Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Q&A: Michigan's John Beilein

[quote]John Beilein is a coach's coach. The veteran has had success everywhere he's been during his storied career and led [link=http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/teams/page/MICH/michigan-wolverines]Michigan[/link] to four consecutive [link=http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament]NCAA Tournament[/link]s including a 2013 national-title game appearance. CBS Sports Network and CBSSports.com's Jon Rothstein sat down with Beilein to discuss the Wolverines' success, Derrick Walton, and what the coach knows now about life in Ann Arbor that he didn't when he first took the job.[/quote]

[link=http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24769042/qa-michigans-john-beilein-talks-success-emerging-derrick-walton]http://www.cbssports.com/...merging-derrick-walton[/link]

Comments

• John Beilein is a coach's coach. The veteran has had success everywhere he's been during his storied career and led [link=http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/teams/page/MICH/michigan-wolverines]Michigan[/link] to four consecutive [link=http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament]NCAA Tournament[/link]s including a 2013 national-title game appearance. CBS Sports Network and CBSSports.com's Jon Rothstein sat down with Beilein to discuss the Wolverines' success, Derrick Walton, and what the coach knows now about life in Ann Arbor that he didn't when he first took the job.

[link=http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24769042/qa-michigans-john-beilein-talks-success-emerging-derrick-walton]http://www.cbssports.com/...merging-derrick-walton[/link]
  • Freaking love that guy. Hope he's here another 10 years or longer.
  • "We stick to the plan of having player development as a major part of every practice. We certainly prepare for each opponent and want to know their tendencies as best we can, but all that doesn't work if you can't shoot or dribble and do those things effectively on a regular basis. We want to be known as a team, but we also want to make sure we take the time daily to work on what our players need to improve on. You're always trying to make sure you focus on the skill element of things and that's what we make sure to do with our guys on a daily basis."

Go Blue!!
  • Another take away I have is I'm not sure Irving is developing as quickly as some other Frosh to Soph's have in the past....sound like Walton and Caris had great summers....but Irving may be another year away from a breakout season.

Go Blue!!

• Another take away I have is I'm not sure Irving is developing as quickly as some other Frosh to Soph's have in the past....sound like Walton and Caris had great summers....but Irving may be another year away from a breakout season.

Go Blue!!

Watching Irving last night, he's going to breakout this year, he'll be gone next year.

• swoosh wrote:

Another take away I have is I'm not sure Irving is developing as quickly as some other Frosh to Soph's have in the past....sound like Walton and Caris had great summers....but Irving may be another year away from a breakout season.

Go Blue!!

Watching Irving last night, he's going to breakout this year, he'll be gone next year.

I said something similar to this awhile back. I really think Irvin is the one to watch- if his defense improves from last year, and he progresses offensively ala Nik, he won't be around in a year.
  • johnny3435 wrote:
    swoosh wrote:

Another take away I have is I'm not sure Irving is developing as quickly as some other Frosh to Soph's have in the past....sound like Walton and Caris had great summers....but Irving may be another year away from a breakout season.

Go Blue!!

I said something similar to this awhile back. I really think Irvin is the one to watch- if his defense improves from last year, and he progresses offensively ala Nik, he won't be around in a year.

I doubt will see Chatmen passed his Soph year also, he's going to be better than GRIII at the 4 spot.   He's an upgrade and being a lefty helps:)
  • swoosh wrote:
    johnny3435 wrote:
    swoosh wrote:

Go Blue!!

I doubt will see Chatmen passed his Soph year also, he's going to be better than GRIII at the 4 spot.   He's an upgrade and being a lefty helps:)

I haven't seen him play, but a lot of people are agreeing with you. How'd he look last night? Specifically, how aggressive does he play? GRIII was a fantastic athlete, but I never liked that he seemed to only play hard when he wanted/needed to. And you're spot on with the lefty comment- can't wait to watch him this year, too.
  • johnny3435 wrote:
    swoosh wrote:
    johnny3435 wrote:
    swoosh wrote:

Go Blue!!

I haven't seen him play, but a lot of people are agreeing with you. How'd he look last night? Specifically, how aggressive does he play? GRIII was a fantastic athlete, but I never liked that he seemed to only play hard when he wanted/needed to. And you're spot on with the lefty comment- can't wait to watch him this year, too.

He's an aggressive player, he's not afraid to pull the trigger on his shot.  He's got some hops and is a slasher type player when he takes it to the rim.   He's a pretty good passer for a freshman also, he had 4 assists last night.

• I am pretty optimistic with how this squad has looked from what I have seen so far............. But, I have to play Debbie Downer here a bit. All the highlights I have seen have been of us playing scrubs over in Italy as well as an obviously over matched Wayne State team. This team will take a step back in terms of overall wins......... When we get into the nuts and bolts of the schedule there will be growing pains. I have no doubt in my mind this team will be entertaining to watch, but there will also be times that will be just as painful.

Best case scenario with this team in my opinion is 3rd place in the B10, worst case........ 5th or 6th. We will be a tourney team no doubt, and when tourney time comes I believe John B will have us playing at a level where we can compete against anybody.

Debbie Downer aside, it is extremely refreshing to have complete faith in our coaching staff......... Barring any catastrophic injuries, it is pretty clear that John B will have this team playing hard, competing, and PROGRESSING throughout the year. Whatever happens during the regular season happens. The most important thing is that we are hitting our stride come tourney time. John B will have us there. Book it.

GO BLUE!!!!
  • everybody is playing scrubs right now........so I agree, we won't really know anything about any team for another month or so.
  • They will lose to some teams  early that they should not, but towards the end of the season they will beat some teams we did not think they could.

In wins and loses this team will take a step back this year, but I still think they make the dance and make a pretty good run.

They will not win the Big Ten regular season, but I think they may shock a few folks in the big ten tourney.  They will do two things better than last years team, play defense and rebound.
  • JKHGoBlue wrote:

I am pretty optimistic with how this squad has looked from what I have seen so far............. But, I have to play Debbie Downer here a bit. All the highlights I have seen have been of us playing scrubs over in Italy as well as an obviously over matched Wayne State team. This team will take a step back in terms of overall wins......... When we get into the nuts and bolts of the schedule there will be growing pains. I have no doubt in my mind this team will be entertaining to watch, but there will also be times that will be just as painful.

Best case scenario with this team in my opinion is 3rd place in the B10, worst case........ 5th or 6th. We will be a tourney team no doubt, and when tourney time comes I believe John B will have us playing at a level where we can compete against anybody.

Debbie Downer aside, it is extremely refreshing to have complete faith in our coaching staff......... Barring any catastrophic injuries, it is pretty clear that John B will have this team playing hard, competing, and PROGRESSING throughout the year. Whatever happens during the regular season happens. The most important thing is that we are hitting our stride come tourney time. John B will have us there. Book it.

GO BLUE!!!!
    I don't see it as a debbie downer perspective. It's not unrealistic to expect a drop off from the last few seasons. We've lost a lot of good players and several cases don't have replacements lined up to take their place. It would not surprise if Michigan finished outside the top 3 in the conference, and it wouldn't be a disappointment IMO.

We have a lot of questions to figure out.
  • The key for this team is to make it to the tourney that's all. They are extremely young and frankly they will have some tough stretches. I haven't seen enough of Irvin to see if he is the player everyone is clamoring about but unless he has some freakish year I don't see him leaving early. He needs to develop offense off the dribble at his size. But a middle of the road finish in the B10 (5 or better) gets you in as a 5-8 seed and if they can win two games mission accomplished
  • Zak seems more on the THJ trajectory (won't take the leap until next year). He's still not aggressive enough on offense, but has a lot of energy on the defensive side of the ball. I think both Derrick and Caris will be special this year. They just have so much confidence... Chatman has a long way to go IMHO. He still looks a lot like Caris as a Freshman (on offense), so there is hope that he can turn it on by the end of the year. 

The biggest concern early is definitely the play inside. Like Beilein mentioned, though, we were able to make it happen with Novak. This team will still be dangerous as always though because of their shooting. If Moose is for real (finally) and one of the freshman is able to handle B1G play... look out Wisconsin.
  • aMAIZEing wrote:

Zak seems more on the THJ trajectory (won't take the leap until next year). He's still not aggressive enough on offense, but has a lot of energy on the defensive side of the ball. I think both Derrick and Caris will be special this year. They just have so much confidence... Chatman has a long way to go IMHO. He still looks a lot like Caris as a Freshman (on offense), so there is hope that he can turn it on by the end of the year. 

The biggest concern early is definitely the play inside. Like Beilein mentioned, though, we were able to make it happen with Novak. This team will still be dangerous as always though because of their shooting. If Moose is for real (finally) and one of the freshman is able to handle B1G play... look out Wisconsin.
    "Make it" is relative LOL! It led to situations like Novak on Blake Griffin in the post, and middle of the pack Big 10 finishes.

We've always been behind the sticks only having a one big in the lineup. Even when that one big was a good defender like Morford/McGary we struggled big time on the glass as a team. That one big is now Donnel/Doyle/Bielfeldt and we retain the issue of not having a second big. Irvin is playing the 4 in most cases and that spells trouble defensively and on the glass.

Belien has never cared, and relied on punishing the opposing team on the offensive side from that position. If Irvin can force the other team to go small it works out, if not, we're at a disadvantage.