Declining attendance a problem for schools

MJackson

• Total Posts : 854
  • Reward points : 2772
Declining attendance a problem for schools Monday, February 17, 2014 10:29 PM (permalink)
as noted in recent years, schools are worried about declining attendance rates, not only because empty seats equals less money now, but also potentially less money in the future when students become the alumni of tomorrow. 

This year, the University of Michigan drew the most fans of any school for the 16th year in a row. But 26 percent of students who paid for their tickets didn't show up at an average home game this season. That's an increase from 25 percent last year and 21 percent in 2011.

Not only did Michigan have more no-shows, they also only sold 19,850 student season tickets, about a 10 percent drop from the year before. Michigan added a $7.50 fee to each ticket this season to support student programs and also took away senior reserved seating in favor of a general admission policy which contributed to fewer people buying tickets.

Hoping to slow the slide, Michigan sent out a questionnaire to students at season's end, asking them why they might not have been happy with the stadium experience.

Adam Stillman, a senior at Michigan who attended all but one of the team's home games this year, shared his answers with ESPN.com. How he prioritized his answers might scare administrators, many of whom have looked to Wi-Fi connectivity as the answer to attracting younger fans. Stillman ranked sitting with friends, sitting close to the field, the outcome of the game, tailgating, the student section atmosphere, food specials and entertainment before the importance of Wi-Fi.

"I've kind of accepted that I'm not getting reception in and around Michigan Stadium," Stillman said. "The problem is in all the other areas. There's nothing to do while I'm waiting on line for an hour to get into the stadium, and there's little added value from being in the stands watching the game."

i had an idea to possibly keep everyone more entertained.  show highlights/live look ins of other games around the country on the jumbotrons during timeouts, halftime, etc.  not sure how that'd work in terms of schools gaining permission to show it, but it'd be awesome for the diehard CFB fans to see how other teams are doing when the alabamas, michigans, and florida states are blowing out southwestern idaho state 55-10

bashing of brandon in 3. . .2 . . .1

It's better to live one day as a Wolverine, than to live for 100 as a Buckeye

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages