UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

JoePa was considering removing PSU from the Big Ten after the 2005 Michigan loss.

[link=http://www.freep.com/article/20120818/SPORTS06/120818027/michigan-wolverines-penn-state-joe-paterno-loss-2005-leave-big-ten?odyssey=tab]http://www.freep.com/arti...ve-big-ten?odyssey=tab[/link]|topnews|text|Michigan%20Wolverines

And we now know that should have been the least of JoePa's worries. I wish he had taken PSU out of the Big Ten. JoePa just got out coached by Carr on that 2 seconds. If sure if the officials didn't agree with Carr the time wouldn't have been added. 

Comments

• [link=http://www.freep.com/article/20120818/SPORTS06/120818027/michigan-wolverines-penn-state-joe-paterno-loss-2005-leave-big-ten?odyssey=tab]http://www.freep.com/arti...ve-big-ten?odyssey=tab[/link]|topnews|text|Michigan%20Wolverines

And we now know that should have been the least of JoePa's worries. I wish he had taken PSU out of the Big Ten. JoePa just got out coached by Carr on that 2 seconds. If sure if the officials didn't agree with Carr the time wouldn't have been added. 
  • That's the thing though. The time SHOULD have been added. I hate when fans blame the refs and Carr for that. He had a legit complaint. I remember yelling at the TV that time should've been added.
  • It was the right call but JoPa always whined about something when he lost to Michigan. I know that there is a contingent of Penn State alums who have never been happy with the move to the Big Ten. I had thought that when JoPa retired/passed away they might try to convince PSU to leave the B10.
  • I remember how psu fans were saying they will dominate the big 10 well we all see how that went
  • PSU was fraudulent from the time they entered the conference.  I predicted correctly they would get humbled pretty quickly once they had to play a Big Ten schedule by the same rules the rest of the conference had to follow.  ecembrew1 was right, PSU thought they were going to be in the Rose Bowl every year and the Paterno-worshipping media said Paterno State was going to break up the Big Two-Little Eight.  They sure did that all right.  They turned the conference into the Big Two-Little Nine.  They should be kicked out of the conference for fraud.  They said they were going to provide national championship contenders regularly but all they provide regularly is a third-rate football team.  Plus they cheated and the Sandusky thing.
  • I have said it before and I will say it again, I would have no problem with the Big 10 expelling PSU!

GO BLUE!

• PSU was fraudulent from the time they entered the conference.  I predicted correctly they would get humbled pretty quickly once they had to play a Big Ten schedule by the same rules the rest of the conference had to follow.  ecembrew1 was right, PSU thought they were going to be in the Rose Bowl every year and the Paterno-worshipping media said Paterno State was going to break up the Big Two-Little Eight.  They sure did that all right.  They turned the conference into the Big Two-Little Nine.  They should be kicked out of the conference for fraud.  They said they were going to provide national championship contenders regularly but all they provide regularly is a third-rate football team.  Plus they cheated and the Sandusky thing.

If we're talking football, I wouldn't consider them a fraud.  Please.  Their first 7 years in the Big Ten they won 10, 12, 9, 11, 9, 9, and 10 games with a 6-1 record in bowl games.  In fact, they were practically the only Big Ten team who could seem to win a bowl game.  They declined since then with only a couple good years in the past 12 or so, and yes, only one Big Ten Championship since 1993 isn't impressive but they're far from a fraud.  If people want to boot them from the Big Ten due to the Sandusky scandal, that's an entirely different conversation and I get it.  But if we're going to boot schools from the Big Ten based on their play, you can start with Indiana and work up from there.  PSU isn't on the list.  They've been good for Big Ten FOOTBALL.  However, there's no doubt this whole scandal pretty much erases that and it's hard to separate the two, so I get it.  But to say they turned the conference into the Big 2-Little 9??  Not exactly.  Who are the Big 2?
  • Yes psu did well early in the big ten, the faded well to, with only a few positive blips here and there.
  • The Big 2 of the Big Ten has always been Michigan and Ohio State.  Even in those good years tk quoted when PSU was getting a week off before Michigan or Ohio State, who were they losing to each year?  They were losing to at least one of the Big 2 pretty much each year, if not both.  Once Paterno State had to start playing an actual Big Ten schedule without an automatic week off before Michigan or Ohio State, how did they do then?  Yep, when Paterno State was forced to play by the same rules as everybody else, they fell into the pack with the rest of the Little 9.  Paterno was a game and change over .500 in the conference per year in his last decade.  So yes, Paterno State was very much a fraud.  They sold themselves to the conference as providing a perennial national championship contender.  Barely above .500 in your conference is not a perennial national championship contender.  Paterno worship by the media and fans (not just PSU fans at that) was the only thing giving Paterno State a national presence since the late 90s. 

• The Big 2 of the Big Ten has always been Michigan and Ohio State.  Even in those good years tk quoted when PSU was getting a week off before Michigan or Ohio State, who were they losing to each year?  They were losing to at least one of the Big 2 pretty much each year, if not both.  Once Paterno State had to start playing an actual Big Ten schedule without an automatic week off before Michigan or Ohio State, how did they do then?  Yep, when Paterno State was forced to play by the same rules as everybody else, they fell into the pack with the rest of the Little 9.  Paterno was a game and change over .500 in the conference per year in his last decade.  So yes, Paterno State was very much a fraud.  They sold themselves to the conference as providing a perennial national championship contender.  Barely above .500 in your conference is not a perennial national championship contender.  Paterno worship by the media and fans (not just PSU fans at that) was the only thing giving Paterno State a national presence since the late 90s. 
    The big 2 of the Big Ten was always Michigan and Ohio...like, 30 years ago.  Michigan hasn't dominated the Big Ten in a LOOONG time so that whole idea is out the window.  We have what, 2 championships since 2000?  Pateno didn't want anything to do with the Big Ten due to it's ties to the Rose Bowl but he had no choice.  The money got too big with TV contracts and alike and PSU wouldn't be able to compete.  But to say Penn State is a fraud is ridiculous.  They're 96-56 in the Big Ten with 3 championships and a 10-6 bowl record since they joined.  (a better bowl record than Michigan AND Ohio)   
  • ^ Paterno didn't want anything to do with the Big Ten?  You just forfeited any credibility on the subject of Paterno and Paterno State University with that one sentence.  If Paterno didn't want to be in the Big Ten, PSU would not have been in it, period.  And again, Paterno State was sold to the conference as being a perennial national championship contender, they were supposed to make the conference the Big Three and Little Eight.  Instead they got owned by Michigan and tuos for more than a decade, spent the last decade and little more averaging a game and change above .500 in the conference, while the Big Ten championship was decided in the tuos-UM game a lot of those years.  PSU hasn't been a regular fixture at the top of the polls since their early days in the conference.  If that isn't a fraud I don't know what is. 

• ^ Paterno didn't want anything to do with the Big Ten?  You just forfeited any credibility on the subject of Paterno and Paterno State University with that one sentence.  If Paterno didn't want to be in the Big Ten, PSU would not have been in it, period.  And again, Paterno State was sold to the conference as being a perennial national championship contender, they were supposed to make the conference the Big Three and Little Eight.  Instead they got owned by Michigan and tuos for more than a decade, spent the last decade and little more averaging a game and change above .500 in the conference, while the Big Ten championship was decided in the tuos-UM game a lot of those years.  PSU hasn't been a regular fixture at the top of the polls since their early days in the conference.  If that isn't a fraud I don't know what is. 

Do you even have a clue what you're talking about or do you just pull it out of your a$$?  Try doing some homework on the subject and not just reading message boards and blogs.  I'm going to let you figure why Paterno didn't originally want to be part of the Big Ten or any other conference.  And wow, how convenient that you want to use just the LAST 10 years of PSU's record and leave out the first 10.  Lame.

Jim Boeheim doesn't want to be the ACC. Guess what, he`s packing up those orange jerseys anyway.