Go Blue! A solid win after three weeks of turmoil was, well it was much needed, let's just say that. Pleased with the team's response, and as always one at a time! Clearly there are some things that still need some work, but this was a big step in the right direction for a very young team.
- Only 52 plays in the game, averaged 6.7 yds per play, scored touchdowns on five of their eight possessions for the game
- The halftime score was incredibly deceiving, Michigan ran 8 offensive plays in the first quarter and only had four drives total, had the defense been able to get a third down stop in the first half, the margin would've been greater than seven, or if the refs called one of the more blatant pass interferences we've seen in a while..
- Loved how we came out and ran the football to start the game, it wasn't always huge gaping holes, but the "holy crap how is half the defensive line meeting our halfback at the handoff" moment never happened.
- Tip of the cap to Borges, I loved the gameplan, I'm aware he has his detractors, but he called yet another real solid game yesterday: great use of Funchess, nice movement on the OL to create mismatches, got Derrick Green 11 carries to spell Fitz, and ran power with signs of life, additionally he never put Gardner in a position to have to try to drive the field on his own. 5 for 5 with all TDs in the red zone, 5 TDs in 8 possessions for the game, also 10 for 13 on 3rd downs.
- Devin wasn't his sharpest, but uh 13 for 17, 235 yds, 1 TD passing 1 TD rushing, and ZERO TURNOVERS is a stat line I'll take every week thank you. Yes his receivers made some plays on balls that were behind, but he also made some fantastic throws: the skinny post and the deep routes to Funchess were gorgeous. He stepped up in the pocket and apepared much more settled, and not one instance of spinning out of pressure with his back to the LOS! Only throw I really wish he had back was the missed 3rd down to Dileo.
- OL wasn't perfect, but MUUUUUUCH better. Bryant looked good pulling, he did give up the one sack, but all in all for his first college start, not bad. Gone were the hugely negative plays, there were holes and lanes available and Devin had a nice pocket to step up into throughout the game.
- Fitz ran hard, much less dancing, liked what I saw from him today. Derrick Green showed flashes of what he'll be capable of, some of the quick stops on his runs came when we were bleeding clock with Minnesota putting 9 in the box
- NO TURNOVERS!!!!
- Gave up one hugely frustrating drive, but otherwise, 13 points, only 7 yards per attempt in the passing game, and a total of 281 yards for the game
- First half was not pretty on third down (GET OFF THE FIELD!!!!!!!!), I believe Minnesota went 6 for 8 for the half, but ended up only going 8 for 15 for the game
- 136 yds on the ground, 76 of which came from Minny's QB, guh, that said, the adjustments made at the half really helped lock down their rushing attack
- I'm still uncertain exactly what Blake Countess's role in the secondary is, but it's clear that we are going to play "keep everything in front of us" football between the 20s. It is what it is at this point, we dialed up some more pressure througout the game, still only one sack and three TFLs was disappointing
- Two forced turnovers and a defensive score, always a positive
- Despite the love-fest that Ed Cunningham and Mike Patrick were giving Minnesota's QB, we held him to 200 yds of total offense with 2 turnovers and one TD, not exactly Dennis Dixon-esque
- D line continues to be unable to generate pressure on its own, if Jake Ryan is able to return next week, that'd be most awesome.
- Couple of blown assignments by LBs in coverage it appeared, TEs are giving us fits on middle routes.
- Countess got torched on an outside route late in the game that was badly underthrown, but it was almost as if he let the guy go thinking there'd be saftey help, not sure what happened there
- 51 yd punting average and a great flip-the-field punt, still no spread punt formation (sigh)
- Kickoff returns, Northfleet always seems so close to breaking into the second level....
All in all, nice win, better effort, bring on Penn State.