Going for it on 4th down (strategy and time outs)

jthorp24

• Total Posts : 3215
  • Reward points : 3705
Going for it on 4th down (strategy and time outs) Thursday, January 02, 2014 12:28 AM (permalink)
I like David Shaw, but he made a few bonehead offensive moves that reminded me of Al Borges/Michigan offense. 

I cannot stand when a team has a 4th and short (obviously they are going for it) and they get up to the line and stand. It allows the defense to set up and make audibles. Stanford had a 4th and short in the 1st half, technically they didn't go to the line, but they stood there and the clock run down, then called a TO. After the TO they ran a dumb HB sweep. It reminded me of Borges... I know I'm not the only one who has realized how pathetic our offensive play calling is after TO's. Everyone here knows I was critical of the 2 point call in the OSU game... a large part of that had to do with the lack of urgency, if you are going to make that call... get to the line and snap the damn ball. Don't allow the D to make adjustments. Urban waited until we motioned the WR to call a TO. Then surprise, surprise, we came out in the exact same formation/play.

Almost a rinse/repeat at the end of the game for Stanford. In that situation I agree with Stanford's TO. They showed a formation/play. MSU calls TO. Stanford runs the same formation/play.

I know I'm ranting. I just hate slowing the game down before a 4th down attempt (or a 2 pt attempt). You have a much better chance at converting either play without allowing the D to set up and/or creating confusion.

I need to watch our bowl game again (don't really want to), but even on normal downs I'm tired of DG getting to the line and just standing there. (Not a shot at DG, but Borges) We never/rarely call audibles or hot routes. We allow the D to make adjustments while making none of our own.  

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message