UMGOBLUE.COM

Ok, I see ya Lions!!!!!

With the abysmal play of our beloved UM football team, I am officially boosting the Lions up to my #1 priority for football teams to watch. As much as I love the college game better, and as many times as the Lions have broken my heart in my 33 years of existence....... They aren't playing all that bad...... Just beat Green Bay 19-7 to go to 2-1 on the season. I know its early, and the Lions have a history of collapsing late in the year.........but what do you guys see playing out for the Lions the rest of the season???? Playoffs?????

Go Lions!!!!!!

P.s........ It feels refreshing to post something positive for once. Haven't done that since the UM hoopsters were still playing last March!

Comments

• With the abysmal play of our beloved UM football team, I am officially boosting the Lions up to my #1 priority for football teams to watch. As much as I love the college game better, and as many times as the Lions have broken my heart in my 33 years of existence....... They aren't playing all that bad...... Just beat Green Bay 19-7 to go to 2-1 on the season. I know its early, and the Lions have a history of collapsing late in the year.........but what do you guys see playing out for the Lions the rest of the season???? Playoffs?????

Go Lions!!!!!!

P.s........ It feels refreshing to post something positive for once. Haven't done that since the UM hoopsters were still playing last March!
  • Honestly I'm on the edge of saying we win the Division.. But this is the Lions... We could start 7-1 and lose the rest. So I'll save all optimism until November. We did look good today though.
  • I know this is a Lions thread.....but to hell with it, my Cards are undefeated!!!! Glad they decide to step it up when the Wolverines are down.
  • The defense was the biggest surprise. Holding down Aaron Rodgers and the weapons they have was very impressive. Losing Tulloch for an extended period will hurt but the secondary actually looked competent.

As for Stafford and the offense........
  • Oh boy.  I really hate seeing guys getting sucked in so early AGAIN.  This is the Lions we're talking about so remember: one playoff win in 50 years.  Now repeat it back to yourself.  
  • Sorry, when I looked at the schedule I said a 7-9 season and I still see that.  Until they can win games on the road that they should win, ie: against the Jets this weekend, they'll still be also-rans.  Loved the defense this weekend but Staff is still Staff, trying his best to give the game away with 3 turnovers.

• The defense was the biggest surprise. Holding down Aaron Rodgers and the weapons they have was very impressive. Losing Tulloch for an extended period will hurt but the secondary actually looked competent.

As for Stafford and the offense........

Tulloch out for the season with a torn ACL. Lesson here...Don't make fun of Aaron Rodgers...

Go Lions!!

• My wife asked me yesterday "why have you been watching so much NFL this season" my response was the only one it could be "because the Wolverines are terrible and they are sucking the joy of college football right out of me"

• What the hell happened to our offense?

D is playing well, but the O has disappeared and the kicking game is patheric. Henery was cut yesterday, rightfully so and they need to bring in Prater. He would be great in the done.

Go Lions!!
  • Never thought this would happen.  Our D leads the league and our O totally sucks.  What an upside down year it's been across the board in Detroit.  All of our teams suck.  And I totally agree-Prater is the biggest no-brainer on the planet.  He's a booze hound but as long as he's not hungover on Sunday I say grab him and fast.
  • Joe Lombardi is overrated as an OC. Granted Megatron is hobbled but even with that the offense has regressed in every facet, pass pro, running game, passing game. We don't see the easy passing plays that get earn a quick 5yds. The TEs have been non-existant including first round pick Eric Ebron who was suppose to be our Jimmy Graham.

I never thought I`d miss Scott Linehan but I do.

btw, Teryl Austin is a miracle worker. We have a top 5 defense with a worse group than we had last year.

• Joe Lombardi is overrated as an OC. Granted Megatron is hobbled but even with that the offense has regressed in every facet, pass pro, running game, passing game. We don't see the easy passing plays that get earn a quick 5yds. The TEs have been non-existant including first round pick Eric Ebron who was suppose to be our Jimmy Graham.

I never thought I`d miss Scott Linehan but I do.

btw, Teryl Austin is a miracle worker. We have a top 5 defense with a worse group than we had last year.

This.  The O line was actually good the past few years and you're absolutely right, the easy yards are completely gone from this offense.  But it's just SOOO the Lions.  They can never put all the pieces together at the same time, like, after having 2 of the greatest kickers in history we now can't make a single FG from anywhere on the field.  WTF??  Or the point-a-minute teams of Scott Mitchell-Barry Sanders-Herman Moore with a defense that gave up points every HALF minute.  I would take Linehan in a heart beat right now. 
  • The offensive line which played well last year has not played the same this year partly due to injuries. However they need to do something with the interior line play. Stafford is getting hit way too many times. His accuracy again is the problem due to the line play and himself. The reason Johnson got hurt was that on a 7 yard pass to him was thrown at his knees that put him in a bad position when he was hit. Picking up Prator should be the answer for the kicking.
  • umgoblue14 wrote:

The offensive line which played well last year has not played the same this year partly due to injuries. However they need to do something with the interior line play. Stafford is getting hit way too many times. His accuracy again is the problem due to the line play and himself. The reason Johnson got hurt was that on a 7 yard pass to him was thrown at his knees that put him in a bad position when he was hit. Picking up Prator should be the answer for the kicking.
    Waddle has been the only line starter from a year a go that has been hurt I believe, and we've had issues with protection from all over. Part of the problem is Lombardi IMO, the ball is coming out quickly. He seems to favor calling plays that take a long time to develop as opposed to last year where there were A LOT more quick hitting plays and screens.

Maybe the playcalling from last year masked the line's true colors, who knows.
  • They also lost Hillard for the season due to an injury who either backed up Waddle or shared the position with him. They were using rookies for Waddles until he came back.
    Agree though that the problems with the line are all over.
  • Lions bring in Matt Prater, Jay Feely and Connor Barth for a tryout.

Go Lions!!

• "It's a terrible gesture. Just being a spectator, that's not the first time that he's done some things like that," Tate said Tuesday on 105.1 FM in Detroit. "One thing that I heard, I don't know how true it is, I heard that it was planned.

"Like do this if we win. That's a total douche move."

"I thought it was so disrespectful. So disrespectful. I didn't like it at all," Tate said on 105.1. "If I knew I wasn't going to get fined, I would have snatched him right down off their shoulders and threw him on the ground, personally. But obviously I couldn't do that.

"But if that's what they feel was the right thing to do, then so be it. But I just thought it was a bit disrespectful to come on someone's home field because you have a past with them and kind of do that. So it is what it is and hopefully he feels better for doing it."

While I agree with what Tate says, if you don't want the opposing coach carried off the field in your home stadium, WIN THE DAMN GAME!

Go Lions!!
  • "It's a terrible gesture. Just being a spectator, that's not the first time that he's done some things like that," Tate said Tuesday on 105.1 FM in Detroit. "One thing that I heard, I don't know how true it is, I heard that it was planned.

"Like do this if we win. That's a total douche move."

"I thought it was so disrespectful. So disrespectful. I didn't like it at all," Tate said on 105.1. "If I knew I wasn't going to get fined, I would have snatched him right down off their shoulders and threw him on the ground, personally. But obviously I couldn't do that.

"But if that's what they feel was the right thing to do, then so be it. But I just thought it was a bit disrespectful to come on someone's home field because you have a past with them and kind of do that. So it is what it is and hopefully he feels better for doing it."

While I agree with what Tate says, if you don't want the opposing coach carried off the field in your home stadium, WIN THE DAMN GAME!

Go Lions!!
    Whole 'lotta truths here.  Yes, it's a douche move because he's a douche bag.  He didn't like it when Harbaugh was all excited winning that game and now he does the same.  And yes, if you don't want the coach carried off, WIN THE DAMN GAME.  Frankly, the Lions deserved it. 
  • Wow, the Lions actually came back to win a game instead of disintegrating per usual.  The offense is still atrocious (missing Scott Linehan apparently) but the D held up.  (Not sure the last time a DB won a game for the Lions but I'm going to guess it was in the Lem Barney/Dick LeBeau days.)  But alas, we've all seen this movie before.  This one is action-packed with a few more interesting "actors" but I'm sure the plot twist will be the same: start 6-2 then finish 2-6 and out of the playoffs.  ;)
  • Or it could have been in the Yale Lary/ Night Train Lane days! I actually gave up on them after the interception and the field goal that put them down 23-10. After Tate scored the long TD I watched the rest in amazement. I am also cautious in my expectations since they have disappointed me in so many ways. Hopefully when Johnson gets back they will stretch the field more, I am really tired at seeing so many short yard passes. After playing so well last year the OL has regressed, but they are in first place so who am I to complain.
  • Jeez, no sh**.  Basically missing our entire offense but they pulled it out.  Hats off to Atlanta for handing that one over.  By some miracle we're 6-2 at the break and should have some key guys back in 2 weeks.
  • This season feels eerily like the 2011 season where the Lions continued to pull wins out of their ass, beating absolutely no one alomg the way to a playoff berth (though the Lions do have a quality win against GB).

At this point, considering the injuries I'll take it!!! Hopefully the kitty cats won't need luck when guys like Bush and Calvin return.

Golden Tate has been the signing of the year.
  • I'm wondering now if the Lions-Patriots game in a few weeks will get moved to Sunday night as part of the dynamic scheduling the NFL adopted a few years ago.
  • I'm just happy to see them fighting despite the glaring injuries on offense and in the secondary. This team is made out of duct tape, but somehow manages to pull out wins. Should be interesting if we start getting some guys back. 

• This season feels eerily like the 2011 season where the Lions continued to pull wins out of their ass, beating absolutely no one alomg the way to a playoff berth (though the Lions do have a quality win against GB).

At this point, considering the injuries I'll take it!!! Hopefully the kitty cats won't need luck when guys like Bush and Calvin return.

Yep, seen this movie before.  Although it does seem a little different as the defense is playing good.  But anybody who has ever been a fan for any period of time is just waiting for the shoe to drop.  They still can't win a meaningful game on the road and eventually we still have to go to Arizona, New England, and then Chicago and Green Bay on back-to-back weeks in December.  That's probably 4 guaranteed losses.
  • TK23Blue wrote:

This season feels eerily like the 2011 season where the Lions continued to pull wins out of their ass, beating absolutely no one alomg the way to a playoff berth (though the Lions do have a quality win against GB).

Yep, seen this movie before.  Although it does seem a little different as the defense is playing good.  But anybody who has ever been a fan for any period of time is just waiting for the shoe to drop.  They still can't win a meaningful game on the road and eventually we still have to go to Arizona, New England, and then Chicago and Green Bay on back-to-back weeks in December.  That's probably 4 guaranteed losses.
    As a Lions fan I am cautiously optimistic, but there is something different about this team. It's less schizophrenic, and actually feels like they have an identity, without all the internal drama. I'm liking Jim Caldwell. Hopefully he keeps this team from going through it's typical, almost predictable downfall in the second half of the season. 
  • madlucky1 wrote:
    TK23Blue wrote:

This season feels eerily like the 2011 season where the Lions continued to pull wins out of their ass, beating absolutely no one alomg the way to a playoff berth (though the Lions do have a quality win against GB).

As a Lions fan I am cautiously optimistic, but there is something different about this team. It's less schizophrenic, and actually feels like they have an identity, without all the internal drama. I'm liking Jim Caldwell. Hopefully he keeps this team from going through it's typical, almost predictable downfall in the second half of the season. 

Ha ha.  That's perfect!  The ridiculous mistakes at the absolutely worst time don't seem to be happening as much BUT....they gotta show us something in November and December.