Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

"Michigan Man" - This is a MUST READ!

Maybe the writer is really onto something.
[link=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2217927-brady-hoke-a-symptom-of-much-bigger-problem-at-michigan]http://bleacherreport.com...er-problem-at-michigan[/link]
Your thoughts?

Comments

• It's a muddle of nonsense, sense, facts, half-truths and conjecture.  Not even worth going through as closely as I did, but what the hell else do I have to do on another average Sunday following a Michigan loss?

Greg Couch wrote:
    When it comes to Michigan football, the administrators, fans and even the media are serving self-interests by seriously piling on to failed coach [link=http://bleacherreport.com/brady-hoke]Brady Hoke[/link]. He is the world's easiest scapegoat.
    True, but that wouldn't be possible if Hoke was doing even a passable job as HC

Greg Couch wrote:
    Michigan wanted a neanderthal when it hired Hoke. That was the point. That was the problem. Michigan is stuck in the past, in Bo Schembechler's time. It doesn't know how to move forward. In fact, it doesn't even want to. And that mentality has buried Michigan football.
    The AD and large benefactors perhaps, but many were extremely underwhelmed by the Hoke hire and saw it for the what it was--settling for at best their third choice.

Greg Couch wrote:
    When Michigan looks for a new coach next year, it needs to open up the model. Forget the Michigan Man or let him evolve.  Realize that most high school star players around the country have no interest in what Michigan stands for or who played there. They care only about playing in the NFL. Michigan hasn't been getting players there lately.
    Not untrue, but it's a mischaracterization of the problem as Hoke et al. aren't having any trouble recruiting players.

Greg Couch wrote:
    Michigan tried to move the right way when it hired [link=http://bleacherreport.com/rich-rodriguez]Rich Rodriguez[/link]. He wasn't the Michigan Man but instead the "Modern Man."
    Michigan wasn't ready for his newfangled hurry-up spread offense and rejected him from the minute he arrived.
    I think it would be more accurate to say that Michigan wasn't ready to get run over by almost every opponent's offense and blown off the field by Sparty and tOSU every year.
  • ZJ nicely dissected, fergodsake!
  • All Couch does is incite my worst instincts and want to double down on the Michigan Man Neandeerthal image.  It took me two paragraphs to decide I cannot stand Couch and I found myself actually wanting to defend Hoke. 

I will possibly concede that Couch might be on to a few things. 

I do wonder of Fritz Crisler invented the platoon system today if he would be labeled a traitor to Michigan Tradition and renounced as a Michigan Man.  At some point even Bo went fro throwing five times a game to 20 per game.  Yes football evolves.
  •  Hoke might be getting a contract with the CLAPPER. CLAP ON clap clap CLAP OFF clap clap CLAP ON CALP OFF the CLAPPER

[tube]
  • Has anybody thought that, if Bo were alive today, he might be running the spread himself?  Anybody remember when he ran the option (one R. Leach comes to mind)?  If not, he surely would have tried and probably succeeded in finding a defense against it that worked.  The article misses the point when it defines the "Michigan Man" one way (actually the right way) and derides it on the basis of other supposed attributes.  People forget that from the Mad Magicians forward, the history of Michigan football showed quite a bit of innovation and adaptation to the times.
    No one wants to be a dinosaur, and it's ultimately embarrassing to think that we won't be able to find someone with Michigan's traditional values who knows how to THINK and INNOVATE.  If we can't, we deserve what we get, whether it's a complete non-fit like RR or a well-meaning but clueless  "good guy" who has, with plenty of self-help, been turned into a cartoon.
    One thing for sure- we need to be less corporate and give the fans a break, which I'm not sure can be done under the current AD.  I agree with Bacon that the college game experience should not turn into a caricature of the pro experience.  And, give the guy his press pass back, will you, Dave?
  • MMBeuph wrote:

Has anybody thought that, if Bo were alive today, he might be running the spread himself?  Anybody remember when he ran the option (one R. Leach comes to mind)?  If not, he surely would have tried and probably succeeded in finding a defense against it that worked.  The article misses the point when it defines the "Michigan Man" one way (actually the right way) and derides it on the basis of other supposed attributes.  People forget that from the Mad Magicians forward, the history of Michigan football showed quite a bit of innovation and adaptation to the times.
    No one wants to be a dinosaur, and it's ultimately embarrassing to think that we won't be able to find someone with Michigan's traditional values who knows how to THINK and INNOVATE.  If we can't, we deserve what we get, whether it's a complete non-fit like RR or a well-meaning but clueless  "good guy" who has, with plenty of self-help, been turned into a cartoon.
    One thing for sure- we need to be less corporate and give the fans a break, which I'm not sure can be done under the current AD.  I agree with Bacon that the college game experience should not turn into a caricature of the pro experience.  And, give the guy his press pass back, will you, Dave?
    I think Bo could have been successful in today's game.  He did 2 things that nobody seems to do anymore-always had a good defense and taught blocking and tackling.  He took a lot of heat for his offenses and he was stubborn as hell but winning in the trenches was his whole life.  Funny how that is still where the games get decided today.
  • That's pretty much what Hoke preaches too, just can't execute it. I'd be OK with that style of play if we could just go out and actually do it!
  • TK23Blue wrote:
    MMBeuph wrote:

Has anybody thought that, if Bo were alive today, he might be running the spread himself?  Anybody remember when he ran the option (one R. Leach comes to mind)?  If not, he surely would have tried and probably succeeded in finding a defense against it that worked.  The article misses the point when it defines the "Michigan Man" one way (actually the right way) and derides it on the basis of other supposed attributes.  People forget that from the Mad Magicians forward, the history of Michigan football showed quite a bit of innovation and adaptation to the times.
    I think Bo could have been successful in today's game.  He did 2 things that nobody seems to do anymore-always had a good defense and taught blocking and tackling.  He took a lot of heat for his offenses and he was stubborn as hell but winning in the trenches was his whole life.  Funny how that is still where the games get decided today.

TK - Totally agree.  Imho, tackling is not nearly as good as it was in Bo's time and probably the same could be said for blocking.

Yes, Bo would have found a way to WIN today.