coach to prefer college to the NFL. Jim Harbaugh may very well choose to return to college.

To dismiss the NFL completely and make blanket statements like there's no way he doesn't come is looney. There are plenty of ways he doesn't come.
  • TK23Blue wrote:

A coach that 
    No devil's advocate needed. I readily acknowledge that there are reasons for a coach to prefer college to the NFL. Jim Harbaugh may very well choose to return to college.

To dismiss the NFL completely and make blanket statements like there's no way he doesn't come is looney. There are plenty of ways he doesn't come.
    Completely agree.  This is far from a done deal and for every reason he'd have to come back to college there are probably 2 for staying in the NFL.  I'm probably at the 75% mark that he's coming, mostly because he probably would have publicly said no to M by this point.  It's not like he needs M throwing around money to raise the stakes for him.  He'll get the cash either way and from plenty of places.  My question is (and I'm not sure you've said anything either way): If he comes, are you happy with the hire or would you still prefer somebody else?
  • TK23Blue wrote:

A coach that 

MF4L I am not dismissing the NFL. And yes he is a good NFL coach I will not argue that. But answer me this he has succeeded in the NFL and yet the current team he is on doesn't want him there. That in itself has to make you think. Now there are a million reasons as to why but that framework alone tells me his long term future isn't in the NFL.

Harbaugh can go to any other team and be in the same boat in two years or less. If he goes to lets say Chicago (I will give you a team with some talent) he has two years to get them in the playoffs and its going to take at least one year to fix the defense. If the Bears miss the playoffs is he staying for year 3? At 8+ mil? No NFL team is going to a coach with no championship higher than one that has one. Not even the Raiders are dumb enough to do that. UM gave him an offer he cant refuse. Control plus cash!!!

Leaving Stanford is kind of a no brainer he had taken them as far as he could plus they are not a football school to begin with. He walked into a situation in SF where he had a decent set up to win immediately so def made sense to move there.

Now in this scenario its flipped. UM has talent he can win right away and he is getting paid.Tell me what the NFL can offer that is better than that set-up?
  • I just don't see the enthrallment with the NFL. Possibly it's because I'm a Browns fan. lol!

The pros seem to play strictly for the $$$ and when they are out of contention most seem to go through the motions. I guess they are too old to have unbridled enthusiasm except to act like idiots in the end zone when they score.

Sure, they are the best players in the world but it just seems to be all about the $$$ and cheerleaders (?) on the sidelines. Now I admit they are easy on the eyes but it seems so phony.

Colleges have their bands, fight songs, real cheerleaders, and more of an aura of "Win one for the Gipper!"

Bo, Woody and the Bear would never had made it in the pros. OTOH, do any of you think Bill Bellichick would have made it in college ball?

JH just seems cut out for the college game.
  • uneek1 wrote:

MF4L I am not dismissing the NFL. And yes he is a good NFL coach I will not argue that. But answer me this he has succeeded in the NFL and yet the current team he is on doesn't want him there. That in itself has to make you think. Now there are a million reasons as to why but that framework alone tells me his long term future isn't in the NFL.

Harbaugh can go to any other team and be in the same boat in two years or less. If he goes to lets say Chicago (I will give you a team with some talent) he has two years to get them in the playoffs and its going to take at least one year to fix the defense. If the Bears miss the playoffs is he staying for year 3? At 8+ mil? No NFL team is going to a coach with no championship higher than one that has one. Not even the Raiders are dumb enough to do that. UM gave him an offer he cant refuse. Control plus cash!!!

Leaving Stanford is kind of a no brainer he had taken them as far as he could plus they are not a football school to begin with. He walked into a situation in SF where he had a decent set up to win immediately so def made sense to move there.

Now in this scenario its flipped. UM has talent he can win right away and he is getting paid.Tell me what the NFL can offer that is better than that set-up?
    See you say things like this, then say you aren't dismissing the NFL. That's exactly what you're doing.

I`ve said from the jump, I don't believe Harbaugh is coming back to college anytime soon for a lot of different reasons. I still believe that. That doesn't mean I can't envision a scenario where he does. Maybe he is fed up with the NFL, who knows. You have to turn the coin from the other side though, you can't dismiss the draw of the NFL.

If his ambition is to coach and win in the NFL (which you have to go on until he takes a different path), Michigan/college offers him NOTHING. Except/until that itch goes away, or he is out of NFL options the prospect of beating up on Kirk Ferentz is not a draw. Coaches don't look at things the same way you or I do. They aren't wired like us. The grind and the challenge IS the appeal. Having it easy ISN'T appealing for everyone. If you've read the Wickersham profile of Harbaugh (which I would highly suggest [link=http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11625088/san-francisco-49ers-head-coach-jim-harbaugh-thrives-chaos-difficulty]http://espn.go.com/nfl/st...rives-chaos-difficulty[/link] ) you know that the man thrives in conflict and creates dysfunction. The prospect of getting fired in 2 years if you don't win doesn't compute for a guy like Harbaugh, or Chip Kelly. That's not a pull to go back to college for guy with that level of ego/ambition.

That's also true for the prospect of taking over what you or I consider a bad team. Not that I buy Harbaugh's only options being bad teams, there will be 6-7 NFL openings. The 49ers weren't the crown jewel of the NFL when Harbaugh took the job, that didn't stop him. The challenge is why you go to the NFL.

• ESPN Columbus, Ohio is reproting multiple S.F. news channels are reporting Harbaugh WILL accept the Michigan job.

I have the big (Ian Rapapport) & other NFL insiders scramble for info on Twitter. I will keep you posted.

• If his ambition is to coach and win in the NFL (which you have to go on until he takes a different path), Michigan/college offers him NOTHING. Except/until that itch goes away, or he is out of NFL options the prospect of beating up on Kirk Ferentz is not a draw. Coaches don't look at things the same way you or I do. They aren't wired like us. The grind and the challenge IS the appeal. Having it easy ISN'T appealing for everyone. If you've read the Wickersham profile of Harbaugh (which I would highly suggest [link=http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11625088/san-francisco-49ers-head-coach-jim-harbaugh-thrives-chaos-difficulty]http://espn.go.com/nfl/st...rives-chaos-difficulty[/link] ) you know that the man thrives in conflict and creates dysfunction. The prospect of getting fired in 2 years if you don't win doesn't compute for a guy like Harbaugh, or Chip Kelly. That's not a pull to go back to college for guy with that level of ego/ambition.

That's also true for the prospect of taking over what you or I consider a bad team. Not that I buy Harbaugh's only options being bad teams, there will be 6-7 NFL openings. The 49ers weren't the crown jewel of the NFL when Harbaugh took the job, that didn't stop him. The challenge is why you go to the NFL.

You don't think UM offers a HUGE challenge?  I do.  ONE more bad hire and we will be a middle of the packer forever.
    You say the challenge is why he goes to the NFL.  Hell, for the most part, it is one large fraternity.  I know being a Browns fan.
  • It's not funny that all but Jimmy Johnson returned to college, all but Jimmy Johnson were sub .500 NFL coaches. If Jim Harbaugh had a sub .500 record I could see your point. Bad NFL coaches slink their way back to college, tail between legs all the time. Jim Harbaugh is good at NFL football.
    [/quote]
    I am not suggesting that there are any parallels here, but I recall a radio interview with Jimmy Johnson from earlier this year (I think it was with Dan Patrick) where he was asked if he had been offered any HC jobs recently (answer: yes); if those jobs were NFL positions or college jobs (yes to both) and added that if he would ever consider returning to coaching, it would definitely be in the college game.  JJ said that while the demands and pressures associated with coaching at a major college program are huge, the tolls of NFL coaching far exceed the rewards.
    Now that's one guy who had already won a bunch of rings and was probably burned out by Jerry Jones, but ........