UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Is Lids retiring...?

[link=http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=633230]http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=633230[/link]

Comments

• I HIGHLY doubt he's calling a presser to announce he's returning.  That wouldn't be like Nick at all.  Nope, I think he's loooong gone.
  • Sad to say, this likely means he's gone.  This one doesn't hit quite as hard as Stevie Y, but it's a close second.
  • Just saw that...figured this would be the case.  Accomplished a few things during his career.

Tough call on the 'C'...no one really stepped up this year to show me they are ready.  But you'd have to think Hank might be in line, right?

Go Wings!!

• Just saw that...figured this would be the case.  Accomplished a few things during his career.

Tough call on the 'C'...no one really stepped up this year to show me they are ready.  But you'd have to think Hank might be in line, right?

Go Wings!!
    I would like to see Dats.  More in the mold of Stevie, leads by example.  Z is likely in the conversation as well and I think you could throw Kronner in there too.
  • I assume Holmstrom is gone too. Talk about some money to spend this summer.

Go Wings!!
  • He's done... Thanks Nick, it's been magical.

As far as a captain is concerned, Z has long been considered the next captain but I'd prefer Dats. No way I'd give it to Kronner, he's good as an Alternate at best.
  • End of a great era that few defenseman could match.
  • Greatest defenseman in my lifetime and I've seen a few.  Top 3 all-time.  We've been big time spoiled that's for sure.

I like Dats too but I have a feeling it'll be Z.  Dats is pretty reserved and there may be a language barrier.  Could be tough for him.  Z is pretty reserved too so neither really strike me as captain material.  Then again, Stevie was a quiet guy and look how that worked out.  He didn't say much but when he did everybody listened and responded.  I'm betting Z but hey, let's throw out some other names-how 'bout Bert or Helmer?
  • Helmer will now retire it should be Z.
  • umgoblue14 wrote:

Helmer will now retire it should be Z.

I'm not talking Homer.  He NEEDS to retire.  I mean Helmer as in Darren Helm.
  • Sorry I was not thinking feel sad that Lidstrom is retiring. Helm IMO too young. Capt Z. Alt Datzuk Kronwell Bert
  • Here's my wish list for Captain/Alternates next year:

Dats - C
    Z - A
    Kronner / Suter - A ( need a D man wearing a letter)
    Nash / Parise - A

Bert is too old, Helm would work too but who do you take the C or A from ?
  • Top 5 of all time IMO:

Orr
    Lidstrom
    Harvey
    Bourque
    Robinson
  • We should have some good money to spend, I just don't want to see Holland overspend.  I like Suter, but not at $7M a year.  He's probably a $4M per year guy.  I also think we're a long shot for Parise.  If NJ wins the cup, he'll be in Minnesota.  If they don't, he'll end up with the Rangers, Pens etc...

Who else does Holland have his eye on this summer?

Go Wings!!

• We should have some good money to spend, I just don't want to see Holland overspend.  I like Suter, but not at $7M a year.  He's probably a $4M per year guy.  I also think we're a long shot for Parise.  If NJ wins the cup, he'll be in Minnesota.  If they don't, he'll end up with the Rangers, Pens etc...

Go Wings!!
    Unfortunately, no one worth mentioning.
    Jason Garrison, Florida: good size (6-foot-2, 210), but only one good year
    Dennis Wideman, Washington: inconsistent
    Matt Carle, Philadelphia: overrated
    Filip Kuba, Ottawa: 35 - no thanks
    Barret Jackman, St. Louis: 31 - would add some grit and size
    Brad Stuart, Detroit: Cali bound unless SJ or LA doesn't want him
    Justin Schultz: interesting option, will not sign with the Ducks, 25, former Badger, good friends with B. Smith, never played in the NHL yet though

On offense, after Parise there's a huge a dropoff in quality talent.  There may be some good 3rd or 4th liners to add some size, but no one that stands out as a definite top 6.  With the retirements and resigning of some of the younger guys (Quincey, Helmer, Abby), I read where the Wings will have 21 players signed for around $50 mil.  The cap last year was 64.3 mil and is expected to go up to 70.  Kenny should have around 14 -20 mil to play with.  That's enough to entice both the biggest names as a package deal (rumored they may want this since they're both US born and good friends).  My wish/fantasy is to see Nash in the winged wheel, but that would have to be done via trade, sign Suter, then fill in the rest.
  • umgoblue14 wrote:

Top 5 of all time IMO:

Orr
    Lidstrom
    Harvey
    Bourque
    Robinson

I'm going:
    Lidstrom
    Orr
    Harvey
    Bourque
    Potvin

I have Lidstrom #1 simply due to 20 years, rarely missed a game ever, and won 4 cups.  Orr changed the position entirely but he just didn't play enough games or have that consistency.  It's a tough one but Lidstrom is a better defensive defenseman than Orr was.  Lidstrom was the best defensive player than anyone on this list period.
  • TK23Blue wrote:
    umgoblue14 wrote:

Top 5 of all time IMO:

Orr
    Lidstrom
    Harvey
    Bourque
    Robinson

I'm going:
    Lidstrom
    Orr
    Harvey
    Bourque
    Potvin

I have Lidstrom #1 simply due to 20 years, rarely missed a game ever, and won 4 cups.  Orr changed the position entirely but he just didn't play enough games or have that consistency.  It's a tough one but Lidstrom is a better defensive defenseman than Orr was.  Lidstrom was the best defensive player than anyone on this list period.
    [link=http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/05/nicklas_lidstroms_career_by_th.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+detroit-redwings+(Detroit+Red+Wings+-+MLive.com)&utm_content=Netvibes]http://www.mlive.com/redw...p;utm_content=Netvibes[/link]
    Great article covering all his milestones.
    1564 regular season games, 263 playoff games, only missed 46

Go Wings!!
    Justin Schultz: interesting option, will not sign with the Ducks, 25, former Badger, good friends with B. Smith, never played in the NHL yet though

On offense, after Parise there's a huge a dropoff in quality talent.  There may be some good 3rd or 4th liners to add some size, but no one that stands out as a definite top 6.  With the retirements and resigning of some of the younger guys (Quincey, Helmer, Abby), I read where the Wings will have 21 players signed for around $50 mil.  The cap last year was 64.3 mil and is expected to go up to 70.  Kenny should have around 14 -20 mil to play with.  That's enough to entice both the biggest names as a package deal (rumored they may want this since they're both US born and good friends).  My wish/fantasy is to see Nash in the winged wheel, but that would have to be done via trade, sign Suter, then fill in the rest.

You've pretty much covered it here.  If we want Suter we will have to over-spend.  Same goes with Parise (who I don't think we'll come close to getting.)  So it's basically Suter and a bunch of role players that are available.  Helene St. James is wetting herself over Justin Schultz like this kid is the 2nd coming of Bobby Orr, but he hasn't played a game in the NHL and is a complete unknown entity.  On offense there's Alexander Semin.  Decent point getter but a complete headcase and potential cancer in the locker room.  Basically, we have the hot car with tons of cash but can't find the hot chick to go with it.  We could very easily end up worse off than last year now that Nick is done.
  • Suter wouldn't be a typical $ 7 million guy but with the cap going up and an absence of decent FA defensemen, he's going to get it.  He's not a $4 million guy either though.  All things being equal, he should be in the $6 million range (remember what Wiz got from the BlowJackets last year?).   I'd overpay to get him and hope he likes Detroit more than someone else offering comparable money.... the consequences of going into next year with the D we have and only bringing in spare parts instead of a solid guy means no playoffs.
  • I think Jackman would be a better than good replacement for Stuart (assuming Stu leaves, which is likely). They put up similar #'s point-wise but Jackman plays bigger than he is while Stuart plays smaller than he is.   Stuart was a disaster in the playoffs this year.  I like Jackman's edge-no matter who cruises thru his crease they're going to get a slash and a face wash.  I like that.  Get him and Suter and I'll feel a little better about losing Nick.  A little better. 

Go Wings!!

Not a lot of super exciting names on that list...

Parise and Suter became friends when they played together for the US Development team in Ann Arbor at age 17.  I can see them going to the same team, but it's not a for sure combo package.  And I don't think money will be the issues with Parise.  Every team he wants to go to can offer him the same amount of money.  If he wins a ring this year, he'll come home to MN.  He just build a house there and wants to play in his home state to help build a championship team.  But now that he's made it to the finals and has a taste (if he doesn't win the cup) there's no way he's going to MN to try and build a team.  He'll go somewhere he thinks he has the best chance to win a cup (aka Hossa).  But I think he'll sign more than just a 1 year deal.  I would love to see Nash in Detroit as well.  But that's a pipe dream.

Go Wings!!
  • If Kenny can get both Parise and Sutter, holy cow. What a job. However, if I had to pick ONE that I think Kenny will go all out for its Sutter for obvious reasons. Look for him to bolster the blue line, maybe even trying to get both Sutter and Jackmen. I think we need to add another offensive weapon, but I get the feeling Kenny will attack the blue line first, then worry about offense. 
  • I think Suter wants to come to Detroit more than Parise does so we'll see how all that shakes out...after a very quiet July 1st free for all agency, Detroit will most likely be very, very active come that time.  I would pass on Semin, he doesn't want to come to Detroit and Holland doesn't want him.

I say we overpay for Suter and go all in for Nash (meaning give up some name players to get him in Detroit).  Give Pav the 'C' and let's roll....continue to breed the nice young crop of talent we have in Grand Rapids and overseas to keep the funnel full.

Go Wings!!

• I think Suter wants to come to Detroit more than Parise does so we'll see how all that shakes out...after a very quiet July 1st free for all agency, Detroit will most likely be very, very active come that time.  I would pass on Semin, he doesn't want to come to Detroit and Holland doesn't want him.

I say we overpay for Suter and go all in for Nash (meaning give up some name players to get him in Detroit).  Give Pav the 'C' and let's roll....continue to breed the nice young crop of talent we have in Grand Rapids and overseas to keep the funnel full.

Go Wings!!
    Oh the sweet music you speak!  That's my dream.
  • I was reading somewhere that we should trade Franzen and some prospects/draft picks for Nash. I cant say that I agree 100%, but it is an interesting thought.
  • Franzen is as useless as tits on a fat girl. I wouldn't hesitate one second if another team wanted him.

Go Wings!!