Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Get ready for this black eye- Gibbons investigation

Comments

• BlueSteel wrote:

It's all the same, only the names will change...

December 21, 2004:  Albert Dukes, a freshman WR at tO$U was arrested in Palm Beach County, FL and charged with two second-degree felony counts of lewd and lascivious conduct involving a 12 year old girl.  Just two days following his arrest, Tressel permits Dukes to travel with the team to San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl.  The charges are later dropped, when the girl’s parents choose not to have their daughter testify in court.  Dukes was not kicked off the team, nor "permanently separated" from thee university.  He remained on the team through his senior year, but rarely saw any significant playing time.

Maybe when this happens again in 2024, action will be more swift?

It only ends once. Everything else is just progress.

If Gibbons' case was identical, maybe it would have been more swift. Every case is different. That's one of the beauties of the justice system.

• The university is not releasing information about the incident, citing privacy laws and school policy. Hoke is going along with the university policy.

And what are we really arguing here? Hoke didn't let Gibbons play once he was expelled. Until then, he's still innocent (legal charges were actually dropped and the case is closed) until proven guilty and able to go to classes and play football.

People are pissed and mad Hoke didn't explain things the perfect way you would like him too (he's going along with university policy, btw)...and this is news to us? It's not like Hoke is a great orator.

Gibbons was expelled, he didn't play in the bowl game, we still got our asses kicked and the ship is going the wrong way.

Go Blue!!
    I don't care that he didn't explain, he didn't have to and a full explanation would have violated FERPA. He didn't have to lie and make up crap about family issues, etc which, along with the other pieces of the puzzle, gives the appearance of a coverup. Giving directory information like whether a student is enrolled at the time does not violate FERPA. Hoke could have easily said, Gibbons is not longer a student athlete at Michigan and been done with it.

Here's the thing, it was going to come out. The university/Hoke gained nothing by lying, it just makes them look worse now that the truth is out in the open. Now we have people pulling faxes and matching dates with press conferences to see who knew what when, and it's a mess.

Completely unavoidable.

And the fact remains that the proper steps were taken to have him kicked out of school by the university for his conduct. That's not a Hoke issue, RichRod issue, Brandon issue, etc. It's a university issue and once he was kicked out of school, Hoke said he wasn't playing in the bowl game. Could he have said he was no longer at the university of Michigan? Probably, but just because he said it was a family issue doesn't change any of the facts of the case and what actually happened.

Go Blue!!

• The university is not releasing information about the incident, citing privacy laws and school policy. Hoke is going along with the university policy.

And what are we really arguing here? Hoke didn't let Gibbons play once he was expelled. Until then, he's still innocent (legal charges were actually dropped and the case is closed) until proven guilty and able to go to classes and play football.

People are pissed and mad Hoke didn't explain things the perfect way you would like him too (he's going along with university policy, btw)...and this is news to us? It's not like Hoke is a great orator.

Gibbons was expelled, he didn't play in the bowl game, we still got our asses kicked and the ship is going the wrong way.

Go Blue!!
    I don't care that he didn't explain, he didn't have to and a full explanation would have violated FERPA. He didn't have to lie and make up crap about family issues, etc which, along with the other pieces of the puzzle, gives the appearance of a coverup. Giving directory information like whether a student is enrolled at the time does not violate FERPA. Hoke could have easily said, Gibbons is not longer a student athlete at Michigan and been done with it.

Here's the thing, it was going to come out. The university/Hoke gained nothing by lying, it just makes them look worse now that the truth is out in the open. Now we have people pulling faxes and matching dates with press conferences to see who knew what when, and it's a mess.

Completely unavoidable.

And the fact remains that the proper steps were taken to have him kicked out of school by the university for his conduct. That's not a Hoke issue, RichRod issue, Brandon issue, etc. It's a university issue and once he was kicked out of school, Hoke said he wasn't playing in the bowl game. Could he have said he was no longer at the university of Michigan? Probably, but just because he said it was a family issue doesn't change any of the facts of the case and what actually happened.

Go Blue!!
    I don't disagree. But the result has been Michigan appearing to be engaged in a coverup and terrible PR. Hoke achieved nothing by lying, just moved the date forward and caused more grief/scrutiny.
  • How did Hoke lie?  Getting expelled is a family/personnel issue and none of yours or mine business.
  • BlueSteel wrote:

December 21, 2004:  Albert Dukes, a freshman WR at tO$U was arrested in Palm Beach County, FL and charged with two second-degree felony counts of lewd and lascivious conduct involving a 12 year old girl.  Just two days following his arrest, Tressel permits Dukes to travel with the team to San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl.  The charges are later dropped, when the girl’s parents choose not to have their daughter testify in court.  Dukes was not kicked off the team, nor "permanently separated" from thee university.  He remained on the team through his senior year, but rarely saw any significant playing time.

12!!!! God how sick is that! I recently responded to a traumatic sexual injury involving a toddler she was so seriously injured that they trauma alerted the baby when we arrived at the ED.people are so sick these days.

Next time anybody wonders wtf is wrong with my head, thats just one of a hundred things. I guess I've earned that right.
  • jsj_297 wrote:
    BlueSteel wrote:

12!!!! God how sick is that! I recently responded to a traumatic sexual injury involving a toddler she was so seriously injured that they trauma alerted the baby when we arrived at the ED.people are so sick these days.

Next time anybody wonders wtf is wrong with my head, thats just one of a hundred things. I guess I've earned that right.

Pop a couple Vicodin, strap the onsite to your chest and have yourself a good time...150J ain't gonna do anything to you. :)

Go Blue!!
  • swoosh wrote:

Like I said talk is cheap if you are not in Hokes shoes.

Being expelled from school is a school matter and a family matter.

No it's not.  It's called character and it's what you do when nobody is watching.  

I don't have a dog in this fight.  Hoke followed policy, didn't feel compelled to comment on it, it got labeled a "family matter", and it's now a PR mess.  So be it.  (of course, if this were Tressel or Dantonio this board would be all over it so fast the hypocrisy would be dripping through my computer screen but that's another conversation).  But this notion that Hoke doesn't owe us anything and he's not going to throw kids under the bus et al. is ridiculous.  When you are the Head Football Coach at The University of Michigan you are held to a higher standard, (or at least that used to be the case) and there is an expectation level that is pretty clear and it starts with doing the right thing.  Not once. Not twice.  Each and every time.  Hoke and Brandon f'ked this up and turned it into a PR mess when it didn't need to be and now it smells like a cover-up while the grassy knoll guys are running all over town looking for the 2nd shooter.  And when you are the head coach of a public university you DO owe the people that help pay your salary an explanation so this idea of "it's none of our business" is BS.  It's one thing to be a shitt* football coach, which Hoke is, but don't compound the problem by doing stupid sh** off the field.   
  • other than a buckeye board, this thread,  and a small blurb on ESPN, I've hardly even seen anything about it.  Time to focus on next year, IMO.
  • So Hoke holds a presser today and they ban the Michigan Daily from attending it...... Good grief.
  • From a PR standpoint, Michigan could not be handling this story any worse. Been that way from the jump.
  • [link=http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/02/brady_hoke_issues_statement_sa.html]http://www.mlive.com/wolv...sues_statement_sa.html[/link]
    "Michigan Athletics has no influence over any part of a review of a potential violation of University's student code of conduct -- not the process, the investigation or the timing of the resolution," Hoke began. "In general, while we may be aware of an on-going proceeding, we always strive to balance transparency with privacy.

"Our usual approach is to not issue discipline related to a student's standing on the team before the University's process runs its course and the outcome has been determined. We will always respect the rights and confidentiality of the process and the parties involved. One way we do that is by not discussing the details of student disciplinary matters.

"So while I would like to be more forthcoming, I can't provide any details due to federal privacy laws and University policies.

"We talk every day with our kids about the importance of character and integrity. It's something we take very seriously, how we're going to do things the right way. We talk daily about your name and what it means. That's why you get into this as a coach, to help young men grow and learn and mature. We're held to those standards, and we hold them to that. I think I've made clear our expectations, and our actions and discipline involving incidents in the past have reflected that. And those standards will not be compromised."

Go Blue!!
  • Hoke's quotes completely contradict Gibbons even being on the team for the last 4 years.  Talking about higher standards and stuff everyday?  Don't think so.

And if it's true he knew Gibbons was going to be expelled before the Iowa game, wouldn't that constitute the University being done with it's investigation?

• If Michigan's Office of Student Conflict Resolution made its decision on Gibbons' suspension on Nov. 20, three days before the Iowa game, why wasn't Gibbons officially notified of his suspension until Dec. 19?

Go Blue!!
  • Yea, this is not coming off well

Many questions are currently being asked about why it took so long for a decision to be reached, and why head football coach Brady Hoke [link=http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Brady-Hoke-is-lying-about-Devin-Gardner-and-Brendan-Gibbons-10-2-4652]chose to tell the media[/link] that Gibbons was battling an injury when asked why he was missing the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl back in December. Unfortunately, questions couldn’t be asked today by the Michigan Daily at Hoke’s press conference, because the school apparently banned the publication and its writers from attending it

[link=http://collegespun.com/big-ten/michigan-big-ten/ums-student-newspaper-the-michigan-daily-was-barred-from-brady-hokes-press-conference-after-breaking-gibbons-story]http://collegespun.com/bi...breaking-gibbons-story[/link]

As for the delay, I`m guessing that Gibbons had time to appeal which would explain why despite things weren't final until Dec. What it doesn't explain is why Hoke went out on the 22nd and lied. Something he DID NOT have to do despite that privacy claims U of M is trying to hide behind.
  • [link=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140214/michigan-rape-case-fallout/?mobile=no]http://sportsillustrated....ase-fallout/?mobile=no[/link]
    In November 2011, Dr. Douglas Smith attended the University of Michigan Board of Regents meeting in a conference room in the Fleming Administration Building. School president Mary Sue Coleman was seated at one end of a long table, with the regents and various administrators lining the sides. A few media members and some attendees from the general public, including Smith, sat in chairs against the walls.

At the end of each meeting there is a period for public comment, and that is when Smith, a pathologist who worked at the school from 2006-09, stepped to a podium set up at the end of the table opposite Coleman and read a prepared statement.

"You don't need to travel to Penn State to find a university administration who has failed to protect the alleged victims of sexual assaults," Smith began. He went on to describe how in 2009 then-freshman kicker Brendan Gibbons allegedly raped another freshman student-athlete at a fraternity party. The incident was reported to campus and Ann Arbor police. The victim took a rape kit, which revealed vaginal tearing. According to a police report obtained by Smith, authorities learned that a friend of the victim was told by one of Gibbons' teammates that if the victim pressed charges "then I'm going to rape her because, [Gibbons] didn't." A short time later, the victim cut off contact with police and the case went dormant.

After outlining the alleged incident from two years before, Smith asked of Coleman and the others at the table: "Where was the university administration when it came time to protect this victim and assure her that she had the support of the administration? Where was SAPAC (the school's Sexual Assault Prevention & Awareness Center)? Where were the campus police? Why were neither Gibbons nor the football player who threatened to rape her brought up on charges of violating the student code of conduct?"

According to Smith, at the conclusion of his statement (a copy of which Smith provided SI.com), neither Coleman nor any of the Board of Regents said anything to him. Smith returned the next month and made a similar speech, and at the close of his remarks he walked up to Coleman and placed a picture of the victim in front of her. "I wanted [Coleman] to know that there was a person who suffered," Smith told SI.com. "I wanted her to know this wasn't an abstract story. This was real."

Go Blue!!
  • Does anyone else find it strange that other than a few Michigan message boards, this story does not seem to be getting any attention? 
  • It's clearly not over, yet...so we'll see. I was never a Gibbons fan and would just prefer this ends and ends quickly.

Go Blue!!
  • It's on sports illustrated and espn. Plus all local media coverage. I'd say it's getting attention albeit 4 yrs to late
  • I guess since I don't live on those sites, nor am I local, I'm just not seeing it. 
  • This Smith cat is really on the hunt, geez...I know it was a terrible incident, but he almost comes off as salty and pissed for not having his contract renewed in 2009. Hell, even the victim won't talk to him anymore and got upset with Smith when he used her quotes out of context for his blog/website.

Go Blue!!
  • How is it on um if they contacted AA police. , who conducted an investigation, or else they wouldn't have had a rape kit. This is on AA police IMO.

Anybody care to take a guess at the mystery team mate who threatened to rape her? Hmmmmmm
  • Yeah the "mystery" teammate isn't such a mystery. Broke awhile ago that it was Lewan.
  • Gibbons is gone.  The major issue seems to be on the police, IMO.  If no charges were ever pressed, you can't expect the team to do anything.  And you can't expect a new coach to come in and retroactively start suspending kids that should have been punished under the old regime.
  • The unfortunate thing is that sexual crimes, domestic disputes, etc happen every day on campuses across America (and off campuses) and not all of them are reported) because victims either don't want to be labeled or identified, etc. It's an unfortunate set of circumstances, but no one came make someone tell a story (report a crime, etc) they don't want to tell no matter what everyone thinks about it and how much truth there may be. My mom is a domestic violence director and I've seen situations like this for the last 20yrs unfold the exact same way.

Go Blue!!
  • I always question timing, motivation, and does someone have an ax to grind.  This gentleman seems to fit all three.  Like Scottsdale said, even the alleged victim doesn't want to deal with this dude anymore. Clearly something went down-but exactly what we may never know.  I'm just glad Gibbons and Lewan are gone.

• Yeah the "mystery" teammate isn't such a mystery. Broke awhile ago that it was Lewan.

Sarcasm, perhaps I should've used a dummy face? Like this [8D]
  • jsj_297 wrote:

Yeah the "mystery" teammate isn't such a mystery. Broke awhile ago that it was Lewan.

I wasn't directing my response negatively to you. I was actually agreeing with you and just letting anyone who was unaware of the "mystery" (which is why I put the quotes in the response) is not a mystery at all.
  • jsj_297 wrote:

Yeah the "mystery" teammate isn't such a mystery. Broke awhile ago that it was Lewan.

I wasn't directing my response negatively to you. I was actually agreeing with you and just letting anyone who was unaware of the "mystery" (which is why I put the quotes in the response) is not a mystery at all.
    I may have to save this post as my signature, u actually agreeing with me! [;)]
  • Yea.........story is not going away.