UMGOBLUE.COM

Chris Clark (2015 TE, Avon (CT) Avon Old Farms) (Pitt commit)

Comments

• It has/had nothing to do with the game.
  • You really think a recruit changed their mind based on our backup's play in one game? Get real.

• You really think a recruit changed their mind based on our backup's play in one game? Get real.

Ease up homie. It was meant in jest. None of us know why he was "excited" to watch the game, then after he decides he wants to take visits.
  • I’ve gotten a lot of messages asking if a tweet from Chris Clark about him being unhappy about “being thrown under the bus by a reporter” was about me.  I assume that it was since on the heels of my tweet and blog this morning about him possibly taking visits he texted me expressing his displeasure. 

Chris and I have exchanged a number of messages since then and cleared the air privately, but I feel it necessary to lay things out here to assuage any public concerns. I’m going speak on this one time for the sole purpose of preventing this from getting bigger than it is.

For a little background, Saturday afternoon Chris published a tweet in which he said he was going to take two official visits.  A little while later he deleted said tweet, but by that time it had gone viral and was pretty common knowledge in Michigan recruiting circles. Naturally I received a slew of questions about it in the days to follow and was bombarded with them while I was on the radio this morning.  So instead of speaking on it out of turn I reached out to Chris directly via text.

Below is a verbatim account of our text exchange.  I tweeted this at him so he can verify…

[ul][*]Sam Webb: “I’m doing my radio show currently, and guess who folks keep calling in asking about? Lol! I don’t want to misrepresent your position, so thought it better to ask you directly.  Fans wondering if you do indeed plan on taking visits and if you’re still considering North Carolina. Any truth to either of those? [/ul]  
    [ul][*]Chris Clark: “What’s up Sam. As of right now I’m not entirely sure what I’m doing. It’s definitely a possibility.” [/ul]  

Afterward I made reference to his response on the radio, posted a tweet about him possibly taking visits, and posted his above response word-for-word and my thoughts on what they meant in a blog. There was never any reason to believe that was an off-the-record correspondence. The question made it clear that I was looking to put the answer out for public consumption, and he never said for not to.  

Later I asked a follow-up question about whether he had addressed any of this with the Michigan coaching staff yet, and he said he hadn’t up to that point. I included that in the blog as well.

About 30 minutes later he sent me a message expressing his displeasure with me tweeting the info and was upset that a Michigan coach had questioned him about the message I’d posted.  I was surprised that he felt thrown under the bus. I assured him that I never would have said anything had I known that he didn’t want me to.  I’ve sat on commitments and lost scoops to maintain confidences, so I definitely would have sat on this for Chris. My word has is more important.

Again, after exchanging a few messages about the whole ordeal this morning/afternoon we’ve cleared the air. As you can imagine this is a stressful time for Chris… he is trying to figure out with absolute certainty what he wants to do next.  I told him that if what I reported today made that process tougher in any way that I apologized.  But in no way did I try to mislead or burn him.

He understood that and sent me the following message…

[ul][*]Chris Clark: Yeah I’m sorry man. I’m just stressed out. Didn’t mean (to) react the way I did. [/ul]

I hope that clears things up for everyone.  I also hope it stops folks from hammering the kid while he figures things out.

Follow me on twitter [link=http://twitter.com/#!/SamWebb77]@SamWebb77[/link]

• It's a shame for this young man, and all recruits, that this goes on.  The harsh reality though, is that many of the young student athletes have turned this whole process into a circus, basking in the glow of their celebrity. It also doesn't help that the schools put so much pressure on these kids to commit.  The bottom line is that these kids don't have to commit until February.  It would make it easier on these kids if they waited until then if unsure.  I realize this creates more pressure from the schools, but at least these kids don't look so crazy flipping commitments.  Hope he figures it out for himself
  • LBC-blue wrote:

You really think a recruit changed their mind based on our backup's play in one game? Get real.

Ease up homie. It was meant in jest. None of us know why he was "excited" to watch the game, then after he decides he wants to take visits.

It wasn't after the game; it's always been a risk with this recruit. Michigan knew when they took his commitment he was always going to be one they had to recruit to the bell and would always have wandering eyes. Some recruits are just naturally like that. He committed to UNC on an impulse and was once considered a heavy lean to Georgia, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Michigan State before he finally surprised many by committing to Michigan. The good news is he plans on enrolling early, so this roller coaster will end a couple months earlier than usual. Michigan has/will talk with him about visits, and, once again (this isn't directed specifically at you, LBC), he is NOT automatically dropped as a recruit if he visits elsewhere. Can't tell you how maddening it is to see Michigan fans continually misinterpret Hoke's fabled "Policy" every single year whenever the issue of a commit taking visits comes up. Pharaoh Brown visited Oregon without telling Michigan's coaches about it, so they dropped him (Carr did a similar thing with Marquis Maze). David Dawson flirted with other schools endlessly for months, and Michigan warned him repeatedly about it, and then "dropped" him once he finally pushed them too far. In Dawson's situation it was the case of a young man losing his way because of the tragic loss of his father, and after visiting Florida he realized he made a mistake, had a heart to heart with Hoke, and ended up where he wanted to be all along - Michigan.

If Clark lies to the coaches and says he's not going to take visits elsewhere and then does, they'll drop him and likely not recruit him further, just as many coaches do when recruits lie to them. But there's no reason to believe that's going to happen. If Clark takes visits, it will almost certainly be after making his intentions perfectly clear. It won't mean Michigan will "move on" or drop him entirely; it just means that Michigan will do exactly as Clark is doing (if he takes visits): looking around to see what else is out there and covering their bases. Clark is an elite recruit and is at worst the 2nd-best TE recruit in the country; Michigan isn't going to find a better replacement. If he's upfront and honest with them, they'll continue to recruit him and will take him if in the end he decides Michigan is where he wants to be (and at the moment there is nothing suggesting otherwise). If he's upfront and honest and in the end decides he likes another place better, Michigan won't be caught offguard and will have established lines of communication with other TE recruits.
  • He gone.

Kid falls in love with every school he has contact with. If/when he takes visit it's only a matter of time before he's no longer a member of the class, never to be seen again IMO.

Once a kid falls out of love they almost never rejoin a class.

You really have no clue how the internet works, do you..........
  • I don't pretend to be an expert on recruiting. There are some experts here. I post here as a fan and nothing else. I don't know any of these recruits personally. Some people here are a little too serious about what other people post here. We are fans of a GAME. Have some fun with it.
  • LBC-blue wrote:

I don't pretend to be an expert on recruiting. There are some experts here. I post here as a fan and nothing else. I don't know any of these recruits personally. Some people here are a little too serious about what other people post here. We are fans of a GAME. Have some fun with it.

No worries. None of us are allowed to say anything according to swoosh because we haven't doned the Michigan uniform...haha

Go Blue!!

• also, we all know all recruits we lose are because of the things we post in this forum that said recruits read.
  • LBC-blue wrote:

I don't pretend to be an expert on recruiting. There are some experts here. I post here as a fan and nothing else. I don't know any of these recruits personally. Some people here are a little too serious about what other people post here. We are fans of a GAME. Have some fun with it.

No worries. None of us are allowed to say anything according to swoosh because we haven't doned the Michigan uniform...haha

Go Blue!!
    I may not be an expert, but I have donned a Michigan uniform. I got one at mden.com. ;~)
  • LBC-blue wrote:

Go Blue!!
    LOL.  No sh**, I forgot about that brilliant comment.  I was yelling at the Tigers last night but then I forgot I've never hit a 95 mph fastball so I shut up and turned the channel to the HGTV network.  They were tiling a back splash and I've done that work before so I felt much more comfortable.
  • WolvyMike wrote:

also, we all know all recruits we lose are because of the things we post in this forum that said recruits read.
    When the all that stuff was being said about Craig Roh's dad reading message boards, I created an acct on here named CraigRohsDad which I planned to use from time to time to brow-beat critical posters, but Phil wasn't on board.

As far as this Clark kid, he may very well be a great player, but at some point the headaches outweigh his potential contribution to the program, so if he changes his mind again no biggie.  Hoke and his staff can find a very good TE who wants to actually play here.

• ^^^ that would been hilarious......potentially slanderous, but funny.
  • Does Clark still consider himself a Michigan commit?

Go Blue!!

• Does Clark still consider himself a Michigan commit?

Go Blue!!

Yes, but it's a matter of time...
  • "Man michigan has officially hit rock bottom."

"I'm saying I have no idea what's gonna happen with michigan and if coach hoke gets fired which coach will replace him,"

Tweeted this on Saturday night during the UM game….he’ll be the next to go, shortly followed by Brian Cole.

Go Blue!!
  • 24 hours later tweets out "Rivalry week........#beatohio"

Dude's all over the map
  • He will be a smart recruit and look elsewhere while keeping his commitment and waiting to see. If we get harbaugh or something he doesn't have to flip flop twice to get to coach under a super bowl caliber leader. With the fact signing day is still 3 months away I'm surprised more of these kids don't think this way and stay commited but look at other schools then flip in feb once everything is settled if they don't like the end result. Cause now Honestly most of them would look like flakes if they just recommit cause we got harbaugh.
  • Once we get harbaugh..........riiiiiggghhhhhttttt........lol
  • jsj_297 wrote:

Once we get harbaugh..........riiiiiggghhhhhttttt........lol
    Not saying we are going to. But if we do or we get les miles and these kids who decommited come begging back in. I'd hope the new coach tells them to go away we don't want you. Those who stay will be champions.
  • Clark and Kirkland will visit Texas on Dec. 5 together.

Go Blue!!
  • Malzone said today that Clark was gone...the other 7 are all solid commits regardless of Hoke's status.

Go Blue!!

• Thankfully we have options at TE

Too bad we don't have anyone to get "those options at TE" the ball...lol

Go Blue!!