UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Jim Harbaugh Thread

I figure he needs his own coaching thread, so here we go.

NFL sources have confided that the Raiders have contacted the 49ers about a trade for Jim Harbaugh.

Go Blue!!

Comments

• I figure he needs his own coaching thread, so here we go.

NFL sources have confided that the Raiders have contacted the 49ers about a trade for Jim Harbaugh.

Go Blue!!

• Oh no he Dint! Just start a JH thread. Lol
  • The Jets are apparantly in the mix too.

If Michigan thinks it has a chance to get Harbaugh, they'll drag the Hoke firing out for as long as they can..........according to Greg Henson
  • 49ers last game is 12/28. Is that D-Day?

Go Blue!!

• [link=http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11958347/san-francisco-49ers-make-jim-harbaugh-call-season]http://espn.go.com/nfl/st...m-harbaugh-call-season[/link]

No matter how tenuous the San Francisco 49ers' situation currently is, the fate of coach Jim Harbaugh won't be resolved until after this season, according to sources.

If the 49ers can pull off a 4-0 finish to the regular season and make a run in the postseason that some in the organization are still convinced is possible, Harbaugh could land a contract extension, sources said.

He will have one year remaining on his existing deal but has already rebuffed extension offers.

It is no secret that Harbaugh will be a commodity that interests other teams at season's end, like he did last season with the Cleveland Browns -- the 49ers even considered trading Harbaugh to Cleveland.

The Oakland Raiders and New York Jets both are expected to, at the very least, inquire about Harbaugh's availability in a trade, a source said.

One NFL source is convinced the Raiders are the favorite to land Harbaugh, but the Jets also are known to be keeping a close eye on Harbaugh's situation.

Go Blue!!

• I truly believe we wind up with Jim or Les when all is said and done.
  • The worst thing possible that Michigan could do is put all the eggs in one basket. If Michigan has the opportunity to hire a quality coach before the NFL season is finished they damn well better do it.

The success or failure of Michigan football doesn't hinge on one man. Jim Harbaugh is not the only coach capable of winning at Michigan. If he wants to come and the timeline works out great. If Dan Mullen's agent calls Paul Hackett tomorrow, he better be the coach by Wednesday, Harbaugh be damned.

Holding out hope for catching the white whale could not be more desperate or foolish. Now if Harbaugh has communicated to Michigan that he's interested in the job that's one thing. Waiting and passing on other opportunities is stupid otherwise.

• The worst thing possible that Michigan could do is put all the eggs in one basket. If Michigan has the opportunity to hire a quality coach before the NFL season is finished they damn well better do it.

The success or failure of Michigan football doesn't hinge on one man. Jim Harbaugh is not the only coach capable of winning at Michigan. If he wants to come and the timeline works out great. If Dan Mullen's agent calls Paul Hackett tomorrow, he better be the coach by Wednesday, Harbaugh be damned.

Holding out hope for catching the white whale could not be more desperate or foolish. Now if Harbaugh has communicated to Michigan that he's interested in the job that's one waiting. Waiting and passing on other opportunities is stupid otherwise.

Good post.

Question for you...Do you give Harbaugh right of first refusal?

In your scenario, if Mullen calls and says he's interested, do you call Harbaugh and tell him it's his job but he must come now, otherwise, we're going with Mullen?

Go Blue!!

• You have to at least contact Harbaugh and offer him the job. If he says "thnks, but I want to stay in the NFL" I can accept that. I cannot accept, however, if we don't even offer him the job. That would signal to me that Michigan is no longer interested in being a national power.

I want to know we offered him. That would at least tell the fan base that the administration is still committed to be a national power in football.
  • You offer Harbaugh no matter what the circumstances.  Period.  If he wants to play the waiting game or wants to see what's out there at the end of the month (or plays any games at all) we move on. MF4L is right-we've already seen what's happened the past 2 coaching searches as both were completely botched.  To do that again would be a crime.  The problem again is the timing.  Miles is probably the only one who could commit right now so we're in hurry up and wait mode once again.  Regardless, you at least make Harbaugh an offer and a massive one at that and you do it now. 
  • Offering Harnaugh the job right now is asking him to say no. He's not going to leave the 49ers in the middle of the season and he doesn't seem the type to respond to an ultimatum.

I suppose it's worth gauging Harbaugh's interest but even if he responded positively I don't know that I wouldn't take the bird in the hand.
  • But whom is the bird in hand?  This fan base won't be satisfied until they hear Harbaugh say publicly "no thanks Michigan."  I think that's what everyone is waiting for once and for all.  I know I am.
  • when are we allowed to offer?  Are there rules for stuff like that in regards to colleges offering NFL coaches?
  • If there was a mutual interest Miles, Mullen and Schiano could be had right now, but as I posted the other day Harbaugh is the elephant in the room.  There are plenty of other guys out there as well.

If any of the above 3 (or anyone who isn't Harbaugh) is hired and things don't start improving immediately, the Harbaugh talk will start again.

It's a double-edged sword at this point as they need to wait to see what Harbaugh will do, but then they leave themselves open for a public refusal which can be good, but probably more bad.  Good because it shows due diligence and takes JH off the table for the foreseeable future, and bad because it shows the reality of the situation that Michigan is not the be-all-end-all destination many UM fans believe it to be.  A refusal would also show that whoever is hired wasn't the first choice.

I don't think there's any chance Miles would leave LSU for any job other than Michigan (if he'd even do that), so waiting on JH doesn't seem to cause an issue there unless his ego would prohibit him from being publicly known as the second choice to JH.  LSU will probably get into a January bowl, which likely coincides with JH's perceived availability.

Mullen may have multiple suitors and it looks very unlikely like he's headed to the playoff, so waiting here could mean losing him to another program.

Schiano is a very safe and conservative pick.  In other words, right up the alley of what Michigan would seemingly do.  He's been unemployed for almost a year, so waiting a couple weeks wouldn't be an issue, but if they do hire him my first question--and that from many other fans--would likely be what took you so long?  If you were going to hire this unemployed guy who couldn't cut it in the NFL, why not do so during one of your bye weeks and try to salvage some semblance of a season in 2014?  Tough PR sell all the way around.

The more I think about it, the less sense Harbaugh makes.  And maybe it's unfair to get a public denial from him as that could undermine the guy who does take the job.  Also, it's very unlikely people would take a public refusal as truth as it would not be "they offered me the job and I said no because I'm not interested", so he'll always be an elephant in the room until this program starts winning again.

I guess I have talked myself into Hackett back-channeling to see if Harbaugh's interested and pursue only him if he shows strong interest, or you hire someone else over the next week-and-a-half, give that guy your full support and hope he makes everyone forget about Harbaugh.

I'd still take JOHN Harbaugh over all of them.  he's fiery, but not as mercurial as Jim, he knows how to win, apparently loves UM, could have the job maybe his dad always wanted, have plenty of years to build the program into a model, and then retire a legend.
  • I am positive that Harbaugh is signed sealed and delivered.  He is the next coach. 

• I am positive that Harbaugh is signed sealed and delivered.  He is the next coach. 
    Which one?
  • TK23Blue wrote:

But whom is the bird in hand?  This fan base won't be satisfied until they hear Harbaugh say publicly "no thanks Michigan."  I think that's what everyone is waiting for once and for all.  I know I am.
    He said no, 4yr ago. If Jim Harbaugh wanted to be HC of Michigan he could have been. Not only has Jim said no, but his brother publicly said that Jim was "done with Michigan." The lack of no isn't the issue, Michigan fans can't accept no. If we want our 2nd no in as many years all we have to do is offer Jim the job today, he's in no position to say yes, leaving no as the only available answer.

The fanbase has worked itself up into such a frenzy that Harbaugh saying yes is the only acceptable scenario. A no won't satisfy anyone.

• He said no, 4yr ago.
    Depends what story you believe, and how much Jim didn't like Brandon.  There's a rumor Jim was asked to interview for the HC job and he was offended that the job was not offered to him.  There's also the line of thinking that said he had no interest in working for Brandon.  The AD has changed since then and perhaps Jim could now help pick the new AD, also he would presumably be offered the job now, so it's not the same thing.  Also, he's been in the pros 4 seasons now, so it's no longer a mystery.

I don't think he becomes the Michigan coach any time soon, but this is a completely different situation than the last search which is a pretty murky story anyway.
  • I couldn't see any coach wanting to work for Dave "don't mind me I am just gonna sit in on your team's film study sessions" Brandon
  • Take miles now, he's still got few good years left in him, especially changing to a new venue, like Michigan.......let Jim play a few more years in nfl and hope he earns his fill. Then he can come in after les gets us back on track. Boom!
  • I do believe it is time for The Everly Brothers and "Dream, Dream,Dream".
  • Ravens lost yesterday to fall two loses behind the Bengals, so John may be available on 12/29 as well.
  • Is it funny the timing on these things? After the Michigan football season.
    Harbaugh will not tip his hat and he shouldn't unless he wants to be fired right now.
  • Harbaugh has virtually unlimited back channels to UM, If he's going to be our next coach the powers that be already know it. Like wise if he has no interest they know that as well. The Harbaugh decision is already made, it's just not publicly known.

I'm on record as saying Harbaugh will not be coaching at UM next year & I still believe that 100%. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it, he's in the NFL for reason & he still has unfinished business in the league. His brother has a Super Bowl ring as a Head Coach & he doesn't. I'm sure that doesn't sit well at all for a guy as competitive as Jim.

• As painful as it is I'm going to have to agree with Jabes.  Not so much the 'I have a Super Bowl ring and you don't' stuff because who really knows how he feels about that but the rest? Yep, agree.
  • It is our understanding from sources at Michigan that there is significant disagreement within the building in Ann Arbor regarding the potential candidacy of Les Miles. Hackett very much considers Les a friend and a candidate he would like to pursue. Others in the department do not believe this is in the best interests of Michigan and fear that Les would publicly acknowledge their interest but ultimately choose to remain at LSU, giving the Michigan search a very public black eye.

He's used Michigan in the past so why would this time be any different...

This is part of the reason why Miles will NEVER be the head coach at Michigan. I said it 4yrs ago and I'll say it again today.

Go Blue!!
  • It is our understanding from sources at Michigan that there is significant disagreement within the building in Ann Arbor regarding the potential candidacy of Les Miles. Hackett very much considers Les a friend and a candidate he would like to pursue. Others in the department do not believe this is in the best interests of Michigan and fear that Les would publicly acknowledge their interest but ultimately choose to remain at LSU, giving the Michigan search a very public black eye.

He's used Michigan in the past so why would this time be any different...

This is part of the reason why Miles will NEVER be the head coach at Michigan. I said it 4yrs ago and I'll say it again today.

Go Blue!!
    Could be, SD, but those 'others' are probably the main reason that BRadio was hired and that didn't work out too well.

Make an offer to Miles as public as possible, maybe leak that the AD's requested permission to talk to him/his agent, and force him to say yes or no.  Either way, it removes conjecture on Miles.  If he says no, the AD can still take a run at Dan Mullen who likely doesn't have the luxury of demanding that he was first choice, or Greg Schiano who's still twiddling his thumbs at home, or a top Coordinator who'd feel lucky to be offered the HC job.

This all of course assumes that Harbaugh(s) is off the table.
  • Multiple sources we spoke with feel Michigan will ultimately wind up going “outside the family” for their next head coach.
    Please let this be true.  We need to get over that only someone with Michigan ties can lead this program.