UMGOBLUE.COM

Jim Harbaugh Thread

Comments

• AD is close to having a deal with Harbaugh firmed up.  I have my concerns with Harbaugh, and never expected to see him welcomed back to UM, but my Stanford friends think this is a great deal for Michigan so I will keep my fingers crossed ... the upside possibilities are certainly bright, but so is the downside if JH melts down. Exciting times ahead - Go Blue!
  • 6 years 48 million is what Ian Rapaport on NFL Network is saying
  • If for some reason Harbaugh turns down becoming the 2nd highest paid coach in all of football (assuming the offer is true)....I hope we make the same offer to Chip Kelly as a plan B.
  • This info was out 2 nights ago. Love how all of a sudden it's news since the so called expert pundits (NFL insiders) have finally caught on. I think things have to speed up now, no??
  • jpw47 wrote:

This info was out 2 nights ago. Love how all of a sudden it's news since the so called expert pundits (NFL insiders) have finally caught on. I think things have to speed up now, no??
    No 2 nights ago we were hearing 8 years 49 million. Which was reasonable 6.5 mil a year. Now we are hearing that Michigan threw the kitchen sink and and the stove and the fridge along with it. 6 years 49 million over 8 mil a year. More than Saban more than Sean Payton the Highest Paid coach In Football NFL or College.  And now its all over the front page of ESPN and Yahoo let the games begin because the next week is going to a ride.
  • ESPN reporting Harbaugh offer and also Cutler is benched this weekend against the Lions. Could it be that the Tigers also are signing Max? Holy Merry Christmas!
  • Regardless, it was big money then and big money now. I'm just saying that all of a sudden it's big news because the NFL guys have been poo-pooing it all along as they can't fathom one of their own leaving the NFL to coach college ball. Now it's real - game on.
  • I don't like the media running with this story....... I'm having flashbacks of Les miles bailing in 07.

This is just going to turn into a bidding war.
  • TGoose74 wrote:

I don't like the media running with this story....... I'm having flashbacks of Les miles bailing in 07.

This is just going to turn into a bidding war.
    I don't mind a bidding war when we already are offering more than any coach in NFL or NCAA is paid. Al davis is dead No one is going to match our offer. His choice is Money and Legacy vs risking it all and coaching in the slums and staying in the NFL.
  • jpw47 wrote:

Regardless, it was big money then and big money now. I'm just saying that all of a sudden it's big news because the NFL guys have been poo-pooing it all along as they can't fathom one of their own leaving the NFL to coach college ball. Now it's real - game on.
    The NFL beat guys are total douches when it comes to anything outside the NFL.  The NFL is the greatest thing on the planet and everything else is irrelevant.  Explains why they don't know sh**.
  • TK23Blue wrote:
    jpw47 wrote:

Regardless, it was big money then and big money now. I'm just saying that all of a sudden it's big news because the NFL guys have been poo-pooing it all along as they can't fathom one of their own leaving the NFL to coach college ball. Now it's real - game on.
    The NFL beat guys are total douches when it comes to anything outside the NFL.  The NFL is the greatest thing on the planet and everything else is irrelevant.  Explains why they don't know sh**.

Best post of the week! They just can't fathom why anyone would prefer coaching college football to the NFL. IMHO, it's college football by a landslide!

Go Blue!!
  • I'm curious....if this is a true, legit offer, let's say JH passes on the job, would that bring some high calibre coaches out of the woodwork?

Would we have some big name coaches suddenly throwing their names into the basket, knowing that kind of money could be theirs???
  • TGoose74 wrote:

I'm curious....if this is a true, legit offer, let's say JH passes on the job, would that bring some high calibre coaches out of the woodwork?

Would we have some big name coaches suddenly throwing their names into the basket, knowing that kind of money could be theirs???

If this is true, like you said....This offer is exclusivy for Jim and Jim only.

IF Jim says no, this amount/type of money will not be offered to another coach.

Go Blue!!
  • 6 years/49M

The optimist in me is happy that Michigan has realized they will need to pony up if they want to be the best.  Also, that they finally got their man after a couple swings and misses; like Alabama's string of forgettable coaches buttoned up by Saban.

Harbaugh hasn't even accepted the offer yet or chosen a staff, but the pessimist in me sees that this will be the first time in his coaching career that he will be expected to win FAST.  True, by its very nature of the team being one of 32 cogs in the money-making media machine, the 49ers job came with plenty of implied pressure as the NFL is the highest highest peak in the football coaching world.  But the 49ers team JH took over was not good, so that belied the pressure a little and gave him, one would think, a little bit of patience from fans/ownership.

I don't think too much would have been expected of him at little San Diego, or at the academic Stanford.  After the last 7 years, I am concerned that this could be the one final GIANT flameout (and at that contract, with his personality that would be a colossal flameout) because of all the pressure that dooms the program.  Kind of a be-careful-what-you-wish-for situation.  But I will always try to see the opposite side of favorable, just to temper my own enthusiasm. 

Truth is the guy didn't just wake up one day with the success he's had.  It was a lot of hours, drive, intelligence and experience that can translate with any team.

I'm not sure how many of you watched or remember the 2011 Orange Bowl, but it should bring a smile to anyone's face that Harbaugh's team of eggheads just rolled over an 11-1 VaTech team.  His offensive line just pushed around a Bud Foster defense like they didn't even belong on the same field.

Imagine what an offensive line with the caliber of players Michigan can recruit would look like under him.
  • ^^ do u think he would retain funk?
  • If this is true and we have "rebuilding years" with losses to MSU and OSU, Can you see Dantonio just have field day having beat the highest paid coach in college football.  This is way to much money with a ton of down side if things don't pan out.
  • Why rebuilding years?

Hoke left JH with players built for his style of play
  • vixblue wrote:

If this is true and we have "rebuilding years" with losses to MSU and OSU, Can you see Dantonio just have field day having beat the highest paid coach in college football.  This is way to much money with a ton of down side if things don't pan out.

For Harbaugh, I'll risk it.  Go big or go home -  Besides, it's not yours or my money - who cares?
  • What Michigan needs most is a change in attitude, talent is not their issue.

Developing talent, yes.
  • We can't continue rebuilding or a risky hire. Harbaugh is the safest bet. He has won everywhere and Michigan fans want what he had at Stanford. You have to go all in for him. It's the only hope.

Do we really want a risky pick as coach? We'll be sweating bullets for the first 3 years wondering if a good season is a fluke or if a bad one leads to a string of bad ones.
  • Goblue88 wrote:
    jpw47 wrote:

Now we are hearing that Michigan threw the kitchen sink and and the stove and the fridge along with it. 6 years 49 million over 8 mil a year. More than Saban more than Sean Payton the Highest Paid coach In Football NFL or College.
    And Nick Saban is now the happiest guy in the world!  Jim Harbaugh just got him a raise.

Merry Christmas, Nick!
  • This is going to happen. No way he walks away from that kind of cash. He has a better cast to work with than any NFL team he can go to with less pressure. He is going to get at least 2 years to rebuild but I see them in a mid level bowl game next year with him as coach.

This is just a matter of time. But to be honest he should be in his 8th year right now because Martin should've hired him after Carr left. But better late than never.
  • Yeah, too much smoke not to be a fire here.  With that being said, I think we've learned enough to not get too excited until he signs on the bottom line.  Anything can happen and let's face it, this guy is a wildcard and marches to a different drum.  Hurry up and wait...some more.
  • A couple of thoughts:
    Would Harbaugh rather go to the train wreck that is the Raiders?
    Would he go to a school in big need of a face-lift?

Money is a non-factor. You don't think the Raiders will counter the offer?
    Michigan gives him the best chance to pile wins up. Not to mention championships.
    If he picks the NFL that's fine. I can't fault a guy who's shoes I've not walked in
  • Money is money and he can get that anywhere.  But to me it becomes one question (one the NFL writers don't seem to think about): does coming home as the prodigal son with a chance to be the next Bo and an instant hero a big enough motivator and more important than the NFL?  The talk about why would he want to go back to college and deal with recruiting or why would he want to deal with a bunch of Prima Donna millionaires in the NFL is all we hear about but there's more to the story and his decision, I would think.  
  • My question is, how much does stability factor in with Harbaugh? He tuned around a train wreck of a franchise in San Fran and has taken them to THREE straight NFC Title games and came within a whisker of winning a Super Bowl! And what that got him? NOTHING! San Fran is ready to move on because he's missed the playoffs for the first time since arriving there? If this isn't the perfect example of the NFL being known as the Not For Long league for head coaches, I don't know what is?! I mean, all he's don in San Fran is win and apparently even that isn't good enough now???

If he comes home to Ann Arbor and wins, not only would that be good enough to buy him stability, they would erect a freaking statue of him outside of the Big House fergodsake!!!
  • Dear Sarah Harbaugh,

Anyone who knows the logic of "happy wife; happy life" realizes that you were probably the primary reason why your husband took a position with the 49ers, concurrent with the last time his alma mater came calling. We don't fault the logic behind his decision to coach in Santa Clara. It is understood that your NoCal roots, and young children's lifestyle were factors in Jim's thinking. The big brass ring was there, and Jim went for it.

Alma mater again comes calling, with brass ring potential. The kids are a bit older. It is time to look at your own place in the landscape. Would you like to be another social-climbing well-to-do housewife, in an NFL city, with the career instability that NFL coaches have, or would you perhaps enjoy being the de facto First Lady of Ann Arbor, which happens to be a lovely place to raise a family?

Jim's decision to "come home" has both professional and personal basis behind it. On the professional side, he's got a highly coveted freshman QB (Mr. Football in Michigan, this year, and he bleeds Maize & Blue), a cupboard that is not bare, and a competitive landscape that implies the ability to succeed sooner, rather than later. We know that you, Sarah, are probably the biggest factor in the personal basis, thus this appeal.

We know that your husband, "Ol' #4," as I like to call him, is the man to return the Little Brown Jug to its' rightful place in Schemechler Hall, cut Little Brother back down to size, and make that school in Ohio start to look over its' shoulder a lot more, and eventually be looking back up at Michigan, like it did, most of the time, when your husband was the Wolverines' QB.

It's simple, really. Everything is set up to give both of your lives a terrific meaning for posterity beyond your immediate circle; college football greatness, and perhaps, a certain kind of immortality, like that enjoyed by the man who coached your husband, Bo Schembechler. All that remains is acceptance, and setting the coronation date. There's glory to be found...but if you would rather have an existence closer to the depiction of "Desperate Housewives," it is understandable...but perhaps not forgivable.

It's up to you, Mrs. H. Please bring Jimmy home.

[image]http://www.calculateme.com/MySpace/background-images/say-yes-to-michigan.gif[/image]

Sincerely,

Grizraz Hearteater

• swoosh wrote:

What Michigan needs most is a change in attitude, talent is not their issue.

Developing talent, yes.
    Undeveloped talent is not talent. It goes way beyond attitude and there's no guarantee that better coaching will fix a broken or undeveloped player (especially an upperclassmen). If you were negligently coached for 2-3 years, you may or may not unlearn what you were taught and internalized. There's only so much a coach can do in an off-season.

We don't have overwhelming talent, developed or otherwise.