UMGOBLUE.COM

Jim Harbaugh Thread

Comments

• Football Scoop (one of the best sources for coaching info) said today that Harbaugh is NOT an option.

Link: [link=http://footballscoop.com/news/michigan-struggling-find-next-head-coach/]http://footballscoop.com/...-find-next-head-coach/[/link]

MGoBlog (and others) are BLASTING the football scoop article.

Go Blue!!
  • Lol @ ZJ........Bradio. that boy ain't right bobby
  • Saw that, Scottsdale. Previously that site has been spot on. Not sure what the ties are to every program in the country, but apparently this one is way off. 
  • It is our understanding from sources at Michigan that there is significant disagreement within the building in Ann Arbor regarding the potential candidacy of Les Miles. Hackett very much considers Les a friend and a candidate he would like to pursue. Others in the department do not believe this is in the best interests of Michigan and fear that Les would publicly acknowledge their interest but ultimately choose to remain at LSU, giving the Michigan search a very public black eye.

He's used Michigan in the past so why would this time be any different...

This is part of the reason why Miles will NEVER be the head coach at Michigan. I said it 4yrs ago and I'll say it again today.

Go Blue!!
    That was always said about Harbaugh as well because of how much he likes/liked to pound alcohol. The story was always that Michigan would never hire Harbaugh because they would never want a repeat of the Gary Moeller incident.

People forget that Carr picked Loeffler over Harbaugh for the QB coaching job back in the day.
  • Listening to the Huge show and they seem to believe it is Harbaugh.

Bacon and the Michigan insider guy said that the donors are giving Hackett the blank check to get it done with Harbaugh.

Go Blue!!
  • I've said it before, and I'll say it again....don't believe the media stories, spin and theories- Jim Harbaugh will be the head football coach of the University of Michigan in 2015.

• Listening to the Huge show and they seem to believe it is Harbaugh.

Bacon and the Michigan insider guy said that the donors are giving Hackett the blank check to get it done with Harbaugh.

Go Blue!!
    Is a blank check enough is the question. As a Coach Only the Great ones get the chance to define what your legacy will be. For Harbaugh he has reached that plateau He can go down as a Winner at Stanford and Keep working to be a Super Bowl Champion coach (which I believe if he stays in the NFL he will do eventually)

Or he can come home to michigan attempt to save us and if he does his name will be forever mentioned in the same breath as Bo. Its his legacy and his alone to choose. Let the Speculations begin.
  • Miles did not use Michigan to get a raise at LSU.  Per Bacon and Three and Out Miles said he would NEVER say no to Michigan.  In 2007 he was in the midst of his national title run and in 2010 Brandon made an insincere discourtesy call. 

IF not Harbaugh then Miles NOW!
  • The 2nd time around Miles most certainly used Michigan. Even before meeting DB Miles said publicly that his agent was making him meet.
  • I just want 4lifes av pic to be real........I'd be very happy with Coach Miles. He'd straightened this cupcake mentality out asap. That's all this team needs, and a few more playmakers of course, but who knows how many rough stones he can polish up on this current team.
  • GFord48 wrote:

Miles did not use Michigan to get a raise at LSU.  Per Bacon and Three and Out Miles said he would NEVER say no to Michigan.  In 2007 he was in the midst of his national title run and in 2010 Brandon made an insincere discourtesy call. 

Incorrect. Miles has routinely leveraged himself going to Michigan for raises.

Go Blue!!
  • What are all of you Harbaugh/Miles and no one else people going to do, when the likely hood is it will be someone else ?
  • GFord48 wrote:

Miles did not use Michigan to get a raise at LSU.  Per Bacon and Three and Out Miles said he would NEVER say no to Michigan.  In 2007 he was in the midst of his national title run and in 2010 Brandon made an insincere discourtesy call. 

Incorrect. Miles has routinely leveraged himself going to Michigan for raises.

Go Blue!!
    lets be fair here he was going to get paid once he won the national title either way.....
    And DB never offered him the job It was more of a slap in his face.

IDK either way 4 years later and the death of his mother maybe he will want to get closer to what family he still has living being born in Ohio. 1 hour drive to visit family vs 8 hour flight.
  • Per rivals article, Gary Patterson has said "thanks, but no thanks"

Not sure how reliable that is, but hey, I just spewing THEIR garbage.
  • oregonblue wrote:

What are all of you Harbaugh/Miles and no one else people going to do, when the likely hood is it will be someone else ?
    Cross that bridge when we come to it......
  • oregonblue wrote:

What are all of you Harbaugh/Miles and no one else people going to do, when the likely hood is it will be someone else ?
    Well if the past is any indication, scream and yell and be disappointed at whoever is named HC, no matter how qualified or talented.

How things seem to be setting themselves up. The lack of contingency planning by Michigan fans is really something. Thankfully Hackett doesn't seem like the type to share that quality.
  • The lack of contingency planning by Michigan fans is really something.
    Particularly when you look at Michigan's last 2 searches.
  • zjgm02 wrote:
    The lack of contingency planning by Michigan fans is really something.
    Particularly when you look at Michigan's last 2 searches.
    Or around the country. Alabama is one of the few cases where I can remember the school landing it's #1 choice (maybe Auburn with Malzahn as well). In most cases its the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice that schools actually end up with.

The highly discussed name rarely actually ends up being the coach. For one thing you never know which coach is or isn't happy at their current school, or who wants to move on. It's the known unknowns that is hard to factor in ( I can't believe I just quoted Don Rumsfeld). No one knew Rich Rod was looking to leave WVU in 08, or that Brett Bielema was unhappy at Arkansas.

We're all hung up on Jim Harbaugh without even considering who else may be out there.
  • Saban at Bama, Petrino at Arkansas and Urban at tOSU are the first-choice coaches who come to mind immediately. Two of them we're having problems in the pros and the other was sitting at home, so definitely the exception not the rule.

Muschamp may have been UF's 1st choice, I don't remember.
  • I thought our old pal Rich Rod was actually offered the Bama job before Saban.
  • andyum wrote:

I thought our old pal Rich Rod was actually offered the Bama job before Saban.
    He was, Saban's hire came out of left field. Alabama threw a hail mary that magically got answered.

Meyer is a bit of special circumstance because he wasn't currently employed at the time Ohio State hired him. He was their top choice by far though. If Harbaugh was currently unemployed I feel A LOT differently about our chances LOL!
  • Lets not forget, though, that the Saban hire took 38 days....and look how it turned out for them.  I just hope the UM nation doesn't get too impatient.
  • I'm 100% for taking our time, letting NFL season wrap up, and then taking a serious shot at Harbaugh.

Im not too concerned with losing recruits because with the right coach, they will be wanting to come back.
  • Word on the A2 street is that Jimmy was offered $8 million to coach and a major program coach has called about the job.
  • But do we as Michigan fans need a contingent plan? We aren't running the search or making the hire. Of course Hackett isn't thinking like fans. He can't. Maybe Harbaugh is his top choice but I'd bet my life he has other names as well. If you watched that press conference Hackett knows what he is doing. He was in total control from the moment he walked in till he walked out. I feel much more confident about this search after listening to him.

So contingent plan? I'll throw out some names- Stoops. Maybe he is perfectly happy at OU but why not give a call? Mullen. Has anyone ever won anything at Missossipi State? Miles. Won NC and is a great recruiter and puts people in the NFL. After that? I bet Shaw from Stanford gets a look but I wouldn't want him. Record keeps getting worse and worse as he has lost Harbaugh kids.

Point being don't get all on fans for only having eyes for Harbaugh. We are allowed to. Hackett won't put all the eggs in one basket.
  • fans don't need a contingent plan.  We're not the ones doing the hiring.  I'm perfectly fine with sitting back and waiting to find out who takes the job.  I'm tired of reading about it already.  Everyday there's a new false report about who we've hired or who's turned the job.

The two biggest dominoes have fallen for me with DB and BH gone. 
  • The problem with fans, former players, and booters not having perspective is what comes after they don't get what they want. The mistake is believing that the environment around a program, team, or coach doesn't have an impact when it does.

The Michigan community having a negative attitude about all coaches not named Jim Harbaugh or Les Miles will make a difference. Particularly if said coach doesn't have a lot of early success. People who already have a negative opinion about a coach have even less patience, spew more venom, and create an even more negative environment that a coach/team then has to deal with.
  • Agreed. But. Just win, baby.

No one wanted Bo when he got hired. But after the first season the critics were silent.
  • Yup, could be named coach mednigigdidolopa if he goes 10-2 11-1 in season it's all hail coach M!