Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

POY: Burke v. Oladipo. Who you got?

Personally, I think Burke is hands down POY both nationally and in the B1G over Oladipo and it really shouldn't be close if you look at things statistically speaking. Burke is 2nd in the conference in scoring at 19 ppg. Oladipo is averaging just 13 ppg and isn't even the leading scorer on his team?! To put it in better perspective, Burke has scored 15 or more points in EVERY conference game which is more than Oladipo's average ppg!

Then there are assists where Burke is far and away leading the conference at 7 apg. Aaron Craft is 2nd nearly 3 apg behind Burke and Oladipo isn't in the top 15 in this category! Oh, and Burke is also leading in assists/turnover ratio.

But we hear how Oladipo's defense is why he is considered a POY candidate. Oh really? Again, stats don't lie. Oladipo is leading the conference in steals at 2.3/game. Burke is 6th in the conference at 1.6/game. So for all the praise Oladipo gets for his defense, he only has a negligible advantage over Burke in steals!

Lastly, lets look at Michigan's last two games. Both were must wins for Michigan to keep their conference title hopes alive. Burke averaged almost 24 ppg in the two games making key plays down the stretch in BOTH games in leading his team to 2 wins. Meanwhile Oladipo was a no show in a game where IU could have clinched an outright B1G championship at home, scored only 7 points and fouled out. Yeah, that was a POY performance...

One more thing to think about. Take Oladipo away from IU and they are still contending for the B1G. i don't think you could say the same for Michigan if you take Burke away.

IMO, regardless of the outcome on Sunday, the race for POY has been over for a while now if you ask me.

Comments

• Personally, I think Burke is hands down POY both nationally and in the B1G over Oladipo and it really shouldn't be close if you look at things statistically speaking. Burke is 2nd in the conference in scoring at 19 ppg. Oladipo is averaging just 13 ppg and isn't even the leading scorer on his team?! To put it in better perspective, Burke has scored 15 or more points in EVERY conference game which is more than Oladipo's average ppg!

Then there are assists where Burke is far and away leading the conference at 7 apg. Aaron Craft is 2nd nearly 3 apg behind Burke and Oladipo isn't in the top 15 in this category! Oh, and Burke is also leading in assists/turnover ratio.

But we hear how Oladipo's defense is why he is considered a POY candidate. Oh really? Again, stats don't lie. Oladipo is leading the conference in steals at 2.3/game. Burke is 6th in the conference at 1.6/game. So for all the praise Oladipo gets for his defense, he only has a negligible advantage over Burke in steals!

Lastly, lets look at Michigan's last two games. Both were must wins for Michigan to keep their conference title hopes alive. Burke averaged almost 24 ppg in the two games making key plays down the stretch in BOTH games in leading his team to 2 wins. Meanwhile Oladipo was a no show in a game where IU could have clinched an outright B1G championship at home, scored only 7 points and fouled out. Yeah, that was a POY performance...

One more thing to think about. Take Oladipo away from IU and they are still contending for the B1G. i don't think you could say the same for Michigan if you take Burke away.

IMO, regardless of the outcome on Sunday, the race for POY has been over for a while now if you ask me.
  • If any consideration is given most valuable then Burke should easily win. I am an unabashed lover of Burke's all-around game. Scoring ability, solid defender and the fact that he has a nearly 4 to 1 assist to turnover ratio given how much he needs (yes, needs) to handle the ball is amazing. Even Bilas is on board with Burke as POY.
  • When they talk about the heisman, they say you need those defining moments to seperate yourself from the rest. Well, I think Burke now how 3 under his belt (with 2 coming in the last 2 games).

Burke had a crucial block against O$U with time winding down in OT, he had that historic rip against Appling with the slam to follow, and just recently he had a stat line of 22 PTs, and 3 assists in the final 12 minutes in a must win game against Purdue.

I don't think this race is even close against Oladipo. I think Otto Porter is his only competition.
  • Oladipo's defining moment was a missed dunk in the Michigan game and a classless uncontested dunk as the buzzer went off when Michigan players had already started for the bench also in the Michigan game... [8|]
  • C’monnnnn man! Definitely Oladipo. Burke shoots the ball twice as much as Oladipo yet shoots 49% versus Oladipo’s 67%. Big difference. If Oladipo shot anywhere near as much as Burke does he would average 20+ per game and lead the Big 10. Plus Oladipo has been a game changing defender and will probably get the defensive player of the year. Burke is a great player and more than likely it will come down to who has the better game Sunday and who wins.

Here's the response I got back from my Indiana buddy when I asked him...

Go Blue!!
  • Your IU buddy got one thing right...

Oladipo will win Defensive POY, but POY is going to Burke.

Trey was on the Jim Rome Shoe today and he said all the right things as well as getting some of that Rome karma before the big game on Sunday...
  • How did Oladipo do against OSU in the first game and against Michigan and MSU? Check his stats. He has had many more than 3 defining moments this year. Not impressed with what Burke did against Purdue the other night as the guy he was guarding had a career high 32 on him. Keep in mind IU beat Purdue by a combined 75 points or something like that. They're both great players. Oladipo is the catalyst on what will be the outright winner of the toughest conference in the country come Sunday. Burke is the leader who let MI get blown out by MSU who IU beat twice and also allowed his team to lose to lowly Penn St. Oladipo is going to set an NCAA record as far as tips/deflections in a season and so he affects the game in so many more ways than Shoot It, I mean Burke.

More from my IU buddy...I didn't know we already lost to IU this Sunday.

Go Blue!!
  • Hate to say it but your buddy does have some valid points, except the IU beating Michigan twice one!  [;)]

GO BLUE!
  • To me, the best players make the other players around him better. (Jordan-Pippen, Gretzky-Kurri, etc)  Which one of these guys makes the guys around him better?  (Serious question as I've only been able to watch 5 or 6 M games and only 1 IU game.)
  • TK23Blue wrote:

To me, the best players make the other players around him better. (Jordan-Pippen, Gretzky-Kurri, etc)  Which one of these guys makes the guys around him better?  (Serious question as I've only been able to watch 5 or 6 M games and only 1 IU game.)

Well considering Burke is not only scoring nearly 20 ppg, he's dishing out 7 assists/game to go along with it.  That's basically equivalent to Burke accounting for nearly 35 ppg for Michigan.  To me, that would be considered making the players around him better.  Oladipo is averaging just 2 assists/game fwiw...
  • TK23Blue wrote:

To me, the best players make the other players around him better. (Jordan-Pippen, Gretzky-Kurri, etc)  Which one of these guys makes the guys around him better?  (Serious question as I've only been able to watch 5 or 6 M games and only 1 IU game.)

Well considering Burke is not only scoring nearly 20 ppg, he's dishing out 7 assists/game to go along with it.  That's basically equivalent to Burke accounting for nearly 35 ppg for Michigan.  To me, that would be considered making the players around him better.  Oladipo is averaging just 2 assists/game fwiw...

Burke wins hands down in the stats column I think.  But the problem is (or at least in the games I've watched) when he's off or not at his best, nobody else steps up and plays to a new level, the biggest reason this team is going to have a very difficult time making a run in the tourney.  But I'm probably mixing 2 different things.  It's not Burke's fault that he's basically a one man show on most nights.  I've only watched the game we played against IU and Oladipo was impressive and yeah I'm a homer on this one but for my money I'd take Burke.
  • If anything, the fact that Michigan tanks when Burke doesn't play well bolsters the case for POY.
  • TK23Blue wrote:

IU fans will argue that Vic makes the players around him better by being a defensive force and causing turnovers. Which is a valid point.
    Burke on the other hand, sets up the offense. As we saw the other night, when Trey was not able to get into the lane and put up shots, our outside shooters struggled. Fast forward to the second half comeback, Burke is getting in the lane, getting fouled and able to pass out to pen shooters who knock down shots to get the win for us.

• No way Burke gets POY now.  Hell, I wouldn't even vote for him.

• If he makes the FT's it's his...not anymore.

Go Blue!!
  • 1-3 in that department..Lets not forget timmy's oh for 2 there also. 7-13 overall, UNECEPTABLE. Up 5 with 52 seconds left...Goodbye b1g player of the year for Trey. And fwiw why not have anyone on the foul lines? maybe a tap out or something..yeah i know dont want to foul them...How'd it work out for us anyway?
  • Burke has good reason to come back next year now. Why leave when you can't close out the game to win the regular season title. We'll probably end up dropping the second round game or if we'll lucky a thrid game to IU in the B1G tourney, and then close out the season with a loss in the NCAA's.
      Burke has improved, but he needs another year to show he can lead his team to titles.

At least IU will be losing 4 starters and playing with a bunch of freshman and unproven players next year
  • I'm sure he's off to the NBA but it'll be a mistake.  Burke still makes a ton of mistakes and bad decisions.  He's young so it's expected but I think another year of college would be a big benefit.  Well ok, for Michigan too. ;)
  • I'd still give it to Burke, but I'm a homer.  lulz
  • I think Zeller should be POY. He leads the team that won the toughest conference in basketball in scoring and rebounding. He does so many things to make IU work both offensively and defensively and was the preseason POY.

Go Blue!!

• I think Zeller should be POY. He leads the team that won the toughest conference in basketball in scoring and rebounding. He does so many things to make IU work both offensively and defensively and was the preseason POY.

Go Blue!!

I completely agree with this!

GO BLUE!

• Your crazy if you think they will give defensive poy to anyone but Craft!!  as much as I hate to say it.
  • I too was also wondering why not put guys on the line?  May of even given the shooters a bit of a comfort feeling not to mention a long rebound.
  • [link]http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=9042027[/link]

Burke named POY by media and coaches. Congrats to him!

Go Blue!!
  • Burke brings it home!!! I just hope this doesn't make him happy and he decides to prove his case in the tournaments.
  • do they have a national player of the year?
  • cool.  What are his chances at that I wonder........
  • [link=http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=katz_andy&id=9039611&src=desktop]http://m.espn.go.com/gene...id=9039611&src=desktop[/link]

ESPN Andy Katz' ballot:

1. Victor Oladipo, Indiana
    2. Trey Burke, Michigan
    3. Doug McDermott, Creighton
    4. Otto Porter Jr., Georgetown

Go Blue!!
  • how can you be NPOY when you can't even win your own conferences POY.  Dumb