UMGOBLUE.COM

2013 Tigers season

I know I am a little early but am anxious for the season to start. If the biggies can stay healthy--Miggy, Prince and Vmart; Fisher and Sanchez pitch well; and they find a closer ( do not like closer by committee) we can win it all this year. On top of that Directv has lowered the MLB package so my wife will complain less -- I hope. Go Tigers!!

Comments

• I know I am a little early but am anxious for the season to start. If the biggies can stay healthy--Miggy, Prince and Vmart; Fisher and Sanchez pitch well; and they find a closer ( do not like closer by committee) we can win it all this year. On top of that Directv has lowered the MLB package so my wife will complain less -- I hope. Go Tigers!!
  • Opening day in chilly Minnesota. Verlander on the mound; Miggy, Prince and Vmart chomping to get some hits--Go Tigers!
  • Tigers up 3-0, B2.

Go Tigers!!

• Tigers win 4-2, hard to believe that it is Verlander's first opening day win. Miggy though had a 0-5.
  • Tigers lose 3-2...Coke gives up walk-off 2-run double. WTF!

Go Tigers!!
  • Coke served up meat pitches to two weak hitters. However Jackson should have caught the last one. But what is wrong with Dotel?
  • Jackson and Dirks screwed that one pretty bad.  But if you can't score more than 2 runs against the Twinks what do you espect?  Ok, on to what I'm good at. (besides ending a sentence with a preposition ;)  Good to see Avila picking up where he left off last year-killing every worm in front of home plate.  Nobody can beat a ball into the ground like this guy, not even Bosch. Dragging him around for another year outta be fun.  Loving Hunter in the 2 spot.  We should see a LOT of hit & run action and be able to mfg runs and not rely on Miggy & Biggy to clear the paths.  Tough loss but just play a little above .500 for April and May and we'll be fine.  Too many good hitters in the lineup so they'll get hot.
  • That was pretty mild TK you may be softening with your old age!
  • Tell me today is April fool's day, Tigers sign Valverde to a minor league contract!
  • Tigers down 3-2 to Yanks in home opener. 3, 4 & 5 guys are 0-6...maybe their bats didn't make the plane ride back up from Lakeland.

Go Tigers!!
  • They came alive-Prince hitting two big ones and TK's boy Avila hitting one. Smyly pitched four innings of perfect ball to close it.
  • umgoblue14 wrote:

That was pretty mild TK you may be softening with your old age!

Ha ha!  Yeah, but it's early buddy.  I'll be riding Avila like The Mule...er...a mule all year. ;)

Only 4 games in and it's looking like this bullpen is going to be a rollercoaster nightmare.  Smyly was dominating yesterday but now he's back on the rack for the next 2 games.  It seems to me flip flopping Porcello and Smyly would make the most sense.  Porcello canNOT get past the 4th or 5th inning in any game and the line on him is always the same-cruise through the 3rd, get nicked for 1 in the 4th, and then 2 or 3 more in the 5th and then out.  It doesn't look awful when it's happening but he ends up lugging around a 5 dot whatever ERA.  Seems to me he'd be the perfect middle man.  Get 2, maybe 3 innings out of him (stop at 9 batters.  Things go wrong once he's been thru the lineup once.) and then bring in...umm...somebody else.  On the offensive side I'm loving the Jackson-Hunter combo.  Hunter has been a machine so far.  In a blink of an eye he's standing on first and Jackson is on 3rd with no outs.  Reminds of the Trammell-Whitaker days.
  • You are spot on about the Jackson-Hunter pair reminding us of the Tammell-Whitaker days. Also Infante could be the perfect ninth hitter. While I can be stubborn at times I still like Porcello because of his age. You do make a point however on when he gets scored on. Seems like once through the lineup they figure him out. Flipping the two at this time makes sense but I still would rather give Porcello more of a chance. Avila IMO should be on a short leash this year. Tigers may need to look for a catcher next year. My question so far on this team is why not try Dotel as the closer?
  • If Jackson and Hunter keep getting on base, we are going to score a sh*tload of runs once Fatty (.200), Biggy (.250) and VMat (.143) start hitting.

Our starting pitching should be close to the best in MLB with Verlander, Scherzer, Dirty Sanchez and Fister.

Go Tigers!!
  • TK23Blue wrote:
    It seems to me flip flopping Porcello and Smyly would make the most sense.  Porcello canNOT get past the 4th or 5th inning in any game and the line on him is always the same-cruise through the 3rd, get nicked for 1 in the 4th, and then 2 or 3 more in the 5th and then out.

Tigers up 6-1 in the 5th and lost 8-6...this sh*t is gonna get old real fast.

Go Tigers!!
  • Tigers lost to the A's last night. Time for Villareal to be sent down and bring up someone to get some outs. Also Dotel hurt his elbow so why not bring up Marte?
  • umgoblue14 wrote:

Tigers lost to the A's last night. Time for Villreal to be sent down and bring up someone to get some outs. Also Dotel hurt his elbow so why not bring up Marte?

Agree 100%. Villareal is throwing BP out there.  We can't score 6 runs every game and what we all knew would be our biggest problem is exactly what's happening.
  • Tigers won 7-3 last night, Fielder is starting the season strong. Now Sanchez needs to pitch well today and also give us some innings. Bullpen still too shaky for me, Porcello may pitch an inning or so today. Pena could be a good pickup for us.
  • Tigers win big again over the A's. Now will Leyland listen to TK and pull the switch to Porcello as the closer?? IMO now is a good time to do it. Go Tigers!!
  • Jackson and Hunter are RIDICULOUS!  I am absolutely LOVING this combination.  Hunter is tearing the cover off the ball.  Even his outs are ripped.  Love to see Peralta doing what he's doing too.  VMart is off to a slow start but his swing looks good and he hit some balls hard yesterday so that's a good sign.  And yes UM14-keep Porcello in the pen!  He's great for 2-3 innings so why not?  It's exactly what we need.  Right now NO lead is safe so leave him in there.  I'm going to theTtigs-Angels game this Sat. and who's the starter? Porcello.  ARGH!!
  • Great stadium in Anaheim been there a few times. Yeah with Porcello pitching it could be a long ball game. Hopefully you will not get Angel Hernandez as an ump, cause he is the worse. Good time to visit the Angels with Weaver out. The Tigers are coming to Houston in early May and I will be down there for four games! Can't wait to see Minute Maid Park and mark that ballpark off my list of stadiums to visit.
  • umgoblue14 wrote:

Great stadium in Anaheim been there a few times. Yeah with Porcello pitching it could be a long ball game. Hopefully you will not get Angel Hernandez as an ump, cause he is the worse. Good time to visit the Angels with Weaver out. The Tigers are coming to Houston in early May and I will be down there for four games! Can't wait to see Minute Maid Park and mark that ballpark off my list of stadiums to visit.

Yeah, it's a really nice stadium.  One of those where if you drop a peanut shell on the ground you'll actually stop and pick it up.  I prefer the old Tiger Stadium where you'd just pi$$ in the sink. :))

Good game last night.  6-2 thumpin' of the Mariners.  Jackson-Hunter were at it again and Miggy was just being himself.  The greatest hitter I've ever seen in a Tiger's uniform, by far.  This year could be a LOT of fun but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.  LONG way to go.  The only real story line that may exist is seeing if Alex Avila can SUCK ANYMORE than he already does.  I think he has more suckiness in him but we'll see.  Eventually the tap of suck has to run dry, right?  Right? 
  • Yeah Avila really looked bad against Furbush. He swung at two pitches that were so outside that he could not have reached them with a 20 foot pole! A couple of years ago when he was hitting he would take outside pitches to left. I may be wrong but he has not done that this year. I will give him the rest of this year but if he does not come around they will have to find another catcher even though he is a good defensive catcher. Despite the victory Fielder looked lost at the plate--received the sombrero, four strikeouts.
  • Fister off to a nice start this season and the top of the lineup has been doing what they need to do night in and night out. Twins won't be a threat in the division...the White Sox will always be in the mix. Indians are interesting because of Francona. And I don't imagine the Royals will make any noise. 90 wins will take the central this year and I think this team has that in them. We'll see....like you said, A LOT of games to be played over a long ass summer.

Go Tigers!!
  • TK better hope the offense wakes up today with Porcello pitching. Fortunately the bullpen is rested except for Dotel who has sucked lately. Also the game is televised nationally. Starting to have my doubts with Dirks and the number 6 spot in the lineup. Hate it when he puts Peralta in that spot. I was thinking about Infante there until he stopped hitting. Problem is that they have no other options at this time. Have fun!
  • Tigers lost 8-1 last night and are down 9-0 in the 2nd today....they are having a rough go of it on the west coast.

Go Tigers!!
  • Yeah I don't think TK had a good time at the ballpark today. Maybe time to switch Porcello and Smiley. However Porcello sure had some bad luck with some of those hits. His problem is that when he gets two strikes on hitters he can not close them out with a strikeout. I can't remember ever seeing so many ground ball hits get thru the infield in one inning.
  • umgoblue14 wrote:

Yeah I don't think TK had a good time at the ballpark today. Maybe time to switch Porcello and Smiley. However Porcello sure had some bad luck with some of those hits. His problem is that when he gets two strikes on hitters he can not close them out with a strikeout. I can't remember ever seeing so many ground ball hits get thru the infield in one inning.

Unreal UMGB14.  What a complete waste of a beautiful Sat. afternoon.  (Even the Angel's "fans" must have felt the same way considering the stadium was empty.)  We got there a little late but by the time I grabbed a beer and a dog and sat down I was just in time for trouser Trout's slam.  9-0 before I could even take a sip.  Never seen anything like it.  If Leyland hasn't seen enough of Porcello (and Villareal for that matter) by now I have no idea what it will take.  Porcello did get a bit unlucky with all the garbage hits but it doesn't matter. Like you said, he can't close out a hitter with 2 strikes.  And why?  He has NO OUT PITCH!  Nothing.  Then again, I guess it doesn't matter when your offense completely disappears.  The drop off from 1-4 vs 5-9 is so severe it's hard to believe some of these guys are in the majors.  VMart is brutal but he gets a pass for now.  But the rest?  God awful.  We have the 2 worst possible problems you can have: horribly weak up the middle (outside of AJ) and no bullpen. 
  • Angels sweep on walk off HR in B13...awesome series!

Go Tigers!!