Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Get ready for this black eye- Gibbons investigation

Comments

• Oh well.  He's gone, Lewan is gone, I'm not going to stop watching Michigan football over this.  If there was a coverup, get rid of whoever was involved and move on.  I'm tired of all this BS, I just want to watch some freaking football on Saturdays.
  • WolvyMike wrote:

Oh well.  He's gone, Lewan is gone, I'm not going to stop watching Michigan football over this.  If there was a coverup, get rid of whoever was involved and move on.  I'm tired of all this BS, I just want to watch some freaking football on Saturdays.

If you want to watch football on Saturdays you might want to pick another team...LMAO!

Go Blue!!
  • Drew Sharp doing any investigating would require him actually getting off his fat ass and doing some actual work, something he hasn't done for about 15 years or so.

It was reported on ESPN, and CBS Sports. Whether or not there's anything to follow up on, who knows. Quite literally every key player involved in this mess when the actual incident occurred is gone: Gibbons, Rodriguez, Martin, Coleman. It doesn't seem likely that anyone still at U-M is guilty (legally or otherwise) of anything. The optics of this coming out after Gibbons' eligibility was already up is horrendous, and Hoke using the exact same excuse that Dantonio used when one of his players had to go back to Florida to face felony charges is shameful, but that's probably the extent of it.
  • [link=http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2014/01/brendan_gibbons_was_arrested_i.html]http://www.mlive.com/news...ns_was_arrested_i.html[/link]

And now the truth starts to come out....Gibbons was arrested in 2009 for this incident.  Makes me like HOKE less and less.   What a shame.  I guess thats why his players like him so much.  He is loyal to a fault.
  • It is amusing how far people will go with their distaste for Hoke. If you don't like him as a coach, fine. Some of this is getting ridiculous.
  • vixblue wrote:

[link=http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2014/01/brendan_gibbons_was_arrested_i.html]http://www.mlive.com/news...ns_was_arrested_i.html[/link]

And now the truth starts to come out....Gibbons was arrested in 2009 for this incident.  Makes me like HOKE less and less. What a shame.  I guess thats why his players like him so much.  He is loyal to a fault.

Why, Hoke wasn't the coach in 2009.

Gibbons was never charged and the girl decided not to file charges. What am I missing here?

Go Blue!!
  • vixblue wrote:

[link=http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2014/01/brendan_gibbons_was_arrested_i.html]http://www.mlive.com/news...ns_was_arrested_i.html[/link]

And now the truth starts to come out....Gibbons was arrested in 2009 for this incident.  Makes me like HOKE less and less. What a shame.  I guess thats why his players like him so much.  He is loyal to a fault.

Why, Hoke wasn't the coach in 2009.

Gibbons was never charged and the girl decided not to file charges. What am I missing here?

Go Blue!!
    He basically covered up the fact that he was kicked out.  that BS of  "i dont want to over kick him."  Anyway you cut it, the athletic department has covered up this issue. And, the buck stops and starts with the coach of the program. Its all about half truths he tells.  When Gibbons was not going to the bowl game, he could have said its an eligibility issue or academic issue like they did with Tate.  Instead, he said it was a family issue.  I wish there was more transparency.  I thought we were above this sort of shananigans
  • I don't think it's too much to expect your head coach not lie about a serious situation. FERPA didn't prevent Hoke from stating that Gibbons was no longer a student athlete at Michigan. He (likely at the behest of the athletic department) lied to avoid the obvious questions and subsequent bad press that would have come with telling the truth.
  • This just in. Hoke has just been linked to the Michigan murders. Lol.

• I don't think it's too much to expect your head coach not lie about a serious situation. FERPA didn't prevent Hoke from stating that Gibbons was no longer a student athlete at Michigan. He (likely at the behest of the athletic department) lied to avoid the obvious questions and subsequent bad press that would have come with telling the truth.

Hoke covered for one of his players, he's not gong to throw any of his players under the bus.  He'll lose recruits if he starts down that road.

• This quote answers a little bit: "The case is listed as closed because the woman who reported the incident did not want to pursue prosecution. Ann Arbor police Detective Lt. Robert Pfannes said Wednesday his understanding was the woman wanted to pursue the case through the university."
  • swoosh wrote:

I don't think it's too much to expect your head coach not lie about a serious situation. FERPA didn't prevent Hoke from stating that Gibbons was no longer a student athlete at Michigan. He (likely at the behest of the athletic department) lied to avoid the obvious questions and subsequent bad press that would have come with telling the truth.

Hoke covered for one of his players, he's not gong to throw any of his players under the bus.  He'll lose recruits if he starts down that road.

Stating a fact is throwing a kid under the bus?
  • swoosh wrote:

I don't think it's too much to expect your head coach not lie about a serious situation. FERPA didn't prevent Hoke from stating that Gibbons was no longer a student athlete at Michigan. He (likely at the behest of the athletic department) lied to avoid the obvious questions and subsequent bad press that would have come with telling the truth.

Good thing Borges wasn't head coach, he'd thrown him under the bus, drove over him, backed 'er up and run over him again......
  • swoosh wrote:

In a young kids eyes, yes it is throwing  them under the bus.   How many kids do you think Hoke could recruit if he started to get all high and mighty on kids and airing their dirt?  This is not the 1970's and things are how they are.

Hokes or any CFB coach life blood is recruiting, his job depends on it more than anything.  

Talk is cheap on what any of us would do if we were put in this situation, because we are not a Head football coach.
  • Brady Hoke does not owe any of you any explanation. Being expelled is a family matter .
  • swoosh wrote:

Brady Hoke does not owe any of you any explanation. Being expelled is a family matter .
    obviously its not a private family matter if there is an arrest record, which as you know is public knowledge.  The fact that there was no initial report of a michigan football player being arrested for suspicion of rape is in itself interesting.  Heck the media is littered with reports of college football players getting arrested for things much less serious then a rape case!

Again, it becomes an academic matter when a school takes action.  Saying its a "family matter"  almost makes people feel sorry for Gibbons, ie: a death in the family etc.  The fact is, he put himself in a situation where he could be accused of rape. 
  • swoosh wrote:
    swoosh wrote:

In a young kids eyes, yes it is throwing  them under the bus.   How many kids do you think Hoke could recruit if he started to get all high and mighty on kids and airing their dirt?  This is not the 1970's and things are how they are.

Hokes or any CFB coach life blood is recruiting, his job depends on it more than anything.  

Talk is cheap on what any of us would do if we were put in this situation, because we are not a Head football coach.

Sorry, any kid that views this as being thrown under the bus by the coach should not be playing football at Michigan.  Period.  It's Hoke's job to be "high and mighty", not a cover-up artist for players.  If they don't like that concept they can either not come to Michigan or leave.  Contrary to what some players might think, the inmates do NOT run the asylum.  Not at Michigan.  You're suggesting we should look the other way because it might have a negative impact on recruiting?  Seriously?
  • It's all the same, only the names will change...

December 21, 2004:  Albert Dukes, a freshman WR at tO$U was arrested in Palm Beach County, FL and charged with two second-degree felony counts of lewd and lascivious conduct involving a 12 year old girl.  Just two days following his arrest, Tressel permits Dukes to travel with the team to San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl.  The charges are later dropped, when the girl’s parents choose not to have their daughter testify in court.  Dukes was not kicked off the team, nor "permanently separated" from thee university.  He remained on the team through his senior year, but rarely saw any significant playing time.

Maybe when this happens again in 2024, action will be more swift?

It only ends once. Everything else is just progress.
  • Like I said talk is cheap if you are not in Hokes shoes.

Being expelled from school is a school matter and a family matter.
  • The university is not releasing information about the incident, citing privacy laws and school policy. Hoke is going along with the university policy.

And what are we really arguing here? Hoke didn't let Gibbons play once he was expelled. Until then, he's still innocent (legal charges were actually dropped and the case is closed) until proven guilty and able to go to classes and play football.

People are pissed and mad Hoke didn't explain things the perfect way you would like him too (he's going along with university policy, btw)...and this is news to us? It's not like Hoke is a great orator.

Gibbons was expelled, he didn't play in the bowl game, we still got our asses kicked and the ship is going the wrong way.

Go Blue!!
  • Makes you wonder if Gibbons was really 'injured' for the Ohio game, huh?

• The university is not releasing information about the incident, citing privacy laws and school policy. Hoke is going along with the university policy.

And what are we really arguing here? Hoke didn't let Gibbons play once he was expelled. Until then, he's still innocent (legal charges were actually dropped and the case is closed) until proven guilty and able to go to classes and play football.

People are pissed and mad Hoke didn't explain things the perfect way you would like him too (he's going along with university policy, btw)...and this is news to us? It's not like Hoke is a great orator.

Gibbons was expelled, he didn't play in the bowl game, we still got our asses kicked and the ship is going the wrong way.

Go Blue!!
    Yep, this ^^^^^^

• again, its the REASON he gave.  Family matter vs academic issue or TEAM rules violation.  Certainly taking advantage of a drunk  co ed would follow under this realm
  • vixblue wrote:

again, its the REASON he gave.  Family matter vs academic issue or TEAM rules violation.  Certainly taking advantage of a drunk  co ed would follow under this realm

And THE REASON he gave THE REASON is because he was following university policy and privacy laws.

I'm not saying that's right or wrong but you're grasping for straws and arguing semantics and it's making you look petty because of your hatred towards Hoke.

Go Blue!!
  • Let me put it this way.

It's none of our business, nor does Brady Hoke or UM own any of us any explanation. 
  • Stewart Mandel just tweeted about it. Made it national pretty quickly. As the late Heath Ledger would say, "And here, we, go...."

Go Blue!!
    I don't care that he didn't explain, he didn't have to and a full explanation would have violated FERPA. He didn't have to lie and make up crap about family issues, etc which, along with the other pieces of the puzzle, gives the appearance of a coverup. Giving directory information like whether a student is enrolled at the time does not violate FERPA. Hoke could have easily said, Gibbons is not longer a student athlete at Michigan and been done with it.

Here's the thing, it was going to come out. The university/Hoke gained nothing by lying, it just makes them look worse now that the truth is out in the open. Now we have people pulling faxes and matching dates with press conferences to see who knew what when, and it's a mess.

Completely unavoidable.
  • where's the outrage over Appling and Payne still playing for Sparty.  They raped in her dorm room and got away with it.