Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

@IU on 2-2-13

I know we have a game against Northwestern on Wednesday, but the game this Saturday at Indiana is going to be absolutely crazy.  What is everyones thoughts on this game?  I feel like we are actually going to win this game.  I think it is going to be close, but I think we simply have the better team with better depth, especially if Morgan can play (don't know the extent yet of that ankle, it looked like a pretty bad sprain).  I CAN NOT WAIT until Saturday.  What do you all think its gonna take to get this "W"?

Go Blue!!!!!

Comments

• I know we have a game against Northwestern on Wednesday, but the game this Saturday at Indiana is going to be absolutely crazy.  What is everyones thoughts on this game?  I feel like we are actually going to win this game.  I think it is going to be close, but I think we simply have the better team with better depth, especially if Morgan can play (don't know the extent yet of that ankle, it looked like a pretty bad sprain).  I CAN NOT WAIT until Saturday.  What do you all think its gonna take to get this "W"?

Go Blue!!!!!
  • Agreed. I think we're the better team, but it's going to come down to whether we can put up the points like we did yesterday, and I think we will. Cody Zeller hasn't been as effective as I thought he would be, and after seeing Horford's effort, combined with McGary, I think we'll be fine. Assembly is a TOUGH place to play, and it'll be going crazy. If they don't let the game get out of hand early like tOSU, we've got a great chance to win.

But let's beat NU first, then worry about IU.[;)]
  • It's going to be a crazy game. IU is playing well, though against tougher teams (Minny, NW, MSU) they have not played complete games and have escaped with wins. Their bench play has been nothing less than horrible. Sheehey is basically their only contributor, as of late.
    They will go to Zeller often, because he's good and to test our big men. Mitch will have to play up to his size and not go for the shot fakes that Cody throws at him. Oladipo his being talked up down here (they feel he is ready for the NBA, though I disagree). I think Tim will be a good match-up for him and show he's not quite at the level Hoosier fans think.
      Watford has the size and can hit from outside, but GR3 will be able to keep him honest. Nic and Hulls is a mismatch size wise. They both can hit from outside. Freshman PG Yogi is playing well, but Burke will be the first top PG he has gone up against. I expect the freshman will have plenty of notes after the game.
       All in all, it's going to be a tough game. By far the loudest and craziest gym that Michigan has played in this year. IU will want to get the win to vault them back to #1. I think Assembly Hall alone gives IU 10 points. Our bench will have to come up big for us to get this win. IU will play 9-10 deep but after Sheehey and Abell, they have nothing.
       Michigan wins by 2.
  • This game will be even tougher due to the 9pm start- with Gameday there, the fans will have been drinking all day. Not to mention (this from an IU diehard in my company, which is in Indiana) that, if Gameday sends their usual group, this will be the FIRST TIME Bob Knight has been in Assembly Hall since he was their coach. They still go nuts down there when they show old shots of him on the bench on their video boards, so this can't help.

i just hope we get off to a decent start and don't let the environment get to our guys before they have a chance to settle into the rythm of the game. If we can do that, we'll at least have a chance to win.

• IMO, this is a must win.  We lost to TSDS and really needed to win that game just to prove a point.  Now we desperately need to beat an opponent of Indiana's caliber to prove that Michigan is undoubtedly a top tier team.  At this point our boys are fighting for the B1G and a number one seed in the Tourney.  Time to step up and beat the best at their house!

GO BLUE!
  • This is hardly a must win.  If this game were in AA, then I'd say it would be more of a must win because you have to win your home games.  But, having already won @ Minny and @ Illinois lessens the burden to have to win games like this one.  If we win @ IU, that would be HUGE, but even if we lose, we are by no means out of the B1G title chase. 

If the winner of the B1G in the end has fewer than 4 losses, I'd be shocked...
  • Edub4Blue wrote:

IMO, this is a must win.  We lost to TSDS and really needed to win that game just to prove a point.  Now we desperately need to beat an opponent of Indiana's caliber to prove that Michigan is undoubtedly a top tier team.  At this point our boys are fighting for the B1G and a number one seed in the Tourney.  Time to step up and beat the best at their house!

GO BLUE!

I don't agree that it's a must win. I think Michigan has already proven a point by winning at Minnesota and Illinois. If those two play like they were earlier in the season, I don't see IU, Ohio, MSU or Wisconsin winning on the road. Those two road wins could have determined the Big Ten already. Michigan just needs to keep winning the home games and if we drop a couple on the road, we will still be in good shape.
  • No such thing as a *must win* for a 19-1 Michigan team (or any team for that matter) in early Feb. Will it help their psyche...sure. Must win...no.

Go Blue!!

• Living here in Indianapolis and with my dislike for cocky IU fans, this feels like ohio week during football season. I'm pulling out the car flags, the banners, everything that will show I'm a Hoosier cheering for the Wolverines.

[link=http://blogs.indystar.com/hoosiersinsider/2013/01/31/indiana-basketball-i-think-its-time-for-iu-michigan/]http://blogs.indystar.com/hoosiersinsider/2013/01/31/indiana-basketball-i-think-its-time-for-iu-michigan/[/link]

GO BLUE!!!!

• No such thing as a *must win* for a 19-1 Michigan team (or any team for that matter) in early Feb. Will it help their psyche...sure. Must win...no.

Go Blue!!
    If we want to win the B1G, then I'd say it's a must win
  • WolvyMike wrote:

No such thing as a *must win* for a 19-1 Michigan team (or any team for that matter) in early Feb. Will it help their psyche...sure. Must win...no.

Go Blue!!

Again, if this game were at home I'd be more inclined to think of this as a must win. But, IMO, IU needs this game more than Michigan as they have already lost a home game to Wisky.

Looking at our respective schedules, IU still has a TON of tough roadies including Illi, OSU, MSU, Minny and Michigan. We basically have two tough roadies after tomorrow @ Wisky and @ MooU. Advantage Michigan IMO...
  • I don't think that Bobby Knight is part of the Gameday crew. If he was, there would have been tons of news coming out of the Indianapolis Star about his return.
  • WolvyMike wrote:

No such thing as a *must win* for a 19-1 Michigan team (or any team for that matter) in early Feb. Will it help their psyche...sure. Must win...no.

Go Blue!!

Not really, no.
  • we have the same conference record right now.  I don't trust any other team in the B1G to help us out and beat Indiana.   It's up to us to make our own destiny.
  • WolvyMike wrote:

we have the same conference record right now.  I don't trust any other team in the B1G to help us out and beat Indiana.   It's up to us to make our own destiny.

Wisconsin already beat them at home.  Plus, they have yet to play any of the top tier teams on the road yet.  They'll get tripped up somewhere along the line in at least one of their tough remaining roadies...

• not a chance I want to take.  It's like football season.  I hated having to root for another team to beat Nebraska so we had a chance to play for the B1G title.  It's time we control our own destiny......IMO
  • Of course you want control of your own destiny but that still doesn't make this a MUST win on Feb 2nd.  Matty is right-IU has some serious land mines to try and avoid and it's REALLY easy to take your foot off the gas against a team like Minny or Illinois and lose.  We've seen it a million times.  There's no way anyone can convince me that IU will run the table.  I need to see it.
  • I am predicting that IU will go 0-5 in the rest of their road games

AT Illinios, AT ohio, AT MSU, AT Minnesota, AT Michigan

The only road game that IU has played well in was against their bitter rival Purdue, and the Boilers don't have a legit scoring threat to go to.
  • WolvyMike wrote:

not a chance I want to take.  It's like football season.  I hated having to root for another team to beat Nebraska so we had a chance to play for the B1G title.  It's time we control our own destiny......IMO

This isn't football.  There are so many more opportunities in basketball to get tripped up along the way than there are in football.  No way IU runst the table with the gauntlet of road games they still have ahead of them...
  • Exhibit A is Kansas today losing for the first time in 33 home games.

Syracuse lost to the same Pitt team we rolled.

Go Blue!!
  • The only must wins are against Little brother and OsUcks

• The only must wins are against Little brother and OsUcks
    that kinda mentality gets you 2nd rate top 20 "wannabe" teams. Not national title contenders.

on a side note jesus christ 6 for 6 shooting to start for indiana 4/4 from 3..... GG :(
  • Jeebus Christ. Indiana has only failed to score on 1 possession thus far. Down 13.
  • Make that 2 possessions now. Need to start playing some damn defense
  • They will cool off...we just need to close the gap when that happens.

Go Blue!!
  • I hate getting down big then the comeback attempt.
  • Stauskas is killing us; dude can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Robinson with 0pts.

Michigan is 1-9 from 3.

Go Blue!!
  • 4 points down at halftime, could be a lot worse
  • BURKE for 3 to end the half. After IU shooting the sheriff the deputy and everyone else within a 50 mile radius in the first 10 minutes and then Us not playing the best half we have played this year. Going to half down 4 is huge.