UMGOBLUE.COM

To play or not play Miguel Cabrera, that is the question

I realize this belong on the Tigers board but I`m guessing most don't know we have a Tigers board much less have been there. Plus this topic will be pretty much moot in a few hours.

So the question is, what should Jim Leyland do with Miggy tonight?

Comments

• I realize this belong on the Tigers board but I`m guessing most don't know we have a Tigers board much less have been there. Plus this topic will be pretty much moot in a few hours.

So the question is, what should Jim Leyland do with Miggy tonight?
  • Play him. Guys like being in a rhythm and taking a couple days off could screw that up. They are slotted 3rd and don't play until Saturday so that's too much time off. Plus, he'll only play 4-5 innings, get 2-3 ABs and be done. I would play him!

Go Tigers!!
  • Play him for 2-3 at bats unless Hamilton hit two HRs-they play earlier in the day. The RBIs and batting championships are basically in his pocket already.
  • play.....I wouldn't want to make history sitting on the bench
  • He plays.  Period.  Agree with you guys- 2 or 3 AB's and see what happens.  The real crime in this thing is the fact that this is getting zero national attention.  If this were happening in NY or BOS it would the ONLY thing we'd be hearing about, every second of every freakin' day.  But because it's Detroit, it gets nothing.  It's only the first Triple Crown in 45 years but hey, no big deal.  What a joke. 
  • My opinion on baseball in general is that your first two options in the poll are essentially the same thing.
  • EvilEmpire wrote:

This is a football forum....

1. Correction.  This is a MICHIGAN football forum and Miggy just happens to play in the state of MICHIGAN, which means people are interested. 
    2. We're coming off a bye week with nothing else to talk about except nonsense. (have you read what's on here this week?)
    3. Who died and left you boss?  If you don't like the thread DON'T CLICK ON IT.  Why is that so difficult for people to understand?
  • TK23Blue wrote:
    EvilEmpire wrote:

1. Correction.  This is a MICHIGAN football forum and Miggy just happens to play in the state of MICHIGAN, which means people are interested. 
    2. We're coming off a bye week with nothing else to talk about except nonsense. (have you read what's on here this week?)
    3. Who died and left you boss?  If you don't like the thread DON'T CLICK ON IT.  Why is that so difficult for people to understand?
    Personally, TK, I think this weeks nonsense has been far less nonsensical than last weeks nonsense.
  • Chris_TX wrote:
    TK23Blue wrote:
    EvilEmpire wrote:

Personally, TK, I think this weeks nonsense has been far less nonsensical than last weeks nonsense.
    Yeah, I think that probably make sense.  But since we're on the topic I get the sense there will always be a certain level of nonsensical nonsense, which would make sense.  But hey, just my 2 cents. ;)
  • Michigan fans are full of piss and vinegar this morning on the board...

Go Blue!!

• Michigan fans are full of piss and vinegar this morning on the board...

Go Blue!!

Ha ha.  I've been away for a while-trying to make up for lost time.;)
  • I`m apparently one of the few who say Miggy should sit. What this really comes down to are HRs, the other two stats are decided. My thing is this, say Hamilton hits a HR today. Are we just going to send Miggy out and let him swing for the fences every time? 44 HRs seems like a lot but when you average that out over 162 games and add in multi-HR games, we're talking about a low chance of Miggy hitting a HR.

Miggy has played 160-162 games, today would be 161. I`m sure he wants to play, I know most fans want him to play, but I`m not quite sure that its in the long term best interest of the Tigers for Miggy to go out and hit fly balls all night. I know history is on the line but a large part of me doesn't want to risk Miggy getting hurt, or flat out not being rested.
  • Whenever a question like this comes up, I think of the legendary story of Ted Williams' pursuit of .400 and how he could've sat on the last day of the 1941 season and finished at .400. He decided to play, went 6/8 in a doubleheader and finished at .406.

Moral of the story: play the game you're paid to play and let the numbers work themselves out.
  • TK23Blue wrote:

Michigan fans are full of piss and vinegar this morning on the board...

Go Blue!!

Ha ha.  I've been away for a while-trying to make up for lost time.;)

Lighten up Francis... :)

Go Blue!!
  • If Hamilton knocks out 2 HR's in game 163 to pass Fatty I will be PISSED....

Go Tigers!!
  • I see no reason to rest him.  It's not like this is a contact sport where you're risking injury by running him out there.  I could see resting a pitcher to set up your rotation, but to rest a postition player?

• I wonder if Leyland will consider playing Miggy at DH.
  • zjgm02 wrote:

Whenever a question like this comes up, I think of the legendary story of Ted Williams' pursuit of .400 and how he could've sat on the last day of the 1941 season and finished at .400. He decided to play, went 6/8 in a doubleheader and finished at .406.

Moral of the story: play the game you're paid to play and let the numbers work themselves out.

This is apples to oranges IMO. Williams was not preparing himself to play in the playoffs and Miggy is. He has played in almost every game this season so there is no way one should say he backed into this. I agree though that Williams showed a lot by playing the doubleheader.

• If Hamilton knocks out 2 HR's in game 163 to pass Fatty I will be PISSED....

Go Tigers!!

The 163rd game is considered a playoff game and does not count for regular season stats. SORRY just read an article--this game would count in the regular game stats. I do not understand that logic however.
  • Miggy is playing tonite and at 3rd base.
  • Hamilton failed to hit a HR tonight.

It's BS that the 1 game playoff counts as regular season stats wise.
  • YEAH BABY!!!!!!  MIGGY IS THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1