The Horror II: The Return of Appalachian State

ScottsdaleBlue

• Total Posts : 17171
  • Reward points : 4271
The Horror II: The Return of Appalachian State Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:01 PM (permalink)
http://www.slate.com/arti...chedule_a_rematch.html

You probably remember the first time the University of Michigan played Appalachian State, though Michigan fans would prefer you didn’t. It was the opening weekend of the 2007 season, and Appalachian State won 34–32 in what may have been the biggest college football upset ever and the lowest moment in the 135-year history of the Wolverines program. The most prominent Michigan fan site, MGoBlog, refers to the game as “The Horror.”

You’d think that Michigan would want to eradicate every reminder that this game ever happened. Instead, at noon this Saturday on ESPN2, the Wolverines will give the world an occasion to remember that day of epic shame. Per a scheduling decision made by their athletic director, Dave Brandon, three years ago—which is to say, a decision made voluntarily rather than as a contractual obligation related to the original 2007 game—Michigan will once again open its season against the Appalachian State Mountaineers.

There is little upside here for Michigan. If they win, all they’ve done is beat an overmatched opponent (the Wolverines are 35-point favorites). And if they lose, they should just shut the whole program down.

Why is this game happening? And who, Michigan fans (like me) might be asking, can we blame? The answer, most directly, is Brandon, the athletic director.

Go Blue!!

Ohio St.'s actions are not unlike their lower intestine: stinky and loaded with danger.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message