Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Indiana cuts down the nets after last night's loss

[quote]
That was Indiana's surreal, stubborn statement on the big picture of the season. The net-cutting followed a Big Ten championship trophy presentation, plus championship hats for the players. The Hoosiers had clinched a tie for the league title on Sunday, when Wisconsin and Michigan State both lost, and this was the first public opportunity to flaunt that fact. 

But the celebration came as a jarring juxtaposition after a 67-58 upset loss to Ohio State – a demoralizing outcome that prevented the Hoosiers from clinching their first outright Big Ten title in 20 years and loosened their grip on a user-friendly NCAA tournament path through the Midwest Regional in Indianapolis.
[/quote]

[link=http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--indiana-hoosiers-wins-share-big-ten-title-turn-senior-night-into-a-mockery-081319430.html]http://sports.yahoo.com/n...mockery-081319430.html[/link]

Comments

•  
    That was Indiana's surreal, stubborn statement on the big picture of the season. The net-cutting followed a Big Ten championship trophy presentation, plus championship hats for the players. The Hoosiers had clinched a tie for the league title on Sunday, when Wisconsin and Michigan State both lost, and this was the first public opportunity to flaunt that fact. 

But the celebration came as a jarring juxtaposition after a 67-58 upset loss to Ohio State – a demoralizing outcome that prevented the Hoosiers from clinching their first outright Big Ten title in 20 years and loosened their grip on a user-friendly NCAA tournament path through the Midwest Regional in Indianapolis.

[link=http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--indiana-hoosiers-wins-share-big-ten-title-turn-senior-night-into-a-mockery-081319430.html]http://sports.yahoo.com/n...mockery-081319430.html[/link]
  • Being in the Indianapolis area, I have to put up with dillusional IU fans who feel they are the cream of the crop every year. I had predicted that they would go 0-5 in the last road games (Ill, osu, msu, minny, Michigan), and so far they are 2-2, but the home loss to ohio hurts them.
      I want nothing more than for Michigan to take care of Purdue tonight and then put down IU on Sunday to get a share of the championship. What would be worse than to cut down your nets and then close out the season with 2 straight losses.
  • Dd Michigan cut down the nets last year when they won a share of their first B1G regular season title in forever?

I just thought it was kind of weird to be celebrating like they did after a loss.
  • I thought it was sad and embarrassing. 

• Dd Michigan cut down the nets last year when they won a share of their first B1G regular season title in forever?

I just thought it was kind of weird to be celebrating like they did after a loss.
    Don't think we got the chance to. We officially won a share of the title after our final home game.
  • Are they freaking kidding??  This sounds like a headline that would be fit for The Onion.... what a joke.
  • I wouldn't cut down the nets if I was SHARING a title win or lose.
  • I agree MichFan.  They had a chance to clinch an outright B1G regular season title with a win last night at home on senior night.  They win, cut the nets down by all means.  But they didn't.  Seems kind of a shallow thing to do to hand out hats and a trophy and cut nets down after a freaking loss?!
  • If you were a FR on that 10-21 team years ago and 1-17 in the conference, wouldn't you want to celebrate this achievement?

Go Blue!!
  • I'd be pissed that my team lost and wouldnt want to, yet they did at least share a B1G crown so the hell what, look at our lazy assed team B1G on the line we continue to play like prima-donna's no D, no heart,sad
  • The reasoning that I heard on sports stations here in Indy, was that Crean wants the team to get used to cutting down nets and I guess it is an IU tradition. They wanted a chance for the fans to enjoy it (even though it took place at like 1am) and seeing where they had come from, they felt the team deserved to do it.
      My opinoin, save that kind of celebration for when you win the game and can celebrate with some joy. I hope on Sunday, Michigan pulls out the win and then shows IU what it's like to cut down the nets after a victory.
  • I saw some highlights of the senior day festivities before the game.   I've never seen stuff like this, all the players were giving speeches about the first time they showed up on campus and met each other and stuff.  Is that typical of senior day?  I always assumed you just came to center court and got a round of applause and took some pictures.

• If you were a FR on that 10-21 team years ago and 1-17 in the conference, wouldn't you want to celebrate this achievement?

Go Blue!!

I sure would.  In the locker room.  But if my coach told me to cut down the nets after getting my ass handed to me by Ohio I would have told him HE can cut 'em down.  I'm taking a shower.  Then I'd go home and get hammered with my buddies. ;)
  • WolvyMike wrote:

I saw some highlights of the senior day festivities before the game.   I've never seen stuff like this, all the players were giving speeches about the first time they showed up on campus and met each other and stuff.  Is that typical of senior day?  I always assumed you just came to center court and got a round of applause and took some pictures.

This is an IU tradition that was started by Bobby Knight.