Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Da'Shawn Hand (2014 DE, Woodbridge (VA)) (Alabama commit)

Comments

• Uh oh. Still a good chance but hate seeing Bama on any list.
  • "I eliminated Virginia Tech because they don't offer a sports marketing program. And with South Carolina, the professor just didn't wow us. I have the utmost respect for Virginia Tech and South Carolina, and their coaches, and wish them the best of luck.

At Michigan, the [sports marketing] program was so impressive, I wanted to sign up right there. During my visit to Alabama, I met the dean of their [sports marketing] program, and it's an excellent program. He actually played football, and he gets it. And I haven't been to Florida, yet, but I've heard their defensive coaching staff and that defensive line with coach [Brad] Lawig and coach D.J. Durkin is amazing. And Alabama's engineering program was working on a $25M project when I was down there."

He drops VT which he's seen a hundred times and adds Florida which he's not seen yet? That's strange.

Reading between the lines throughout this entire recruitment leaves to believe Michigan is in a very, very good spot.

Go Blue!!

• Definitely agree. He was obviously blown away by what Michigan has to offer. In some ways I feel like he might be trying to keep people talking/speculating like Peppers did. I thought it would be VT and Michigan down to the very end. VT getting eliminated is huge. All signs are pointing toward him ending up at Michigan. 

• Hand said he cut VT because they don't offer sports marketing as a major.

...a major that Michigan convinced him to pursue.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...................
    He's also still considering pursuing his dream of a degree in engineering. That does not work in Michigan's favor.
  • McMurtry1 wrote:

Hand said he cut VT because they don't offer sports marketing as a major.

...a major that Michigan convinced him to pursue.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...................
    He's also still considering pursuing his dream of a degree in engineering. That does not work in Michigan's favor.

If that were really true he would not have dropped VT.  VT has a great engineering program.

GO BLUE!
  • McMurtry1 is more of "glass half empty" recruiting analysis. Seen that a million times here.
  • HOW COULD A TECH SCHOOL NOT HAVE AN ENGINEERING PROGRAM....SORRY FOR THE CAPS MY JOB IS ALL CAPS
  • FWIW, apparently Bill Greene said today that he's heard Hand has been recruiting other prospects for Michigan, and could be the dreaded "silent commit."

This was also apparently debunked by GBW people (although not unequivocally so).

Just something to think about...
  • IF he is a silent commit (and that's a BIG if), I love the tactic of picking two other major programs (Alabama and Florida) as part of his final 3. That shows every other recruit that we're beating all the "big boys" head to head at this recruiting game.
  • Why is a silent commit "dreaded?"

I ask as a serious question and not to be a wise ass (I know, hard to believe). :)

Go Blue!!
  • Michigan's first real experience with "silent" commitments ended up signing with USC (Rojo) and Florida State (Dionte Allen).
  • A silent commit is no commit at all.
  • Bill Greene made his way over to the Michigan board today and relayed the news that he was told by a source he trusts that Hand is a done deal to Michigan and was recruiting for U-M at the Nike event in Columbus.

Sam Webb followed this up by saying he is not committed to Michigan but things look REALLY good.
  • Very nice especially since suckeye fans were treating him being there like he was on. A visit
  • Whatever. When he commits I will be excited. He is starting to do the recruit boogie. I have no problem with him taking as many visits as he needs but the speculation is getting out of hand.

• MgoBrett wrote:

Whatever. When he commits I will be excited. He is starting to do the recruit boogie. I have no problem with him taking as many visits as he needs but the speculation is getting out of hand.

Somehow you seem to think these two are connected?
  • MgoBrett wrote:

Whatever. When he commits I will be excited. He is starting to do the recruit boogie. I have no problem with him taking as many visits as he needs but the speculation is getting out of hand.

Hand doesn't seem like a media whore like other recruits so I wouldn't categorize that way.

Go Blue!!
  • MgoBrett wrote:

Hand doesn't seem like a media whore like other recruits so I wouldn't categorize that way.

Go Blue!!

I agree with Scottsdale.

I'm going to be through the roof if we land Hand, but at the same time, I feel like we're playing with house money in recruiting him so I'm not going to be all that upset Hand doesn't end up Blue.  Sure, I'll be disappointed, but not like I would have been had we lost Peppers this year or Green last year.  Just a couple of weeks ago, even though we were improving in our status with Hand, it seemed he was VT all the way so I never really got my expectations up on actually landing him.  And now that VT has been eliminated for now, as long as Bama is in the conversation, I'm still not going to get my hopes up too high just yet.  The news is definitely encouraging, and like I said, to land the top 2 recruits in the nation in the same class would put me through the roof!  [:D] 

Also, I love the fact that he was reportedly recruiting for Michigan at a camp in C'bus!  [:D]  Remember how cocky so many bucknuts were when Meyer took the job at OSU?  How they were all acting as if Meyer would be able to land any recruit he wanted and would recruit circles around Hoke?  That isn't looking like that will be the case now is it???  [:D]
  • I never called him a media whore. I said the speculation is getting out of hand. And bty, I will categorize any way I seem fit. Thank you, come again.
  • MgoBrett wrote:

I never called him a media whore. I said the speculation is getting out of hand. And bty, I will categorize any way I seem fit. Thank you, come again.

Wow.  I nominate this as the douchebag post of the month.  Sometimes I forget there are real tough guys on this message board.  Thank God for posts like this to remind me. 
  • So Phil, am I allowed to retaliate on this gentleman? Don't think I have ever been called a d-bag here before. Thought there were actually guidelines here.
  • MgoBrett wrote:

So Phil, am I allowed to retaliate on this gentleman? Don't think I have ever been called a d-bag here before. Thought there were actually guidelines here.
    Really?  I'm shocked.
  • MgoBrett wrote:

I never called him a media whore. I said the speculation is getting out of hand. And bty, I will categorize any way I seem fit. Thank you, come again.

Easy dude. I was just repsonding to your post with my opinion like you did. No need to get defensive. BTW, I agree with you. The hype around him hasn't been driven by his camp or himself, it's been driving by the recruiting sites.

Go Blue!!

• MgoBrett wrote:

Keep it up sh$thead.
    Thank you, I will.  First you blame the kid for taking additional visits, implying he's after attention, when, had you followed his recruitment closely at all, you'd know that to be false.  Then you criticize him for the media speculation, as if that's his fault.  And finally, when corrected, you respond like an assho1e.  So if you dislike criticism toward your slanted views on a forum, maybe you should do a little research before you show up on here shooting from the hip as if you really have a clue what's happening.  Because there are posters on here that DO know what they're talking about, and they WILL correct you. 
  • My bad Scottsdale. You are correct. Part of the recruiting process. Part of it is being driven bye his camp.
  • Phil Steele, aka., Not so Amazing is a member. Thanks for the advice. Re-read what I said. You are wrong on all accounts.
  • MgoBrett wrote:

He's the #1 recruit in the nation so of course there's going to be out of hand speculation regarding his recruitment.  Go back and look at the speculation surrounding previous #1 recruits starting with TP and I think you'll find the speculation surrounding Hand as rather tame by comparison...
  • My main thought was when the kid sneezes, it is a headline. Sorry for the silliness on my part. If someone is silently recruiting for us or any other team why would you not commit. You are bettering a team that you may not be a part of? Does not make a lot of sense.